Class of 2016 - RB Russell Halimon (GA) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Russell Halimon (GA)

Russell Halimon’s 261 yards and four touchdowns pace Buccaneers to 2-0 start
by Jeff Dickinson
MDJ Sports Correspondent The Marietta Daily Journal
August 30, 2014 02:18 AM | 2425 views | 0 | 8 | |

Allatoona’s Russell Halimon turns the corner and heads upfield against Villa Rica. Halimon rushed for 261 yards as the Buccaneers won 44-21.

VILLA RICA — For the second straight week, Allatoona played without Josh Bettistea, Cobb County’s leading rusher in 2013.

For the second straight week, it didn’t matter.

Russell Halimon ran for 261 yards and four touchdowns as the Buccaneers rolled to a 44-21 victory and a 2-0 record, both overall and in Region 5AAAAA.

The big night follows last week’s game against East Paulding, where Halimon ran for 193 yards to help lead Allatoona to victory.

“I’m not surprised at Russell’s success (Friday), because he’s one of the best backs in the state,” Varner said. “He did a great job, and our offensive line also did a great job.”

Halimon said he felt good about his chances to excel.

“I was confident coming into the game that I would do well,” he said. “We watched a lot of film on Villa Rica this week, and I ran against our defense in their formations, so I felt good about my chances.”

After two rushing touchdowns from Halimon and one from Bryant Dallas, Allatoona appeared on its way to an easy victory with a 21-0 lead.

But Villa Rica began to chip away at the lead. The Wildcats scored on a 10-yard run by quarterback Noah Smith with 2:21 left in the first half to cut the lead to 21-7 at the half.

The Wildcats then cut the lead to 21-16 on an 8-yard touchdown run and a safety with 6:42 left in the third quarter.

Allatoona punter Austin Gowin was run out of the back of his end zone after a high snap to cut the advantage to five points.

Two minutes later, quarterback Conner Larson connected with Zach Nichols on a 59-yard scoring pass to pad Allatoona’s lead to 28-16.

After that, Halimon scored touchdowns on a 25-yard run and a 1-yard plunge to put the game away.

Larson finished the game 6-for-12 with 150 yards a touchdown. Nichols caught three passes for 102 yards and a touchdown.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal