Recruiting: '16 QB Commit Rex Culpepper - Torn ACL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: '16 QB Commit Rex Culpepper - Torn ACL

if the dr gross curse was still in effect - this would have happened 3 hours before his first su start

Moontan said:
His team reeled off 5 straight wins to reach the 7-on-7 tournament final. Perhaps they were short-handed at receiver? Rex was out there competing and keeping active.

You'd probably rail him for playing a pickup hoops game, riding his bike, or stumbling down the stairs as well.

This is a very good point. I think too many people want these kids to stop living a normal life once they commit. These are athletic kids. They need to play. He could very easily injure his acl in a workout doing an agility drill.

Rough news for one of our top recruits. Fortunately he's got this full year to recover, plus a redshirt year once he gets to SU. He's expected to be on campus in January, so the downside is this means he's almost certain to miss spring practice due to rehab.

I guess Dungey and Womack move up one rung on the ladder. I hope all heals well and he can get back to full ability by next fall.

You'd probably rail him for playing a pickup hoops game, riding his bike, or stumbling down the stairs as well.

I possibly might if he fell off his bike.

:D

Well now I hope Lester will stop thinking about moving Dungey and Womack until August 2016 at the absolute earliest. Culpepper can focus completely on getting healthy for Jan 17.

Full_Rebar said:
Well now I hope Lester will stop thinking about moving Dungey and Womack until August 2016 at the absolute earliest. Culpepper can focus completely on getting healthy for Jan 17.

I'm sure it's all fluid.

while playing wideout? still seems strange but I will stop typing.

edit: I hate to edit posts but I am editing in this case. if the kid is committed to SU as a QB why the . . . . is playing wideout at some shitty camp months before he could be on campus. sometine aint right here.

Yes' he should lock himself in a rubber room for 6 months preparing to be a RS frosh for Syracuse. Please... He's 17 year old kid competing and having fun, my god.

Tough to see this happen to such a young kid, but he should be able to rehabilitate faster given his age. I hate seeing this happen to 30 year old individuals in the NFL/MLB, etc. because it basically is a career-ender unless they're in the upper 10% of the league. Hell, hate to see it happen to people who don't play professional sports at all.

Anyone else surprised by the significant increase in ACL/MCL tears or Tommy John surguries from the late 90's to now? Is it due to mis-diagnosing these injuries in the past? Anyone have an article which dives into this, I'd love to give a read.

That said, there have been significant advancements in the pre-op and post-op recovery for this injury. I have no concerns that Rex will get back to 100%, given his families access and financial situation. Plus, he's Orange, and we've seen SU committed athletes recover well, though mostly on the basketball side (CJ Fair/Rautins/Devendorf).

can you at least admit that the kid had nothing else to prove, but apparently got hurt playing somewhere he didn't need to be playing
He's a 17 year old kid. Kids play sports. This could have happened anytime as it's obvious the tendons in the knee were weak. He could have done it carrying groceries into the house and stepping awkwardly. Just because the kid committed to play college football doesn't mean he shuts down life and lives in an incubator. I'd be more concerned with a kid committing and shutting himself off from his world. That would be a pretty major red flag.

Now he gets to rehabilitate and build his legs before he even steps on campus.

Tough to see this happen to such a young kid, but he should be able to rehabilitate faster given his age. I hate seeing this happen to 30 year old individuals in the NFL/MLB, etc. because it basically is a career-ender unless they're in the upper 10% of the league. Hell, hate to see it happen to people who don't play professional sports at all.

Anyone else surprised by the significant increase in ACL/MCL tears or Tommy John surguries from the late 90's to now? Is it due to mis-diagnosing these injuries in the past? Anyone have an article which dives into this, I'd love to give a read.

That said, there have been significant advancements in the pre-op and post-op recovery for this injury. I have no concerns that Rex will get back to 100%, given his families access and financial situation. Plus, he's Orange, and we've seen SU committed athletes recover well, though mostly on the basketball side (CJ Fair/Rautins/Devendorf).
yeah, at the end of the day we just kind of have to forget about him for a while, as fans...we have that luxury.

of all the positions to play and have a torn acl, probably QB is the least inhibitive...well that is if hes a drop-back QB.

if hes a scrambler, then all bets are off for sure, but stereotyping him...i dont think thats the case.

he can still put together a nice college career, but even with bofo-#s, hes probably looking at being a 4th rounder at best.

best of luck! see you in a few years, kid.

yeah, at the end of the day we just kind of have to forget about him for a while, as fans...we have that luxury.

of all the positions to play and have a torn acl, probably QB is the least inhibitive...well that is if hes a drop-back QB.

if hes a scrambler, then all bets are off for sure, but stereotyping him...i dont think thats the case.

he can still put together a nice college career, but even with bofo-#s, hes probably looking at being a 4th rounder at best.

Rex was considered mobile, but definitely not a dual-threat. Think he's more Nassib than Terrell Hunt, with less arm strength and more touch (compared to Nassib). 6'3" and 230 lbs, so he wasn't going to outrun most LB's, but the scouting report was that he took no issue with lowering the shoulder to pick up a few extra yards.

It's a 17 year old kid with an ACL tear. I feel like this is being dissected and stressed about excessively.

And am I missing something? Surgery is today. It takes about six months to return to full activity. He shouldn't miss much if any...even if he is enrolling in January.

BTW about James Andrews. He's 73 years old, and if you go to him you're just as likely to be operated on by a trainee, maybe moreso.

I'm sure there's no shortage of experienced, fellowship trained knee surgeons in the Tampa area.

How can you say what round a high school kid is at best going to go in? On the fact of it, that is ridiculous.

He's a 17 year old kid. Kids play sports. This could have happened anytime as it's obvious the tendons in the knee were weak. He could have done it carrying groceries into the house and stepping awkwardly. Just because the kid committed to play college football doesn't mean he shuts down life and lives in an incubator. I'd be more concerned with a kid committing and shutting himself off from his world. That would be a pretty major red flag.

Now he gets to rehabilitate and build his legs before he even steps on campus.
Agreed. Is he a high schooler or Kobe beef?

On the bright side, at least we don't have to worry about him having a monster senior year and getting poached from us by the usual barracudas.

How can you say what round a high school kid is at best going to go in? On the fact of it, that is ridiculous.
i did no such thing.

i merely stated the correct opinion that a college QB with boffo college #s, will find that NFL teams will stay away from him in the early rounds if he already had a torn ACL.

It's not relevant how it's working out now. You said NFL teams stay away from players with ACL tears. I showed you were wrong.
fine.

smart NFL teams.

i stand corrected.

*i acutally had "most" written, but edited it. glad i did, its always fun to watch dasher get all hot and heavy...

it is sad you had to fight his battle for him, guess hes lost a step...

fine.

smart NFL teams.

i stand corrected.

*i acutally had "most" written, but edited it. glad i did, its always fun to watch dasher get all hot and heavy...

it is sad you had to fight his battle for him, guess hes lost a step...

Not fighting anyones battle. I find it difficult to believe that anyone can believe that a ACL tear between 11th and 12th grade will have more than a negligible impact on draft evals four years down the road.