Recruiting Picture for 2013 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Picture for 2013

Van111

Starter
Guys, help me out here, but I am not getting a warm and fuzzy picture that we are improving in this area, especially with it being DM's 4th recruiting year now. They just released ESPN ratings (Such as they are) and I don't see alot of talent looking our way, or options either. I know it is early, and maybe after the Spring Game things will pick up in this area, but I feel we are degressing here, where optimistcally we should be seeing a boost with this class one should think with it being the first class in the ACC for the CUSE.

Any word on who is coming to the Spring Game as far as recruits? Hope their is some secret weapon DM is going to unleash with all this secreatcy...

Guys, help me out here, but I am not getting a warm and fuzzy picture that we are improving in this area, especially with it being DM's 4th recruiting year now. They just released ESPN ratings (Such as they are) and I don't see alot of talent looking our way, or options either. I know it is early, and maybe after the Spring Game things will pick up in this area, but I feel we are degressing here, where optimistcally we should be seeing a boost with this class one should think with it being the first class in the ACC for the CUSE.

Any word on who is coming to the Spring Game as far as recruits? Hope their is some secret weapon DM is going to unleash with all this secreatcy...
Dude it's April chill about your perception of recruiting. People complained last year and SU ended up with a damn good class.

Dude it's April chill about your perception of recruiting. People complained last year and SU ended up with a damn good class.

Yep, also think this year the staff is targeting a little more, as I believe we have fewer slots available. Some of the names that have been thrown out are big time players who will not commit for a while. Others have already pledged to a big boy ala the most recent kid that went to OSU.

HCDM will bring in a solid class this year. Bet.

I have my opinion, yes a solid recruiting class last year, ranked 54th in the country by Scouts. Here are our last 10 years before that:
2011 #51
*2010 #53 (Only winning season since 2001)
2009 #102
2008 #50
2007 #46
2006 #51
2005 #49
2004 #50
2003 #62
2002 #36
*2001 # 31 Lats Time SU was ranked in Final top 25 Poll @ #14
2000 #28
1990-1999 Was routinely in the top 25 of recruiting nationally, never had a losing season, went to 8 bowls in 10 years.
* Bowl Year

So don't talk to me like I don't know football, I have been in the game since I first went to a Penn State Game at Archibald Stadium in 1972 and a die hard CUSE Fan ever since. So "Dude", chill if you don't like a little criticism thrown at DM as far as his recruiting so far, as I am one CUSE fan that doesn't want more status quo. What I have seen so far is enough recruiting to be competitive in play, not competitive as far as being a national contender. Isn't that what DM said 4 years ago, that we were building a program to do just that? I cut him some slack that first recruiting year in 2009, as he really didn't have anytime to close that one recruiting year since he was hired in Dec 08. But 50th ranked recruiting classes don't cut it if you want a contender, bleed orange all you want.

I have my opinion, yes a solid recruiting class last year, ranked 54th in the country by Scouts. Here are our last 10 years before that:
2011 #51
2009 #102
2008 #50
2007 #46
2006 #51
2005 #49
2004 #50
2003 #62
2002 #36
2000 #28
1990-1999 Was routinely in the top 25 of recruiting nationally, never had a losing season, went to 8 bowls in 10 years.
* Bowl Year

So don't talk to me like I don't know football, I have been in the game since I first went to a Penn State Game at Archibald Stadium in 1972 and a die hard CUSE Fan ever since. So "Dude", chill if you don't like a little criticism thrown at DM as far as his recruiting so far, as I am one CUSE fan that doesn't want more status quo. What I have seen so far is enough recruiting to be competitive in play, not competitive as far as being a national contender. Isn't that what DM said 4 years ago, that we were building a program to do just that? I cut him some slack that first recruiting year in 2009, as he really didn't have anytime to close that one recruiting year since he was hired in Dec 08. But 50th ranked recruiting classes don't cut it if you want a contender, bleed orange all you want.
Ouch, the truth hurts.

Ouch, the truth hurts.
Sorry if it hurts, its supposed too if you really care about a program. Just want to make one thing clear, I think the world of DM as a Coach, but this is one area I feel he needs to get much, much better at if he is going to make good on that promise he made to us on the floor of the Carrier Dome. I for one am holding him too this promise.

They are being more selective now. Not as many scholarships available. There are not taking that early commitment from a local two star recruit. Now they are going for the higher rated kids and if they dont get them they will fall back on those two star guys.

They are being more selective now. Not as many scholarships available. There are not taking that early commitment from a local two star recruit. Now they are going for the higher rated kids and if they dont get them they will fall back on those two star guys.
I can see that - class will probably end up with a high % of 3 star kids, some potentially under-rated 2 star kids with a couple of other solid offers and maybe one or two 4 star kids a la Thompson from last year. National rankings probably in the mid-40s.

2011 #51
2009 #102
2008 #50
2007 #46
2006 #51
2005 #49
2004 #50
2003 #62
2002 #36
2000 #28
* Bowl Year

1. Those earlier Scout day rankings (probably pre 2004, 2005) were a joke. Combines barely existed, the Scout/Rivals networks had a quarter of the analysts they have now. The old days of recruiting rankings were a joke, unless you think Perry Patterson was a 4 star recruit, and Tim Lane was a 3 star player. Half of the 2002 class never even stepped foot on campus for crying out loud.

2. I can only recall one year SU cracked the top 25 in recruiting, and it might have been in 1995 or 96 if I recall correctly. We have never been a selector school no matter what run the program is on.

I guess the way we played in the 1990's was also a joke then? You guys can argue your point all you want, and if you so believe we are on the right track in recruiting, you are fully entitled to that opinion. I am also entiltled to mine, am I not? I do agree that talent isn't evreything, look at FSU or Miami. But having some highly touted recruits on your team is a nice problem to have, ist it not?

1. Those earlier Scout day rankings (probably pre 2004, 2005) were a joke. Combines barely existed, the Scout/Rivals networks had a quarter of the analysts they have now. The old days of recruiting rankings were a joke, unless you think Perry Patterson was a 4 star recruit, and Tim Lane was a 3 star player. Half of the 2002 class never even stepped foot on campus for crying out loud.

2. I can only recall one year SU cracked the top 25 in recruiting, and it might have been in 1995 or 96 if I recall correctly. We have never been a selector school no matter what run the program is on.
Depends on what information you have. I routinely remember seing Syracuse as a perinial preseason top 25 team in the 90's, albeit recruiting data was flawed, they were always listed highly in what recruiting information was available at the time. It showed on the field and we had some marquee players come out of that era.

Depends on what information you have. I routinely remember seing Syracuse as a perinial preseason top 25 team in the 90's, albeit recruiting data was flawed, they were always listed highly in what recruiting information was available at the time. It showed on the field and we had some marquee players come out of that era.
We finished ranked in the top 25... 7 out of 10 years in the 1990's.

I like the fact that they may be doing this, if so, that is the first step, but it can backfire on you somewhat as well. I had made a point in an earlier thread on recruiting of the importance of haveing that big 4 star or better kid in the bank as it gets others to look at you where maybe they wouldn't have.

I guess the way we played in the 1990's was also a joke then? You guys can argue your point all you want, and if you so believe we are on the right track in recruiting, you are fully entitled to that opinion. I am also entiltled to mine, am I not? I do agree that talent isn't evreything, look at FSU or Miami. But having some highly touted recruits on your team is a nice problem to have, ist it not?

I think the problem people have with these kinds of posts is that it's just mindless complaining. Don't you think the staff wants to recruit more highly regarded players? How easy do you think it is to just start pulling in 4 and 5 star players when we've been in the crapper for the better part of these recruits lives? It takes time to build (rebuild?) the connections and improve the image of the program.

Right now there are a large number of things going against SU football; bad recent history, poor facilities, ambivalent fan base. It takes time to correct these things and I believe things are heading in a positive direction, just maybe not fast enough for some. :noidea:

I appologize to all Orange Fans as I got a bit passionate, but again, the opening of this thread is about whether or not we are IMPROVING our RECRUITING PROGRAM, not about the one that has been here over the last 10 plus years. This is an important piece of the puzzle. Also, no one has mentioned any news on possible recruits that may come calling this Saturday? Maybe there is no news?

I appologize to all Orange Fans as I got a bit passionate, but again, the opening of this thread is about whether or not we are IMPROVING our RECRUITING PROGRAM, not about the one that has been here over the last 10 plus years. This is an important piece of the puzzle. Also, no one has mentioned any news on possible recruits that may come calling this Saturday? Maybe there is no news?

Yes

2011 #51
2009 #102
2008 #50
2007 #46
2006 #51
2005 #49
2004 #50
2003 #62
2002 #36
2000 #28
* Bowl Year

If you judge a recruiting class based on an internet recruiting site then you don't know football.

Yes but SU was still a consistant top 20 program with some major star players despite the foolish recruiting rankings.

You will know how the recruiting has gone based on the how the players perform on the field. Not on what 30 second Bob says over at At their request, this network is being blocked from this site..

Guys, help me out here, ...

Sounds to me like you put it out there, and then just didn't agree with what people said.

I know when HCDM spoke last year at one of the luncheons, he was very excited about the direction for recruiting for this year. He liked the group that was going to be signed Feb 12, but he LOVED the prospects for '13.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Van111 on this. Of course, I was at that game in 1972 as well. While it's too early to panic about this year's class, I don't know how you cannot at least have questions at this point.

As Van111 stated, it's hard to see progress so far. Look, I know that it's getting tougher and tougher to compete against the $EC and a couple of the other uber-conferences, but to say that we're being 'more selective', whatever that means, seems to go against the facts. We're basically competing against MAC schools now for those most interested in us, according to our database, and, while that may be our future, it's hardly progress. I mean, are we selectively competing against MAC schools for the bluest of the blue-chippers? Of course not, which is why I don't buy the 'selectivity' argument.

And, while I know that recruiting rankings are far from the be-all and end-all when it comes to on-the-field performance, would you say that the Marrone recruits have outperformed their respective class rankings? If they have, it's not by much.

And I'm not sure that the blame should fall on Marrone. The landscape of college football has changed to the point where I've begun to question whether SU football will ever be relevant nationally again. I, for one, can't answer that question with a firm 'Of course we will.' As usual, hope that I'm proven wrong.

I think if we see 4-5 players every year make it to an NFL team somehow, and we're finishing 7-5 or better, the program will be moving in the right direction.

I am a little concerned but nothing to complain about. I think we are getting better athletes in the program now and starting to build depth. Now it is DM's job to translate that to wins on the field. Once the wins on the field start then the better 4 star - 5 star type players will start coming to the Cuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom