Class of 2015 - RB Jordan Fredericks (NY) Signed LOI | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 RB Jordan Fredericks (NY) Signed LOI

Syracuse RB commit Jordan Fredericks (@jfred_beastmode) wins Gatorade New York State Player of the Year award
They have made some crazy selections in recent years, including Mike Paulus and Tyler Rouse, but I think they got this one right.

Unless you count Greg Paulus, I believe this is the first NYS Gatorade POY to come to Syracuse since Clifton Smith in 1999.

Tyler Rouse 2013 Football RB C.W. Baker HS Baldwinsville NY
Akeel Lynch 2012 Football RB/DB St. Francis HS Athol Springs NY
Ishaq Williams 2011 Football DE/TE Abraham Lincoln HS Brooklyn NY
Dan Scalo 2010 Football QB Monroe-Woodbury HS Central Valley NY
Miguel Maysonet 2009 Football RB Riverheard HS Riverhead NY
Latavius Murray 2008 Football RB/LB Onondaga HS Nedrow NY
Mike Paulus 2007 Football QB Christian Brothers Academy Syracuse NY
Eric Olsen 2006 Football OT/DE Poly Prep Country Day Brooklyn NY
Greg Paulus 2005 Football QB Christian Brothers Academy Syracuse NY
Mike Hart 2004 Football RB Onondaga High School Nedrow NY
Ryan Poles 2003 Football OT/DT Canandaigua Acad. Canandaigua NY
Kwakuo Robinson 2002 Football OT/DT Poly Prep Country Day Brooklyn NY
Leon Williams 2001 Football TE/LB Canarsie Brooklyn NY
Sam Maldonado 2000 Football RB/DE Harrison Harrison NY
Clifton Smith 1999 Football LB/RB Freeport Freeport NY
Marquise Walker 1998 Football WR/DB Henninger Syracuse NY
Derrick Jones 1997 Football OT/DE Comsewogue Pt. Jefferson Station NY
Malik Campbell 1996 Football QB/DB Turner-Carroll Buffalo NY
Joel Stephens 1995 Football RB/DB Notre Dame Elmira NY
Brandon Williams 1994 Football TE/LB South Park Buffalo NY
Brian Underwood 1993 Football RB Lehman Bronx NY
Ron Brockington 1992 Football RB Hempstead Hempstead NY
Andre Johnson 1991 Football T/DT Southampton Southampton NY
Alcindor Coleman 1990 Football DL Aquinas Institute Rochester NY
Dorsey Levens 1989 Football RB/S Nottingham Syracuse NY
Antoine Moore 1988 Football RB Hempstead Hempstead NY
Bill Schoenle 1987 Football L Williamsville South Williamsville NY
Clarence Jones 1986 Football T Central Islip Central Islip NY

All those winners and yet only two Syracuse players - Clifton Smith and Malik Campbell.
bummer.

All those winners and yet only two Syracuse players - Clifton Smith and Malik Campbell.
bummer.

Was thinking same thing. And some talented guys from the Syracuse area on the list too (Levens, Walker, Hart, G. Paulus, Rouse).

Was thinking same thing. And some talented guys from the Syracuse area on the list too (Levens, Walker, Hart, G. Paulus, Rouse).

Paulus did play here. And I'm not sure Rouse is that great.

Lots of guys who I'm not familiar with. Either I have a shoddy memory (quite possible) or many of them didn't amount to much.

Paulus did play here. And I'm not sure Rouse is that great.

Taking credit for a year after playing basketball at Duke is a technicality, not a career.

Rouse had 9 carries for 59 yards and a touchdown against our defense. Had 6 carries for 54 yards against us last year. Call it what you want, but he certainly is a D1 back from our own back yard.

SUFan44 said:
Taking credit for a year after playing basketball at Duke is a technicality, not a career. Rouse had 9 carries for 59 yards and a touchdown against our defense. Had 6 carries for 54 yards against us last year. Call it what you want, but he certainly is a D1 back from our own back yard.

Cmon. Every guy on that list is talented. Rouse is okay - but he's no Mike Hart.

One of my favorite things about Fredericks is how stout he looks. You look at successful RBs in the NCAA and they've got wide legs, broad shoulders and a small waist. Makes some good cuts on some not-so-good grass, too.

Lots of guys who I'm not familiar with. Either I have a shoddy memory (quite possible) or many of them didn't amount to much.

Murray is playing for the Raiders right now. Olsen went to ND, kicked around the NFL for awhile.

I'm not going to freak out about Rouse.

Still essential to get as many kids like this in NY as possible.

It seems the staff has given up in many ways on the state. I don't think that is viable. Can you build the whole program in NY, no, but I'll say it again, demographics alone say that there will always be a decent number of D-1 quality athletes, if not game ready, football players in this state.

Murray is playing for the Raiders right now. Olsen went to ND, kicked around the NFL for awhile.

I'm not going to freak out about Rouse.
Sure I know some of the guys were successful like Walker and hart at UM, and Levens at ND and GT, but quite a few of them I'm not familiar with (Dan Scalo) or had less than successful careers (Maldonado).

Still essential to get as many kids like this in NY as possible.

It seems the staff has given up in many ways on the state. I don't think that is viable. Can you build the whole program in NY, no, but I'll say it again, demographics alone say that there will always be a decent number of D-1 quality athletes, if not game ready, football players in this state.
I'll assure you of this, they are working on their relationship with NY coaches/teams as much as any staff including Marrones. It may seem like we're not taking as many, but, I think that's because we haven't had to reach as much in the past to fill slots.

All the NY coaches I've been around like them.

Cmon. Every guy on that list is talented. Rouse is okay - but he's no Mike Hart.

Never said that he was - you sure like to put words in people's mouths. Simply stated there were talented kids from the Syracuse area on the list. Can't an observation simply be an observation? My goodness.

The point still stands that only two of the 28 players on that list (now 3 of 29) went to SU for football careers. Not a great percentage for "NY's College Team".

SUFan44 said:
Never said that he was - you sure like to put words in people's mouths. Simply stated there were talented kids from the Syracuse area on the list. Can't an observation simply be an observation? My goodness. The point still stands that only two of the 28 players on that list (now 3 of 29) went to SU for football careers. Not a great percentage for "NY's College Team".

Huh?

You: these guys are all local guys that are really talented that didn't play for us.

Me: one of those guys did play for us and the other guy is not exactly like others.

You: but he played basketball 1st, and the other guy is averaging 50 yds and a half a TD vs us

Me: Mike Hart was really good for Michigan (drawing a comparison to Rouse, 2 years in and a 3rd stringer on BC)

You: putting words in my mouth!

I wasn't arguing your point. I was pointing out that your example was lame.

I'll assure you of this, they are working on their relationship with NY coaches/teams as much as any staff including Marrones. It may seem like we're not taking as many, but, I think that's because we haven't had to reach as much in the past to fill slots.

All the NY coaches I've been around like them.

That's good to hear. There was a recent article about Rochester that seems to differ from that.

This kids tape is impressive. His stats are pretty crazy as well for the limited number of games they play in NY. I really like this class of running backs we have coming in. Don't know much about Perkins, although I thought his tape was the weakest out of the three. I think Strickland or Fredericks, and possibly both, could get decent carries next year. Would prefer if they redshirted, but they might be hard to keep off the field.

Congrats to Jordan. It's been a while since we landed a Gatorade Player of the year from any state. Antwon Bailey being the last. Some names on here that were solid players in the program.

Here's the ones that I could find that we've had, are there any others?

Malik Campbell - NY - 1996
Clifton Smith - NY - 1999
Greg Paulus - NY - 2005 (National Player of the Year)

Michael Owens - PA - 1986

Antwon Bailey - DC - 2008
Luke Cain - DC - 2002
Lawrence Moten - DC - 1990 (Played Basketball here - as you may know lol)

Tim Washington - CT - 2002

Derrell Smith - DE - 2006

Scott Freeney - GA - 1992

Bryce Bevill - MD - 1990

Diamond Ferri - MA - 2000

Ryan LaCasse - VT - 1995

Huh?

You: these guys are all local guys that are really talented that didn't play for us.

Me: one of those guys did play for us and the other guy is not exactly like others.

You: but he played basketball 1st, and the other guy is averaging 50 yds and a half a TD vs us

Me: Mike Hart was really good for Michigan (drawing a comparison to Rouse, 2 years in and a 3rd stringer on BC)

You: putting words in my mouth!

I wasn't arguing your point. I was pointing out that your example was lame.

And I pointed out that I didn't say Rouse was Mike Hart - you said that. He's a contributing D1 football player who would most likely be seeing action for us. He is seeing action for a program that is better than us right now. You need to stop trying so hard like has already been said.

And I pointed out that I didn't say Rouse was Mike Hart - you said that. He's a contributing D1 football player who would most likely be seeing action for us. He is seeing action for a program that is better than us right now. You need to stop trying so hard like has already been said.

Meh. You lumped Rouse in with those guys as guys we missed on, no? He's 5th in carries for BC. I'm fine with our guys and I don't think he'd play any more than he has for them.

Doesn't matter. I'm really sorry that this thread went that way it did. Too much time explaining simple points.

I'm really impressed with this kid and deserves better.

Congrats to Jordan. It's been a while since we landed a Gatorade Player of the year from any state. Antwon Bailey being the last. Some names on here that were solid players in the program.

Here's the ones that I could find that we've had, are there any others?

Malik Campbell - NY - 1996
Clifton Smith - NY - 1999
Greg Paulus - NY - 2005 (National Player of the Year)

Michael Owens - PA - 1986

Antwon Bailey - DC - 2008
Luke Cain - DC - 2002
Lawrence Moten - DC - 1990 (Played Basketball here - as you may know lol)

Tim Washington - CT - 2002

Derrell Smith - DE - 2006

Scott Freeney - GA - 1992

Bryce Bevill - MD - 1990

Diamond Ferri - MA - 2000

Ryan LaCasse - VT - 1995
Wasn't Deleone Carter Ohio's "Mr. Football"?

What was our involvement regarding LaTavius Murray?