Recruiting changes are coming | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting changes are coming

I try to ignore anyone who states that 6 games into a coaching regime, 'the honeymoon is officially over'.
Yeah, I had a buddy that used to write the occasional hoops article for them.

I don't think they're taking things in a good direction.

I try to ignore anyone who states that 6 games into a coaching regime, 'the honeymoon is officially over'.
Wait, wasn't it Bailey that said the honeymoon stuff? I'm confused

Is it being hard to recruit to Syracuse new news?

Wait, wasn't it Bailey that said the honeymoon stuff? I'm confused
Nope.
upload_2016-10-11_18-0-59.png

Syracuse Football: The Honeymoon Period is Officially Over

Got it. I swear Bailey also wrote an article stating the same verbatim

Got it. I swear Bailey also wrote an article stating the same verbatim
He did have a similar article, you're right. I think the one I posted was up earlier. Didn't see Bailey's

not sure where this goes but can someone read the final paragraph in the article and fill me in on what the heck he's talking about with SU and BC being in trouble going forward based on recruiting time tables and unofficial visits etc. I'm naive to this.

Syracuse Football: A 5 question sit down with the enemy
Next time please note that it is an article by Esden so I don't click on it. He ranks right up there with OrangeFizz.

Next time please note that it is an article by Esden so I don't click on it. He ranks right up there with OrangeFizz.
I had no idea. Sorry. The article is in the words of the Virginia tech blogger.

And I wouldn't worry about how we are doing in recruiting. It's only October and the coaches have months to get commitments from the kids they want. Most kids are busy with school and their own football games now.

And I wouldn't worry about how we are doing in recruiting. It's only October and the coaches have months to get commitments from the kids they want. Most kids are busy with school and their own football games now.
Don't we already have 17 verbal commits? How many can we actually take this year?

I know 25 is the limit but what kids are going to be early enrollees as we need some new blood that fit both the offensive and defensive systems.

Don't we already have 17 verbal commits? How many can we actually take this year?

I know 25 is the limit but what kids are going to be early enrollees as we need some new blood that fit both the offensive and defensive systems.

65 returning schollies so 20 spots. But I would bet the house that 5-6 players transfer/don't take the 5th year if they redshirted. So would be nice to get some players to arrive in January ahead of Spring Ball.

not sure where this goes but can someone read the final paragraph in the article and fill me in on what the heck he's talking about with SU and BC being in trouble going forward based on recruiting time tables and unofficial visits etc. I'm naive to this.

Syracuse Football: A 5 question sit down with the enemy
I'll answer your question. The NCAA has been toying with the idea of allowing an early signing period, before prospects' senior season. This could be both beneficial or terrible for SU moving forward. Since recruits can only take official visits in the fall, you would have to convince a prospect to come up to SU on their own dime, which we already struggle to do due to distance, and hope that they loved the school enough to commit/sign. This means a prospect that blows up could already be signed to SU and we could hang on to kids like Harold Brantley that could previously flip to an SEC school before Feb signing day.

However, if the early signing period happens, you could also see the calendar get pushed up, with kids being pressured by the big schools to either sign or lose their offer. We'd also lose our ability to flip kids late from MAC schools or other programs as they're already committed.

This is also bad for the "late bloomer" HS Senior who blows up, and there might not be room in the class for that kid after the fact.

I'd prefer kids to be able to sign whenever they're ready to sign. Have an open signing period from the start of a player's senior year onwards.

I'll answer your question. The NCAA has been toying with the idea of allowing an early signing period, before prospects' senior season. This could be both beneficial or terrible for SU moving forward. Since recruits can only take official visits in the fall, you would have to convince a prospect to come up to SU on their own dime, which we already struggle to do due to distance, and hope that they loved the school enough to commit/sign. This means a prospect that blows up could already be signed to SU and we could hang on to kids like Harold Brantley that could previously flip to an SEC school before Feb signing day.

However, if the early signing period happens, you could also see the calendar get pushed up, with kids being pressured by the big schools to either sign or lose their offer. We'd also lose our ability to flip kids late from MAC schools or other programs as they're already committed.

This is also bad for the "late bloomer" HS Senior who blows up, and there might not be room in the class for that kid after the fact.

I'd prefer kids to be able to sign whenever they're ready to sign. Have an open signing period from the start of a player's senior year onwards.

I don't think that early visits would only be a Syracuse problem but rather an issue for every school in the country as every program basically recruits nationally anymore.
However many schools, for instance Cass Tech this year, take their players around to visit programs during the summer allowing kids to see campuses and meet coaching staffs. Also the change in the camp rule, allowing ACC schools to set up camps out of state, changes the dynamics also.

He did have a similar article, you're right. I think the one I posted was up earlier. Didn't see Bailey's

Even if Bailey's take is faulty, he's a lot smarter and can actually write.

I stopped at "without further adieu" in Esden's piece.

I think this is great for Syracuse. Even if the big boys pressure kids to sign early, the earlier their classes fill up I think is also better for us, with regards to late bloomers.

I think non-P5s would struggle to sign kids early so I don't believe that would be a problem.

From our POV id’ rather not have a kid keeping his seat warm at Syracuse while shopping around.

Last edited:
I think this is great for Syracuse. Even if the big boys pressure kids to sign early, the earlier their classes fill up I think is also better for us, with regards to late bloomers.

I think non-P5s would struggle to sign kids early so I don't believe that would be a problem.

From our POV id’ rather not have a kid keeping his seat warm at Syracuse while shopping around.
I agree. I think of some of the de-commits we've lost when the big boys swoop-in late in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom