Recruiting at Syracuse - I was Wrong | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting at Syracuse - I was Wrong

I'd always say...if the basketball program could recruit at a national level then so could SU football. If a northern school like Michigan, Ohio State or PSU could recruit at a national level then so could SU football. But deep down I didn't think they could. Not only has Fran proven that, he's proved it in the first few weeks and months! I mean, holy crap. Put up a 9/10 win season and now we are a program that can recruit on its on field success.

As long as we get 8, kids will not decommit, IMO. And oh my goodness, do we have a ton of quality players in the pipeline. Just get to 8, and the rest is gravy.

If we get past (1) Ga. Tech home a little early in the season, (2) UNLV in our first road game, and then (3) NC State at home, then by mid-October we will be in the national conversation on TV, that we are dark horse competitors in the ACC.

Fran and the staff are the reason kids are selecting Syracuse. They resonate with the kids and as importantly with the parents. Fran and his staff represent what many parents live. When he tells a parent im going to make your son a better man, husband, father they know he's genuine. The Fit between Fran and the majority of kids he is recruiting and their families is as strong as it could ever be. He is as close to being family as any coach could ever be.
Add that he is now not just a DB assistant working in Georgia. He is the head coach of a school that is in their neighborhood. Many of his assistant coaches and staff are also like family. Same backgrounds, same faith foundation.
A kid, mother, father, or guardian of one of these kids meets Fran and his staff and im sure they see a young man who reminds them of their child who grew up in exactly the same environment as they live in and became a successful, faith based Husband and Father.
Its simple. His connection is real because it's organic in nature.
Add in the strength of SU. Its history of being in a leadership position of inclusion. First... fill in the blanks to do...
The proximity to the players and their families. The promise of an alumni base that takes care of their own. A degree that is strong. Especially in the region.
It becomes obvious why Fran is doing well and others who weren't a FIT have failed.
What did Gerg have in common, Scott, Dino had race and faith but his culture and background wasn't a FIT.
Fran checks every box.
His success is when not if.
The guys special.

All due respect to Bob Chesney, but he never would have built up the program like this. Basically across the board from assistants, to recruits, to alumni/fan interest. I think he's a quality coach but this situation needed a specialized individual. So much of what has been done has been based on relationships.
FIT

As long as we get 8, kids will not decommit, IMO. And oh my goodness, do we have a ton of quality players in the pipeline. Just get to 8, and the rest is gravy.

If we get past (1) Ga. Tech home a little early in the season, (2) UNLV in our first road game, and then (3) NC State at home, then by mid-October we will be in the national conversation on TV, that we are dark horse competitors in the ACC.
Isn’t NCS on the road?

8? With this schedule and proven players at key positions? Have you compared schedules? The amount of proven, veteran players that will need to be replaced? Absolutely no reason this team can’t win big in year 1. Nothing wrong with setting high expectations.

8? With this schedule and proven players at key positions? Have you compared schedules? The amount of proven, veteran players that will need to be replaced? Absolutely no reason this team can’t win big in year 1. Nothing wrong with setting high expectations.

That’s got to be our floor for this year to be successful and maintain momentum.

I never implied that was the ceiling. Watching the spring game, I saw lots of good things. But we are still a few pieces short.

That’s got to be our floor for this year to be successful and maintain momentum.

I never implied that was the ceiling. Watching the spring game, I saw lots of good things. But we are still a few pieces short.
Schedules matter. We have a better chance to be successful this year than next, especially with a ton of question marks that will need to be answered. Not having to play Clemson, UNC, ND, Tennessee , and the rest of our schedule trumps the few holes we have this year. Have seniors like McCord, Diggs, Wax, and Barron can take you a long way against one of the easiest schedules in the country . Any time your best players are experienced 4th and 5th year seniors it covers up some holes.

Schedules matter. We have a better chance to be successful this year than next, especially with a ton of question marks that will need to be answered. Not having to play Clemson, UNC, ND, Tennessee , and the rest of our schedule trumps the few holes we have this year. Have seniors like McCord, Diggs, Wax, and Barron can take you a long way against one of the easiest schedules in the country . Any time your best players are experienced 4th and 5th year seniors it covers up some holes.

Yes, you're right that we should hope to make hay with the experienced guys we have for just this year, mostly on the defense.

But on the other hand, the talent in the '24 class and '25 class is the best we've seen in 30 years. Even though we will lose some important guys, we are really stocking up on quality players.

Don’t see a thread anywhere for this kid, but would be a huge pickup.
1BED7A45-BA10-4C22-8E7C-C235542A146B.jpeg

Fran’s built a real buzz at the HS level. We sat near a local HS coach for the spring game and he had some of his players with him. They were raving about Fran and the type of recruits he was getting. They knew all about some of the top kids visiting too. Talent attracts more talent. And it’s not just a local conversation either. It’s impressive.

I’ve never seen the sheer number of recruits visit like we saw last night. And the size of the kids is noticeably different.

We really need everyone to contribute on the NIL front. If folks don’t have money to give, they should be telling others who do to help out, especially those who run / own businesses. It’s a great marketing tool in a region like Syracuse.

My only concern is what Fran mentioned about the walk up to the dome, if he wants that kind of support he has to win some games here, can’t expect 40 thousand for a spring game….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom