Class of 2015 - RB Tyrone Perkins (NY) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 RB Tyrone Perkins (NY) Signed LOI

I played high school basketball and football in Long Island and while the top divisions with bigger schools might produce some decent players, the smaller school divisions are awful. I'm 6'2 190 and while i am and have always been an athlete, I shouldn't be All-League in Basketball... as a Power Forward lol. Football is a little different as I was a Linebacker and Tight End but the talent we played against wasn't really gamechanging.
My school sent a couple kids to D-2 and D-3 but football-wise, I don't know of anyone I played against or heard of after my high school years in a smaller school division who went high D-1. As far as basketball goes, Our Savior is nasty and I remember Amityville's (I think) Jason Frazier and his UConn-bound point guard (forgot his name) coming into our gym to play against my younger brothers team a year or so after I graduated and they were literally playing And1 Ball dunking on everyone but football is pretty weak on Long Island.

Glad Perkins is onboard. I love the enthusiasm for new players.

But I have so many questions that we can't answer yet. Is Joe Adam already making in-roads downstate? Have we had a relationship with this kid for a year or two already? Does he have Cuse connections?

Or is he just a player who we caught early and liked us enough to pull the trigger?

This kid does look like a tank though.

Perkins is now rated 2 stars (5.4) on the Yahoo R*vals.
He would have been assigned a high three star rating with an after-the-season boost to four stars had he committed to BC.

He would have been assigned a high three star rating with an after-the-season boost to four stars had he committed to BC.

I would bet my car and house that not a single person at R*vals has reviewed this kid's film.

I would bet my car and house that not a single person at R*vals has reviewed this kid's film.
You could be right but Mike Farrel doesn't need to when BC is involved.

You're probably right but what would you give him based on his film? Hard to judge the kid. 5.4 is about right given the comp. That's what makes the 247 rating a bit of a head-scratcher but, hey, I'll take it.

A bit weird that no one else from the area as far as we know is sniffing around Perkins but Macfarlane didn't have any local FBS offers other than from SU either.

Sc*out said his rating will depend on if he goes to regional or national camps this summer.

Melvin Tuten!

Okay, here are my thoughts:

Friends Academy is a small school (379 kids in the HS) in the Northwestern area of Long Island, near Glencove. It is the only independent school that competes in the Nassau County Public High School Athletic Association. Like other private institutions, they tend to have some strong sports teams. In the last 5 years, they have won 2 state championships in basketball, 3 in boys soccer, 1 in girls soccer, 4 in women's rowing, etc.

Looks to me as though they are in the conference for the smallest schools in Nassau County, Conference 4, with schools like Carle Place, Clarke, Cold Spring and East Rockaway. To be fair, that conference also includes schools like Malverne, Manhasset and Roosevelt that have had some great players in the past. But the overall level of competition is not high, and I think you can see it on the film.

That being said, the kid has size and speed. Really like his balance, vision and the smoothness of his cuts. Looks like he has good hands too. He has the ability to be a full featured back, but with his size, he could also move to WR, CB, S or even LB. But I think he is going to stick as a RB.

Lastly, I really like that he is a terrific basketball player. That translates well for football, if you look at it, there is a strong pattern of success in football for players who played football and basketball at a high level in HS. That includes a lot of the best players we have ever had here, including Vic Hanson, Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Donovan McNabb, Rob Moore, Mike Williams and Terrel Hunt.

I see a lot of parallels with Naes. First commit, under the radar, in state, HS rb that can play a number of positions in college (rb, lb, safety), good frame. He looks a little more physically developed in HS. What's not to like?

Even for football they gave us James Wyche, Clifton Smith, Jerry Mackey as well his famous relative John Mackey. Rob Welsh and Devante Mac from this team as well.

I lived in LI for a few years the competition is quite good. D'Brickashaw Ferguson is from LI (Freeport) as well. And for basketball, Tobias Harris is from Half Hollow Hills.

Morlon Greenwood too. I think he was from Freeport same as Mackey.

Sc*out said his rating will depend on if he goes to regional or national camps this summer.

So basically if he goes to the camps, they'll do the proper analysis. If he doesn't, they slap some meaningless 2 star rating on him just like R*vals. I'd hate for these guys to actually earn their paycheck.

So basically if he goes to the camps, they'll do the proper analysis. If he doesn't, they slap some meaningless 2 star rating on him just like R*vals. I'd hate for these guys to actually earn their paycheck.
Right? It's not like he's playing in North Dakota. How hard is it to get to Long Island to check this kid out? Especially when it's literally your job.

Last edited:
Morlon Greenwood too. I think he was from Freeport same as Mackey.
Funny just the other day, a person retired from Bristol Lab visited me as a volunteer for the hospital. He mentioned working with Morlon summers and having him over for dinner where Greenwood wowed the entire family with his good looks, physic and great manners.

Greenwood was a late bloomer who carved out pretty decent career with the Dolphins and Texans.

He later took up fighting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom