Realistic expectations for Hop's nine games | Syracusefan.com

Realistic expectations for Hop's nine games

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
1-1 with seven more to go. Even if the team doesn't play well we should win the next four games (@St Johns, Cornell, Montana State and Texas Southern. That would give Hop a record of 5-1. That would leave @Pitt, @Miami and home vs Clemson. Can the team steal one of the road games and go 2-1 and give Hop a 7-2 record. Is that realistic?

I think we can take Clemson at home. The Pitt and Miami games - man, that seems out of reach to me, even if JB was at the helm.

Miami is the real deal. Team would have to shoot close to 50% to win that one. Pitt-----tough place to play but I think they could get that one.

@ Pitt and Miami is a tall order for sure. If the boys play how they did in Bahamas they're winnable - but if shots aren't falling like vs Wiscy and gtown, well you know

edit: that is to say, we'll definitely need to outscore Pitt and Miami

1-1 with seven more to go. Even if the team doesn't play well we should win the next four games (@St Johns, Cornell, Montana State and Texas Southern. That would give Hop a record of 5-1. That would leave @Pitt, @Miami and home vs Clemson. Can the team steal one of the road games and go 2-1 and give Hop a 7-2 record. Is that realistic?
I think we win our next 4. Beat Clemson at home but lose to both Pitt and Miami on the road.

There is no team in college basketball more comfortable against our zone than Pitt -- we will have to play extremely well to win that game.

Not only that, but this year's zone is probably not quite has good as ones we've had in the past. Malachi on the wing has be late with his shifts lots of times. Lydon is not really a center. It's going to be tough against Pitt. Who knows, maybe they will come out blistering the nets from 3-point range. That's going to be how this team is all season.

Not only that, but this year's zone is probably not quite has good as ones we've had in the past. Malachi on the wing has be late with his shifts lots of times. Lydon is not really a center. It's going to be tough against Pitt. Who knows, maybe they will come out blistering the nets from 3-point range. That's going to be how this team is all season.

DC needs to play like the 23-year-old 270 lb senior center that he is in that game.

6-3 is the over/under. More wins than that is gravy, less could put them in the bubble talk as the new year begins. I predict he hits that bogey as these next few games will allow him to set his rotations for defense and rebounding, running and gunning, or applying pressure as needed. They will compete in all of the games.

We had this same thread a while ago. When it was all ACC teams I said 5-4. Now I'm leaning toward 6-3.

Bottom line, we don't win at Pitt even when we are great and they suck (unless miracles happen like the TE shot). As much as I hate that, it is true. So that was a loss already and shouldn't count.

Oh, plus I decided to vacate all our losses to Pitt, so I never care about that game anyway.

Bottom line, we don't win at Pitt even when we are great and they suck (unless miracles happen like the TE shot). As much as I hate that, it is true. So that was a loss already and shouldn't count.

Oh, plus I decided to vacate all our losses to Pitt, so I never care about that game anyway.

You r a Joy.

You r a Joy.
You are a national treasure.

Pitt is going to get atleast 15 offensive rebounds against us.

To answer the OP

I see 6-3 w/Ls Gtown/Pitt/Miami.

Miami is my pick to win the ACC regular season.

yep, the only thing with Pitt though of late is they play poor defense - so as I said above, if we're shooting a high % from 3 and can reach the 80s or high 70s we could pull one out

We literally cannot rebound. 6-3 sounds like a very reasonable expectation (with the loss to Town in there already). Anything better and i'll be very impressed w how the team is improving

You r a Joy.

He's absolutely right, though. Jamie Dixon is extremely savvy at teaching his guys how to make high-low passes and effective cuts against our zone, and they carve us up year after year after year.

I would expect to win the next 3, we should beat Clemson at home, and beating Miami on the road is going to be really tough. Pitt is always a nightmare regardless of who is coaching, I say we lose two more, hopefully I am wrong.

7-2, losing at either Pitt or Miami.

Same as I would expect if JB were at the helm.

With same complaints that bench is too short, Cooney shoots too much, team is too reliant on the 3-ball, defense at back of zone is vunerable, rebounding is inconsistent and playing zone exclusively is a bad idea.

I forgot when we did our preseason predictions, that was before they changed JB's suspension. I was wondering how I came up with 4-5 or whatever I predicted them. But I'm going with 7 -2. I think we can beat Clemson and somehow split Miami and Pitt. I have a better feeling about the Pitt game even though I know it goes against our history with them and we really might struggle inside with them.

Remember that by the time of the Pitt game the referees will have completely forgotten about this whole freedom of movement thing and tighter calls on hand checks, etc. That combined with the incredibly non-physical type of players we have means that game will be a blood bath. We will be playing basketball and they will be playing rugby, just like always. Yeah, we'll win if we go 13 for 29 from 3, but what are the odds of doing that against the festival of moving screens, eye gouging, and other Pitt staples?

Remember that by the time of the Pitt game the referees will have completely forgotten about this whole freedom of movement thing and tighter calls on hand checks, etc. That combined with the incredibly non-physical type of players we have means that game will be a blood bath. We will be playing basketball and they will be playing rugby, just like always. Yeah, we'll win if we go 13 for 29 from 3, but what are the odds of doing that against the festival of moving screens, eye gouging, and other Pitt staples?
Do they have any foreign dudes on their roster this year?

This team lives and dies with the three, unlike anything I've seen in my past hundred years. As I believe JB said, "If we don't hit those shots, we don't beat anyone, not anyone, not ANYONE!" May be slightly paraphrased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom