Re: Advancing as a soccer player | Syracusefan.com

Re: Advancing as a soccer player

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Has anyone here gone through the soccer process as a player or a parent? I am starting it now with my youngest, who is advancing at a pretty pleasant rate: State Cup, ODP, etc. He is a goalie, and pretty good one.

We are considering looking at the Academy route, etc., but don't know much about it, except that now academy kids can't play HS ball. Alex Bono (#6 MLS pick, AA at SU) is from the same school as he is, and he is about the same size (6' 1/2") at the same age (14).

At 14, he of course has dreams of playing professionally. However, stuff I have read is really against the American college route for player development.

Any insight or experiences would be appreciated.

Has anyone here gone through the soccer process as a player or a parent? I am starting it now with my youngest, who is advancing at a pretty pleasant rate: State Cup, ODP, etc. He is a goalie, and pretty good one.

We are considering looking at the Academy route, etc., but don't know much about it, except that now academy kids can't play HS ball. Alex Bono (#6 MLS pick, AA at SU) is from the same school as he is, and he is about the same size (6' 1/2") at the same age (14).

At 14, he of course has dreams of playing professionally. However, stuff I have read is really against the American college route for player development.

Wow how things have changed. I played and my primary opportunities surrounded camps both state side and a couple in Europe along with some local AAU teams but didn't have the opportunities when it comes to academies or the knowledge about them at the time.

With that said I do have a family member who went through the collegiate system and wished he had gone through the academy route. The exposure is much better. Additionally it is still tough to find high quality competition and coaching going the HS/Collegiate route. But the decision does come down to how good you think he could be. Has he been given any recommendations from camp facilitators etc?

Wow how things have changed. I played and my primary opportunities surrounded camps both state side and a couple in Europe along with some local AAU teams but didn't have the opportunities when it comes to academies or the knowledge about them at the time.

With that said I do have a family member who went through the collegiate system and wished he had gone through the academy route. The exposure is much better. Additionally it is still tough to find high quality competition and coaching going the HS/Collegiate route. But the decision does come down to how good you think he could be. Has he been given any recommendations from camp facilitators etc?
Going to a camp next month that is run by the guy who does the color commentary for WWC. Hoping to get a good evaluation out of that. His ODP coach said he has potential to play pro. His goalie coach said he is at a D2 level now, and if he hits 6'2" he should be D-1 level (he is Albany asst.).
Had a former D-1 goalie who coaches and plays semi pro evaluate him. Thought he was 16 and LOVED him.
Of course, no one will give a definitive answer.

Going to a camp next month that is run by the guy who does the color commentary for WWC. Hoping to get a good evaluation out of that. His ODP coach said he has potential to play pro. His goalie coach said he is at a D2 level now, and if he hits 6'2" he should be D-1 level (he is Albany asst.).
Had a former D-1 goalie who coaches and plays semi pro evaluate him. Thought he was 16 and LOVED him.
Of course, no one will give a definitive answer.

That is definitely really good feedback. I am partial to the academy system myself with how far it has come. D1 vs D2 is a hard comparison to make for soccer because different positions develop at different rates and again there is just such a huge disparity in the level of competition from squad to squad. Glad you should get some good feedback at the upcoming camp.

I was a keeper, I grew up in moved to Ukraine at a young age so I grew up playing in there system and it's much more competitive I guess you could say, compared to North america... Anyways, I would definitely go the academy route and perhaps if your really ambitious maybe even England. We have a few kids I trained who play for the Bolton youth team over there...it's great development... Yes I know he's a young lad at 14 but getting into a youth squad wouldn't be too tough if he's good, it is much harder for keepers because they might have one already...

Your probably not looking at Europe, so my advice would be to go the academy route go to a good NCAA program and boom your in the MLS!

I was a keeper, I grew up in moved to Ukraine at a young age so I grew up playing in there system and it's much more competitive I guess you could say, compared to North america... Anyways, I would definitely go the academy route and perhaps if your really ambitious maybe even England. We have a few kids I trained who play for the Bolton youth team over there...it's great development... Yes I know he's a young lad at 14 but getting into a youth squad wouldn't be too tough if he's good, it is much harder for keepers because they might have one already...

Your probably not looking at Europe, so my advice would be to go the academy route go to a good NCAA program and boom your in the MLS!
His dream is Europe, but can't go by himself until 16. Not sure mom and dad are up for that.

Can someone tell me why the "Academy" won't allow "their" players to play with their friends on their HS teams? If it's all about 'potential' injuries, then that is just plain wrong. Kids can get hurt anywhere. I know AAU Basketball coaches that won't let "their" players play for other teams, and it's all about injury.

I just found out last month about the "Academy Rule" when one of my son's friends said that three of the district's best soccer players don't play for the HS team because of Academy. I'm just curious if it's about injury or if it's simply scheduling conflicts. I've heard both.

Can someone tell me why the "Academy" won't allow "their" players to play with their friends on their HS teams? If it's all about 'potential' injuries, then that is just plain wrong. Kids can get hurt anywhere. I know AAU Basketball coaches that won't let "their" players play for other teams, and it's all about injury.

I just found out last month about the "Academy Rule" when one of my son's friends said that three of the district's best soccer players don't play for the HS team because of Academy. I'm just curious if it's about injury or if it's simply scheduling conflicts. I've heard both.
Here is an article. It's really about a change in philosophy and expansion of the academy season. It's really what makes the decision tough.
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20131015/new-soccer-rules-put-pressure-on-families

How does his being a keeper factor into this? With the constant practice against fellow elite players I can definitely see how the academy route is the way to go for field players. But does the same hold true for keepers? Would club soccer + school soccer + keeper camps in the summer provide the same benefits as academy?

How does his being a keeper factor into this? With the constant practice against fellow elite players I can definitely see how the academy route is the way to go for field players. But does the same hold true for keepers? Would club soccer + school soccer + keeper camps in the summer provide the same benefits as academy?
Among the questions I am trying to figure out.

College is still an option if you want to be a pro but understand other players around the world in that age group (17-22) are in a pro environment everyday and are tested and pushed. no school work or NCAA BS in the way.

If the dream is being a pro, go the Academy route.

It does given the style of play involves more skill and possession that helps development of being s leader in the back, providing support with your feet and all around generally facing more skillful attacking talent.

Goalies generally have a later "peak" in their career due to better knowledge of positioning on the field, feel, leadership etc.

Guys like David De Gea or Casillas that come in at 20-21 and are great is quite rare. I'd venture a guess to say a goalie's peak is somewhere from maybe 28-35.

Nick Rimando is 36 and still one of the best in MLS and a national team keeper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom