Recruiting Mavens - do we need a couple of JUCO's? | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Mavens - do we need a couple of JUCO's?

Crusty

Living Legend
I leave recruiting needs up to the recruiting mavens on the board who know far more than I on recruiting issues. To those in the know, I am wondering if we need to get a couple of JUCO's to fill holes next year. Seems to me a corner and maybe a offensive lineman.

????

Honestly, you'd typically get them if there was a big age gap in a position group that was sub par. But, in seeing our youth play and grow, I doubt they go that way. Maybe one or two here and there, this staff doesn't lean on JUCO as heavily as others though.

I could see them picking up a DL for depth purposes or possibly some Secondary help. Not offensively though imo.

I could see a ready to play safety and DT even if only for depth. An impact type corner I think would be hard to find.

kcsu said:
DT, CB, OT

That's what I'd say too in no particular order.

Honestly, you'd typically get them if there was a big age gap in a position group that was sub par. But, in seeing our youth play and grow, I doubt they go that way. Maybe one or two here and there, this staff doesn't lean on JUCO as heavily as others though.

I could see them picking up a DL for depth purposes or possibly some Secondary help. Not offensively though imo.
How about a JUCO OL offer?

How about a JUCO OL offer?
Only the guys inside the office know the answer to that. If they're not happy with the depth behind the Sr's, and additionally the development of the underclassmen, then it's a possibility. I'd have to imagine they would have to really like whomever they'd take in though.

But we currently have the following on roster:

20 - OL total.

17 - Scholarship Lineman not counting Shanley

We lose 5 OL this season counting Shanley.

If Shanley stays we'll have 16 OL returning and 3 OL Newcomers.

That would tell you that they could possibly have room for 1 more in that position group, but 20 is a pretty hefty number total for that position group. Furthermore 17 Scholarship OL sans Shanley is a very large number. I think 15 is typically industry average.

I just don't see it guys.

I would love to see a JUCO or two on the OL. Guys that are quality and locks to be on the 2 deep. I think we may be able to address safety with the high schoolers we are chasing.

Only the guys inside the office know the answer to that. If they're not happy with the depth behind the Sr's, and additionally the development of the underclassmen, then it's a possibility. I'd have to imagine they would have to really like whomever they'd take in though.

But we currently have the following on roster:

20 - OL total.

17 - Scholarship Lineman not counting Shanley

We lose 5 OL this season counting Shanley.

If Shanley stays we'll have 16 OL returning and 3 OL Newcomers.

That would tell you that they could possibly have room for 1 more in that position group, but 20 is a pretty hefty number total for that position group. Furthermore 17 Scholarship OL sans Shanley is a very large number. I think 15 is typically industry average.

I just don't see it guys.

Yeah but you have some serious dead weight in that stable, without naming names I can think of 2 that aren't graduating that will never be of use to the program. Next to QB, it's probably the most critical position group on the team.

Yeah but you have some serious dead weight in that stable, without naming names I can think of 2 that aren't graduating that will never be of use to the program. Next to QB, it's probably the most critical position group on the team.
That is what I was thinking of...don't want to run the kids outta the program if they are trying and not a discipline issue...but if they find a 2/2 or 3/2 kid take him. We are losing 2 ST'ers (Norton/Dixon) so that frees up those scholies. I hope Murphy and Hofrichter can handle the Kick/Punt duties.

Finwad32 said:
Only the guys inside the office know the answer to that. If they're not happy with the depth behind the Sr's, and additionally the development of the underclassmen, then it's a possibility. I'd have to imagine they would have to really like whomever they'd take in though. But we currently have the following on roster: 20 - OL total. 17 - Scholarship Lineman not counting Shanley We lose 5 OL this season counting Shanley. If Shanley stays we'll have 16 OL returning and 3 OL Newcomers. That would tell you that they could possibly have room for 1 more in that position group, but 20 is a pretty hefty number total for that position group. Furthermore 17 Scholarship OL sans Shanley is a very large number. I think 15 is typically industry average. I just don't see it guys.

I remember DeLeone saying he liked having 16 scholie OL. Don't know if that's normal or not but your post just reminded me of him saying that.

That is what I was thinking of...don't want to run the kids outta the program if they are trying and not a discipline issue...but if they find a 2/2 or 3/2 kid take him. We are losing 2 ST'ers (Norton/Dixon) so that frees up those scholies. I hope Murphy and Hofrichter can handle the Kick/Punt duties.

Basically this is what we have right now after this year (I flip flopped Palmer back to OG and Evan Adams to OT). I think doing it like this makes it even more glaring as to the lack of upper classman contributors on the OT 2 deep next year. McGloster and Burton are both RS JR's so both would graduate after next year as well, so the doubling effect of a couple of top JUCO's would only impact the coming year and it would help to balance out that depth chart. If we do add at least one JUCO OT that I would expect one of the other guys currently listed at OT to shift to OG.

C - Trudo - Graduated
1) C - Emerich - RSR (1 year to play)
2) C - Foster - RSO (3 years to play)
3) C - Deurig - RFR (4 years to play)

OG - Robinson - Graduated
4) OG - Palmer - RSR (1 year to play)
5) OG - Roberts - RSO (3 years to play)
6) OG - Hayes - RJR (2 years to play)
7) OG - Clausman - RFR (4 years to play)
8) OG - Heckel - FR (4 years to play)

OT - Foy - Graduated
OT - Lasker - Graduated
OT - Ward - RSO Medical DQ

9) OT - Conway - SO (3 years to play)
10) OT - Adams - RFR (4 years to play)
11) OT - Byrne - RFR (4 years to play)
12) OT - McGloster - RJR (2 years to play)
13) OT - Burton - RJR (2 years to play)
14) OT - DeGeorge - FR (4 years to play)
15) OT - Brouse - FR (4 years to play)

16) LS - Keller - SO (3 years to play)

Walk-ons
LS - Mitsuuchi - Graduated
OG - Shanley - SR (1 year to play)
OG - Hindy - SR (1 year to play)
OT - Darney - RSO (3 years to play)
LS - Hines - RSO (3 years to play)

Last edited:
Basically this is what we have right now after this year (I flip flopped Palmer back to OG and Evan Adams to OT). I think doing it like this makes it even more glaring as to the lack of upper classman contributors on the OT 2 deep next year. McGloster and Burton are both RS JR's so both would graduate after next year as well, so the doubling effect of a couple of top JUCO's would only impact the coming year and it would help to balance out that depth chart. If we do add at least one JUCO OT that I would expect one of the other guys currently listed at OT to shift to OG.

C - Trudo - Graduated
1) C - Emerich - RSR (1 year to play)
2) C - Foster - RSO (3 years to play)
3) C - Deurig - RFR (4 years to play)

OG - Robinson - Graduated
4) OG - Palmer - RSR (1 year to play)
5) OG - Roberts - RSO (3 years to play)
6) OG - Hayes - RJR (2 years to play)
7) OG - Clausman - RFR (4 years to play)
8) OG - Heckel - FR (4 years to play)

OT - Foy - Graduated
OT - Lasker - Graduated

9) OT - Conway - SO (3 years to play)
10) OT - Adams - RFR (4 years to play)
11) OT - Byrne - RFR (4 years to play)
12) OT - McGloster - RJR (2 years to play)
13) OT - Burton - RJR (2 years to play)
14) OT - Ward - RSO (3 years to play)
15) OT - DeGeorge - FR (4 years to play)
16) OT - Brouse - FR (4 years to play)

17) LS - Keller - SO (3 years to play)

Walk-ons
LS - Mitsuuchi - Graduated
OG - Shanley - SR (1 year to play)
OG - Hindy - SR (1 year to play)
OT - Darney - RSO (3 years to play)
LS - Hines - RSO (3 years to play)
Honestly, what this chart shows me is that we've done a pretty solid job of stacking and staggering the depth chart as well as Red-Shirting FR. If the staff really doesn't like what they're seeing from some of the youth or they find a prospect at the JUCO level that they fall in love with, it's a possibility. But, I've heard nothing that tells me they're alarmed by what they have coming down the pike up front. Actually, what I've heard is to the contrary.

There's only two individuals on this list that I've heard anything negative whatsoever about. And they're both in the most stacked position group.

Honestly, what this chart shows me is that we've done a pretty solid job of stacking and staggering the depth chart as well as Red-Shirting FR. If the staff really doesn't like what they're seeing from some of the youth or they find a prospect at the JUCO level that they fall in love with, it's a possibility. But, I've heard nothing that tells me they're alarmed by what they have coming down the pike up front. Actually, what I've heard is to the contrary.

There's only two individuals on this list that I've heard anything negative whatsoever about. And they're both in the most stacked position group.
My guess is button and ward

Yeah the OT depth chart has a lot of youth but I feel it's quality youth.

I leave recruiting needs up to the recruiting mavens on the board who know far more than I on recruiting issues. To those in the know, I am wondering if we need to get a couple of JUCO's to fill holes next year. Seems to me a corner and maybe a offensive lineman.

????
Yes. Sure. why not.

tep624 said:
Edited the OL list for Ward's DQ.

When did this happen? I was excited to see Denzel play he is huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom