Class of 2016 - RB/WR Sean Riley (CA) SIGNED LOI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB/WR Sean Riley (CA) SIGNED LOI

Kid would scare the shot out of me in the open field. Similar skill set to Brisly coming out of high school, I think he'll be better. Not just because this offense will yield better numbers, but, because I think he runs a little better, catches a little better and is a step quicker and a faster. Slot and return guy for sure.

I really like this pickup, a lot. There's always a spot for guys like this. Very dangerous.

What is the difference between a Gray Shirt and a walk-on?. Both have to pay their own way and try to make it on the field

What is the difference between a Gray Shirt and a walk-on?. Both have to pay their own way and try to make it on the field

A gray shirt is deferring his scholarship by a semester. So Riley would have paid for just the first semester at AZ. Still a lot of cash

Free Article

Syracuse lands a commitment from three-star athlete Sean Riley
4:20 PM
Sean Riley will be viewed by some as undersized without the ideal stature for a division one receiver. But he can fly, is electric in the open field, brings dynamic versatility and flat out makes plays. The Harbor City (Calif.) Narbonne High product took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend and decided to commit to the Orange before leaving campus.

"An explosive running back who can play in the slot and will be a dangerous return man," Scout Recruiting Analyst Greg Biggins said. "He's very quick and can hit his top end speed after just a few strides. He has a lot of wiggle, can make multiple defenders miss in the open field and shows great balance in being able to take a hit, bounce off and keep going.

"He has extremely quick feet, especially laterally and can stop and start and change direction as good as any back in the area."

Riley will come to Syracuse with the opportunity to play some receiver, some running back and also be a factor on special teams. That type of versatility combined with playmaking ability is a perfect fit for what new head coach Dino Babers wants to do with the Orange. He put up over 2,000 all-purpose yards as a senior.

Syracuse is still in the market for wide receivers in 2016, and Riley's commitment does not impact that. He will likely play the slot and some running back, where as players like four-star Desmond Fitzpatrick and three-star Malik Harrison are viewed as outside guys. They are still very much priorities for the Orange.

Fitzpatrick visits Syracuse the weekend of the 22nd, Harrison the 29th.

Despite being committed to Arizona for some time, Riley was looking around. The Wildcats asked him to greyshirt, meaning he would not arrive until the semester after the rest of the class. This was not received well by Riley or the folks at Narbonne High, and Syracuse become the benefactor of that situation.

Also of note, Narbonne's offensive coordinator is former NFL tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, who payed for Babers at Arizona. That connection helped the Orange get involved with Riley and his Narbonne teammates.

Free Article

Syracuse lands a commitment from three-star athlete Sean Riley
4:20 PM
Sean Riley will be viewed by some as undersized without the ideal stature for a division one receiver. But he can fly, is electric in the open field, brings dynamic versatility and flat out makes plays. The Harbor City (Calif.) Narbonne High product took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend and decided to commit to the Orange before leaving campus.

"An explosive running back who can play in the slot and will be a dangerous return man," . . . . . Recruiting Analyst Greg Biggins said. "He's very quick and can hit his top end speed after just a few strides. He has a lot of wiggle, can make multiple defenders miss in the open field and shows great balance in being able to take a hit, bounce off and keep going.

"He has extremely quick feet, especially laterally and can stop and start and change direction as good as any back in the area."

Riley will come to Syracuse with the opportunity to play some receiver, some running back and also be a factor on special teams. That type of versatility combined with playmaking ability is a perfect fit for what new head coach Dino Babers wants to do with the Orange. He put up over 2,000 all-purpose yards as a senior.

Syracuse is still in the market for wide receivers in 2016, and Riley's commitment does not impact that. He will likely play the slot and some running back, where as players like four-star Desmond Fitzpatrick and three-star Malik Harrison are viewed as outside guys. They are still very much priorities for the Orange.

Fitzpatrick visits Syracuse the weekend of the 22nd, Harrison the 29th.

Despite being committed to Arizona for some time, Riley was looking around. The Wildcats asked him to greyshirt, meaning he would not arrive until the semester after the rest of the class. This was not received well by Riley or the folks at Narbonne High, and Syracuse become the benefactor of that situation.

Also of note, Narbonne's offensive coordinator is former NFL tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, who payed for Babers at Arizona. That connection helped the Orange get involved with Riley and his Narbonne teammates.
Funny how those connection things go.

I thought Gronk went to ASU?

'Zona.

PHP4B50C880C90C6.jpg

How he is used should provide an interesting insight into Babers' coaching ability and philosophy. Will he devise a package for a threat like this? Or will Riley end up as a guy with a useful skill set who just gets lost in the shuffle? Riley is precisely the sort of player who, employed properly, can make a difference in terms of W's and L's. I'm psyched by this verbal! Up to the coaches now.

Symphony Steve said:
How he is used should provide an interesting insight into Babers' coaching ability and philosophy. Will he devise a package for a threat like this? Or will Riley end up as a guy with a useful skill set who just gets lost in the shuffle? Riley is precisely the sort of player who, employed properly, can make a difference in terms of W's and L's. I'm psyched by this verbal! Up to the coaches now.

I don't think there is a lot of mystery as to Babers ability or philosophy. He'll find a lot of ways to get the best weapons on the field and they'll be successful.

I don't think there is a lot of mystery as to Babers ability or philosophy. He'll find a lot of ways to get the best weapons on the field and they'll be successful.

You're probably right. My comment was kind-of a defense mechanism re other commits who displayed certain specific skills but who either ended up miscast or not cast at all...