Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're missing the point. He's definitely not the biggest recruit we have ever landed, which is what you said. We have had kids who were All Americans commit to us, who were absolutely national recruits. Just because it happened in the 80s or 90s doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think enough people have enough of a memory of the top players we received commitments from in the 80s and 90s to know that - just trying to fill you in as I know you are relatively new to the history of SU football.

I agree with what you said. He wouldn't be our biggest grab ever. I think what he would be is a big grab moving forward in trying to re-establish ourselves football wise. He would be the biggest recruit land of recent history and his commitment could have a postive domino effect with other recruits we are currently recruiting. Moving into the ACC and getting a recruit like that in the heart of ACC country would also be huge.

I'm gonna find out about Washington. They start school on Aug 7th. My daughter is gonna ask him if he is serious about Cuse. Not sure if he will give a "clean" answer or not. she also knows Robert's cousin quite well...I'll keep you all posted...

Doc I like your thinking. You have the inside scoop please keep us updated.

Can't we just all agree that if we get 1 of Robert Washington, Patrice Rene and Sonny Abramson (who all appear pretty interested in us) our 2016 class would be off to one hell of a start?

God forbid we actually netted more than one of them?

Also who cares if we had higher rated recruits in the past, the point is we haven't had a recruit as highly rated/offered as Washington in a long time, and it would be a heck of a step in the right direction to bringing us back to prominence.

They were national recruits and we landed a bunch of other kids who had even better offers and we're national kids to. Dulayne Morgan was a USA today all american. Damien Mallory was a parade aa. Kevin abrams and dewayne Joseph were big time kids with big 3 offers. Marvin Harrison was a parade aa, Kevin Johnson was an aa. Clifton smith was a top 100 by everybody's measure.

The only difference in today's day is how widely reported/known things are. Most of the kids mentioned above were probably comparable offer wise to Washington it just wasn't tweeted all over the place.

Johnnie Morant and James Mungro were also big time national recruits in addition to the names listed above. If I recall Morant was a top 3 WR coming out of high school.

Morant was a huge recruit:

Per USA Today:
High school: Attended Parsippany (N.J.) Hills High, playing football for coach Phil Longo...Parade All-American and rated the best receiver in the East and third best in the nation by Prep Star... Rated the No. 3 receiver and No. 24 recruit overall by Tom Lemming...Listed as the third-best receiver in the nation by Super Prep...

Per Tom Lemming:
At No. 3 (wide receivers nationally) is the most physical-looking wide-receiver prospect I've ever seen, --Johnnie Morant from Parsippany Hills, N.J. The son of a competitive body builder, this 6-5, 223-pounder looks like an NFL tight end. However, Morant brings more than just size and muscle to the table -- he's an extremely quick, agile and competitive receiver with exceptional pass-catching skills. Defenses have one heck of a time staying with this huge wide receiver with 4.4 speed. He is very tough over the middle and shows terrific separation speed. If he qualifies academically, he should be an impact player as a freshman. He's already visited Ohio State and Purdue and is also looking to visit South Carolina, Clemson, Florida State and Syracuse.

Tom Lemming

Pre-Season Top 100, #1 WR New Jersey, #1 overall prospect in New Jersey, #24 Overall

Tom Lemming Pre-Season “Super Team” Member

SuperPrep Pre-Season All-American, #3 WR, #1 New Jersey

SuperPrep Pre-Season Fifty

PrepStar Pre-Season Dream Team

USA Today Second Team All-American

SuperPrep Post-Season All-American, #4 WR, #1 New Jersey, #27 overall

Tom Lemming Post-Season All-American, #2 Northeast, #23 overall

PrepStar Post-Season Dream Team, #1 WR Northeast

PRESEASON

SuperPrep:

“He looks like a can’t-miss wideout with his speed, size and athletic ability. “Morant is the best WR I have ever seen,’ said one RC. He’s also a standout basketball player, which is evident when he’s stopping short and leaping over overmatched corners on his fade patterns. Favors SYRA, SO CAR and FSU, all tied at the top over a horde of other big-time programs. Johnnie made 39 catches last season, despite being targeted immediately as the team’s top downfield threat. 2.4/1030.”

Tom Lemming:

“One of the most impressive looking WR prospects I’ve seen over the past 20 years. This young man is also not bad on film, showing great size, explosive speed, terrific hands and outstanding leaping ability. In ‘98 he caught 38 passes for 899 yds and 14 TDs. I’ve seen every one of the nation’s top WR prospects in person and I rank Johnnie with Charlie Rogers. He is a freak of nature with a TE body and WR speed. Johnnie is a very tough receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. Known for his big play capabilities. He shows terrific separation speed after the catch and outstanding leaping ability. He is a pro-football player waiting to happen. On defense he totaled 68 tackles and 8 picks returning 3 of the picks back for scores. He also returned 2 kick-offs back for TDs. Just a phenomenal athlete and difference maker type of player who ranks as the #1 prospect in the state of New Jersey. The only drawback right now is that Johnnie’s GPA is around a 2.0 and he has not made his test score. In basketball he averages 16 points and 11 rebounds a game as a PFW. He has already been offered by OH STATE, NE, SYRACUSE, WV, NC, VA TECH and NC STATE just to name a few. A true prep superstar.”

Rivalnet:

"Yes. The first thing you probably asked was whether or not that size and speed combination is accurate. The answer is yes. Morant has a huge frame with gamebreaking speed, enabling him to dominate the opposition. As a junior, Morant hauled in 34 passes for 890 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also returned three kickoff returns for 234 yards and two touchdowns. Rushing the ball, Morant gained 161 yards on just four carries. He was a first-team all-everything selection last year. Morant, who carries a 2.3 GPA, is the most talented wide receiver prospect in the entire region. Over 60 schools have offered, but he syas Syracuse, South Carolina, Florida, Ohio State and Purdue are the finalists."

POSTSEASN:

SuperPrep:

“Double and triple coverage kept Johnnie's numbers down relative to last year (30 catches for 784 yds and 11 TDs), but he was still the best receiver in New Jersey. One of the best it's seen in years, in fact. Johnnie is quickly gaining thick muscle to his body, which is going to make him hard to bring down in the open field. And he's too fast to consider playing him at TE. He visited OHIO ST, PUR, SYRA and SO CAR in December and CLEM Jan. 7. He has already ruled out OHIO ST because of its size. 'It's just a little too big a school. I'm used to things a little smaller,' he says. He had received small-time interest for hoops. Sounds as though he wants a big time program with low student-to-teacher ratio. PUR was in the lead when we last spoke with Johnnie. 2.4/1030.”

PrepStar:

“The rangy youngster, who has been filling out tremendously in recent months, caught 28 passes for 784 yds and 10 TDs last fall, despite constant double and triple coverage. He is NJ’s best receiver and quite possibly its top overall recruit. He hopes to have things squared away by mid-Jan, but he hasn’t been able to fully devote himself to the process because of basketball season. He’s one of the top power forwards in his area. Morant showed speed on his kick returns, averaging 31 yds on 11 attempts. He visited Ohio St on 10-8, but ruled them out.”

Tom Lemming:

"One of the most impressive looking WR prospects I've seen over the last twenty years, this young man is also not bad on film showing great size, explosive speed and terrific hands. Johnnie is a very tough receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. This season he caught over 30 passes for 450 yds and 12 TDs. On defense he picked off 5 passes and tipped 9 at FS."

Per USA Today:
High school: Attended Parsippany (N.J.) Hills High, playing football for coach Phil Longo...Parade All-American and rated the best receiver in the East and third best in the nation by Prep Star... Rated the No. 3 receiver and No. 24 recruit overall by Tom Lemming...Listed as the third-best receiver in the nation by Super Prep...

Per Tom Lemming:
At No. 3 (wide receivers nationally) is the most physical-looking wide-receiver prospect I've ever seen, --Johnnie Morant from Parsippany Hills, N.J. The son of a competitive body builder, this 6-5, 223-pounder looks like an NFL tight end. However, Morant brings more than just size and muscle to the table -- he's an extremely quick, agile and competitive receiver with exceptional pass-catching skills. Defenses have one heck of a time staying with this huge wide receiver with 4.4 speed. He is very tough over the middle and shows terrific separation speed. If he qualifies academically, he should be an impact player as a freshman. He's already visited Ohio State and Purdue and is also looking to visit South Carolina, Clemson, Florida State and Syracuse.

Tom Lemming

Pre-Season Top 100, #1 WR New Jersey, #1 overall prospect in New Jersey, #24 Overall

PRESEASON

SuperPrep:

“He looks like a can’t-miss wideout with his speed, size and athletic ability. “Morant is the best WR I have ever seen,’ said one RC. He’s also a standout basketball player, which is evident when he’s stopping short and leaping over overmatched corners on his fade patterns. Favors SYRA, SO CAR and FSU, all tied at the top over a horde of other big-time programs. Johnnie made 39 catches last season, despite being targeted immediately as the team’s top downfield threat. 2.4/1030.”

Tom Lemming:

“One of the most impressive looking WR prospects I’ve seen over the past 20 years. This young man is also not bad on film, showing great size, explosive speed, terrific hands and outstanding leaping ability. In ‘98 he caught 38 passes for 899 yds and 14 TDs. I’ve seen every one of the nation’s top WR prospects in person and I rank Johnnie with Charlie Rogers. He is a freak of nature with a TE body and WR speed. Johnnie is a very tough receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. Known for his big play capabilities. He shows terrific separation speed after the catch and outstanding leaping ability. He is a pro-football player waiting to happen. On defense he totaled 68 tackles and 8 picks returning 3 of the picks back for scores. He also returned 2 kick-offs back for TDs. Just a phenomenal athlete and difference maker type of player who ranks as the #1 prospect in the state of New Jersey. The only drawback right now is that Johnnie’s GPA is around a 2.0 and he has not made his test score. In basketball he averages 16 points and 11 rebounds a game as a PFW. He has already been offered by OH STATE, NE, SYRACUSE, WV, NC, VA TECH and NC STATE just to name a few. A true prep superstar.”

Rivalnet:

"Yes. The first thing you probably asked was whether or not that size and speed combination is accurate. The answer is yes. Morant has a huge frame with gamebreaking speed, enabling him to dominate the opposition. As a junior, Morant hauled in 34 passes for 890 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also returned three kickoff returns for 234 yards and two touchdowns. Rushing the ball, Morant gained 161 yards on just four carries. He was a first-team all-everything selection last year. Morant, who carries a 2.3 GPA, is the most talented wide receiver prospect in the entire region. Over 60 schools have offered, but he syas Syracuse, South Carolina, Florida, Ohio State and Purdue are the finalists."

POSTSEASN:

SuperPrep:

“Double and triple coverage kept Johnnie's numbers down relative to last year (30 catches for 784 yds and 11 TDs), but he was still the best receiver in New Jersey. One of the best it's seen in years, in fact. Johnnie is quickly gaining thick muscle to his body, which is going to make him hard to bring down in the open field. And he's too fast to consider playing him at TE. He visited OHIO ST, PUR, SYRA and SO CAR in December and CLEM Jan. 7. He has already ruled out OHIO ST because of its size. 'It's just a little too big a school. I'm used to things a little smaller,' he says. He had received small-time interest for hoops. Sounds as though he wants a big time program with low student-to-teacher ratio. PUR was in the lead when we last spoke with Johnnie. 2.4/1030.”

PrepStar:

“The rangy youngster, who has been filling out tremendously in recent months, caught 28 passes for 784 yds and 10 TDs last fall, despite constant double and triple coverage. He is NJ’s best receiver and quite possibly its top overall recruit. He hopes to have things squared away by mid-Jan, but he hasn’t been able to fully devote himself to the process because of basketball season. He’s one of the top power forwards in his area. Morant showed speed on his kick returns, averaging 31 yds on 11 attempts. He visited Ohio St on 10-8, but ruled them out.”

Tom Lemming:

"One of the most impressive looking WR prospects I've seen over the last twenty years, this young man is also not bad on film showing great size, explosive speed and terrific hands. Johnnie is a very tough receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle and take a hit. This season he caught over 30 passes for 450 yds and 12 TDs. On defense he picked off 5 passes and tipped 9 at FS."

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

And despite that... he still played four seasons in the NFL.

I'd take that flop.

The only way Cecil Howard saw an NFL field was from the stands. Howard was the one ranked #13 by Lemming in 2000.

The only way Cecil Howard saw an NFL field was from the stands. Howard was the one ranked #13 by Lemming in 2000.
My bad, thought we were still talking about Morant.

If there ever was a case of foreshadowing (on Cecil Howard):

"
"The biggest reason he chose Syracuse is because he can play quarterback there," Smith said. "He was thrilled Penn State and Pitt would offer him. He was grateful and honored. He might have been a quarterback at those other schools, but he also might have been a defensive back or receiver, too."

Although Howard has a strong arm, he rarely threw last season for McKeesport, attempting only 42 passes. He helped McKeesport make the WPIAL Class AAAA championship game. In the first three playoff games, he averaged 256 yards rushing."

Of all the colleges he ended up transferring to, I haven't even been able to find any statistics for him at all. Not sure if he ever even played a down. He went from Syracuse to Youngstown State, to Duquesne, then to Northeastern, then to California University of PA (wherever the hell that is).

Last edited:
If there ever was a case of foreshadowing (on Cecil Howard):

"
"The biggest reason he chose Syracuse is because he can play quarterback there," Smith said. "He was thrilled Penn State and Pitt would offer him. He was grateful and honored. He might have been a quarterback at those other schools, but he also might have been a defensive back or receiver, too."

Although Howard has a strong arm, he rarely threw last season for McKeesport, attempting only 42 passes. He helped McKeesport make the WPIAL Class AAAA championship game. In the first three playoff games, he averaged 256 yards rushing."

Of all the colleges he ended up transferring to, I haven't even been able to find any statistics for him at all. Not sure if he ever even played a down. He went from Syracuse to Youngstown State, to Duquesne, then to Northeastern, then to California University of PA (wherever the hell that is).

Didn't he switch to fullback and transfer to a 1AA team?

Didn't he switch to fullback and transfer to a 1AA team?

Yeah sort-of, he did finally end up at Northeastern and sat out a transfer year, but I think they limited their program and he left there without ever playing. If he ever did play it was even further down the chain, I think that California university school is Division II.

Paul Fortenberry‏@Volquest_Paul 32m
One of the best junior running backs, Robert Washington (@RDubb_5), is already a top priority for Tennessee in 2016:

Great stuff, thanks!! Now where's the post commitment articles and quotes that we can relive ;)

Per USA Today:

Per Tom Lemming:

Tom Lemming

PRESEASON

SuperPrep:

Tom Lemming:

Rivalnet:

POSTSEASN:

SuperPrep:

PrepStar:

Tom Lemming:

Per twitter...
2016 4-star RB Robert Washington (@RDubb_5) says he will visit Syracuse on October 11th when they face Florida State

I wonder if he brings Aapari with him.
Hypothetically what would you prefer that day a Cuse win over FSU or a commitment by Washington. Of course the best scenario is if they both happen lol

Hypothetically what would you prefer that day a Cuse win over FSU or a commitment by Washington. Of course the best scenario is if they both happen lol

I would be outright shocked if either happened. in fact, i actually wish he would come a different week. I won't lie, I have to wonder what being in the house for an absolute tail-whipping would do to our chances, and I think it could only be a serious net negative. Then again nothing goes crazier than the dome after a massive upset.

I would be outright shocked if either happened. in fact, i actually wish he would come a different week. I won't lie, I have to wonder what being in the house for an absolute tail-whipping would do to our chances, and I think it could only be a serious net negative. Then again nothing goes crazier than the dome after a massive upset.
I'm thinking fsu crashes and burns this year. I think Winston falls apart this year and the lose to syracuse gets him benched never to be heard from again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom