Realignment - where the wind comes whistling | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Realignment - where the wind comes whistling

I think it's about time we "break" another story. But what hasn't been rumored by now that we can recognize when it goes viral?
Michigan wants to be with UVA, UNC and Duke so bad they are in secret talks with the ACC. Sticking points include who they can bring along and how to dump little brother MState.

Michigan wants to be with UVA, UNC and Duke so bad they are in secret talks with the ACC. Sticking points include who they can bring along and how to dump little brother MState.
I heard the same thing. It's contingent on ND joining for all sports.

I heard the same thing. It's contingent on ND joining for all sports.
I'm hearing Penn State but things could change.
Oh, you've done it now!!! Greensboro is going to put SU on double secret probation for revealing the confidential negotiations!!!! Now their efforts are going to fall apart and it will be all your fault. couchburn I hope you're satisfied. :mad:

It's all coming together now, gents. Now we understand how Oklahoma to the B1G works. Hat tip to SU2NASA! The only remaining questions are who Michigan brings along and who tags along with Oklahoma as backfill for the B1G.

It's all coming together now, gents. Now we understand how Oklahoma to the B1G works. Hat tip to SU2NASA! The only remaining questions are who Michigan brings along and who tags along with Oklahoma as backfill for the B1G.
I'm hearing Kansas...the ACC wants another Hoops school.

I'm hearing Kansas...the ACC wants another Hoops school.
No, we're going to re-offer Texas the deal we eventually gave to ND. They turned it down the first time, per one of our board's gurus, but with the Big XII collapsing around them, they'll have no other choice but to take it this time. Imagine what the meltdown on the WVU boards would look like if that happened!

No, we're going to re-offer Texas the deal we eventually gave to ND. They turned it down the first time, per one of our board's gurus, but with the Big XII collapsing around them, they'll have no other choice but to take it this time. Imagine what the meltdown on the WVU boards would look like if that happened!
My source in WV said...Remain Calm, all is well!

I don't think UNC could leave without NC State. They're joined at the hip by the politicians in Raleigh. I don't know if this is still true, but when I was at Duke grad school, Easter Monday was a state holiday supposedly so the legislators could attend the UNC/State baseball game. My guess is that UVa/Va Tech and Oklahoma/OSU are in a similar position. :rolleyes:

My sources are telling me that Penn State is souring on its reduced stature in the conference and its only east coast colleagues being Maryland and Rutgers.

I hear Penn State to the ACC is imminent.

Fun fact: Michigan voted to keep Michigan State out of the Big Ten.

I don't think UNC could leave without NC State. They're joined at the hip by the politicians in Raleigh. I don't know if this is still true, but when I was at Duke grad school, Easter Monday was a state holiday supposedly so the legislators could attend the UNC/State baseball game. My guess is that UVa/Va Tech and Oklahoma/OSU are in a similar position. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, as would be well attested on our board, the then-governor did weld us together back in 2003. Now, however, we wouldn't be welded together if both are afforded soft landings in the grown-up conferences. The UNC-CHeat and NCSU fans also seem to believe that's true for both of them. I think T. Boone and Okie Light would call in markers with the state leadership to be attached to OU unless they get a soft landing, too. Just to create an example, if the Okies went to the B1G and Okie Light was offered a spot in the Pac-12, they wouldn't try to raise a rukus about it. The key to making any of the splits is that both have to like where they're going to end up.

My sources are telling me that Penn State is souring on its reduced stature in the conference and its only east coast colleagues being Maryland and Rutgers.

I hear Penn State to the ACC is imminent.
I can confirm that and my B1G contacts have said that the conference has already reached out to UMass, UB, and Temple - either to appease PSU in an eastern division or as a potential replacement(s) if/when they leave for the ACC. Talks with UB have broken down, which explains why they recently abandoned their NY's Flagship marketing scheme and are reverting to a Buffalo focus.

I can confirm that and my B1G contacts have said that the conference has already reached out to UMass, UB, and Temple - either to appease PSU in an eastern division or as a potential replacement(s) if/when they leave for the ACC. Talks with UB have broken down, which explains why they recently abandoned their NY's Flagship marketing scheme and are reverting to a Buffalo focus.

And UConn still doesn't get a call...

Oh, you've done it now!!! Greensboro is going to put SU on double secret probation for revealing the confidential negotiations!!!! Now their efforts are going to fall apart and it will be all your fault. couchburn I hope you're satisfied. :mad:

My sources on the Hill (Syracuse and Washington) are indicating that the Stealthmeister in Greensboro may be a bit perturbed at this leak. However, news is trickling in from other ACC sources which seem to confirm these rumblings.

My sources on the Hill (Syracuse and Washington) are indicating that the Stealthmeister in Greensboro may be a bit perturbed at this leak. However, news is trickling in from other ACC sources which seem to confirm these rumblings.
You hearing whispers?

Makes sense

And for goodness sake never out them regardless of how ridiculous they make you look when the exact opposite of what they told you happens!!! They could be right the next time.

Oh God, the next time I hear about whispers, and stealth, and ninjas, I'm going to flip.
I'm hearing that the ACCN will be announced any day now, but no later than football media days. That should keep the realignment chatter to a minimum for a while.

Since this is kinda related to realignment, why don't the P5 schools push for the attendance requirement to be enforced? And/or up it to 25k average attendance? This came to mind again because of the situation at EMU.

Last year 10 schools didn't meet the 15k requirement. Another 36 failed to get 25k. There are 15 schools who play in stadiums of 25k or less. Why are these schools in the same division as P5 schools?

Going back over a 3 year period:

2015: 10 schools were under 15k and 46 under 25k with the lowest P5 at 26,427
2014: 9 under 15k and 43 under 25k with lowest P5 at 27,210
2013: 6 under 15k and 45 under 25k with lowest P5 at 26,062

Looking at cumulative average over the last 3 years:

8 schools average less than 15k
45 schools average less than 25k
3 P5 schools average less than 30k with the lowest at 26,602
3 of the 12 AAC schools average less than 23k
10 of the 14 CUSA schools average less than 21k with an 11th under 25k
11 of 13 MAC schools average less than 20k with a 12th and 13th under 21k
7 of 12 MWC schools average less than 25k
8 of 11 Sun Belt schools average less than 19k with a 9th, 10th, and 11th under 25k

All of the MAC, all of the Sun Belt, pretty much all of CUSA, and half of the MWC really belong in the FCS. Instead of 129 schools there should be 84, with 65 of those being P5 schools. The 9 AAC schools should add the 3 left over CUSA schools to get to 12. The 5 MWC schools would need to get BYU to join otherwise they would have to go Indy. Or hope that the B12 expands so they can join the AAC.

Another option to cut the fat would be stadium size. Require all FBS stadiums to be 40k. If a schools wants to stay in the FBS they need to commit by adding seats. There are 49 schools playing in stadiums under 40k with 2 of them being P5 schools. Washington State would need to add 7k seats and Wake 8.5k if they want to stay. Of the non P5 schools only Army (2k), Marshall (2K), and New Mexico (775) would be able to get there without an expensive renovation. Boise State has renovation plans to get over 40k already. So the capacity requirement would only knock out Army (who can't compete anyway) and Navy to the 45 above, while maybe subtracting out New Mexico and Rice (if they chose to stay). Or if you require both a 25k average and a 40k minimum stadium, you can keep out Rice for a total of 46 schools being "relegated" to FCS. Which would get the AAC to 11 schools and the MWC to 6 schools (assuming Boise State and New Mexico 23k/39k decide to stay) or 7 if BYU joins. The total FBS schools would be 83, with 65 in the P5.

Since this is kinda related to realignment, why don't the P5 schools push for the attendance requirement to be enforced? And/or up it to 25k average attendance? This came to mind again because of the situation at EMU.

Last year 10 schools didn't meet the 15k requirement. Another 36 failed to get 25k. There are 15 schools who play in stadiums of 25k or less. Why are these schools in the same division as P5 schools?

Going back over a 3 year period:

2015: 10 schools were under 15k and 46 under 25k with the lowest P5 at 26,427
2014: 9 under 15k and 43 under 25k with lowest P5 at 27,210
2013: 6 under 15k and 45 under 25k with lowest P5 at 26,062

Looking at cumulative average over the last 3 years:

8 schools average less than 15k
45 schools average less than 25k
3 P5 schools average less than 30k with the lowest at 26,602
3 of the 12 AAC schools average less than 23k
10 of the 14 CUSA schools average less than 21k with an 11th under 25k
11 of 13 MAC schools average less than 20k with a 12th and 13th under 21k
7 of 12 MWC schools average less than 25k
8 of 11 Sun Belt schools average less than 19k with a 9th, 10th, and 11th under 25k

All of the MAC, all of the Sun Belt, pretty much all of CUSA, and half of the MWC really belong in the FCS. Instead of 129 schools there should be 84, with 65 of those being P5 schools. The 9 AAC schools should add the 3 left over CUSA schools to get to 12. The 5 MWC schools would need to get BYU to join otherwise they would have to go Indy. Or hope that the B12 expands so they can join the AAC.

Another option to cut the fat would be stadium size. Require all FBS stadiums to be 40k. If a schools wants to stay in the FBS they need to commit by adding seats. There are 49 schools playing in stadiums under 40k with 2 of them being P5 schools. Washington State would need to add 7k seats and Wake 8.5k if they want to stay. Of the non P5 schools only Army (2k), Marshall (2K), and New Mexico (775) would be able to get there without an expensive renovation. Boise State has renovation plans to get over 40k already. So the capacity requirement would only knock out Army (who can't compete anyway) and Navy to the 45 above, while maybe subtracting out New Mexico and Rice (if they chose to stay). Or if you require both a 25k average and a 40k minimum stadium, you can keep out Rice for a total of 46 schools being "relegated" to FCS. Which would get the AAC to 11 schools and the MWC to 6 schools (assuming Boise State and New Mexico 23k/39k decide to stay) or 7 if BYU joins. The total FBS schools would be 83, with 65 in the P5.
I could just imagine all the creative attendance games that would be played. A cottage industry of "attendance consultants" would be created to help schools boost attendance figures.