Recruiting Picture for 2013 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Picture for 2013

Definitley a difference of opinions out there...but good conversation at least. Regardless, I am holding DM accountable for the return of our program, anything less is not acceptable. After all, we ran GR out of town after 4 seasons, not saying DM is anything like GR, no sir, but still the expectation is not for a 7-10 year process either. This year, with that schedule, is going to be very tuff to produce a winning record, and next year it is the first year in the ACC, with PSU, @ NWU and a full slate of ACC games, I believe 8 in all. So worst case we have losing seasons in both which could possibly be the case. That would mean 4 out 5 years DM coaches could be losing seasons. That is why I am passionate about recruiting now. Do whatever it takes, and that includes hiring the best recruitors available if necessary. We don't want to be the Duke program out of our division after all.

Ok so where are we lacking? Just saying it does not make it so. Give examples. Several of our peers have ZERO indoor facilities. Some have a bubble. Some only have plans or are currently building a facility. Currently we have Manley. That is not ideal but it is better than nothing. Are kids really going elsewhere because our field is 80 yards vs SOME other schools having 100?

Our biggest issue IMO is the locker rooms and lounges. Those IMO can be fixed pretty quickly. Focusing on the indoor facility and allowing those to stay as is, IMO is not a smart idea. You can fix those NOW and at the same time fund raise for an new facility. If you do that, then we will be in line with most of our peers and people will have to stop making excuses for Marrone's failures as a recruiter.

Our facilities are dogshit compared to our peers. WVU, RU, UCONN, Pitt, MD, and just about every school in the ACC have far superior lounges, locker rooms, and film rooms. Heck, even our remodeled weight room is mediocre.

The Manley retro fit is a nice start, but the renovations will go a long way. It shows kids and coaches a like that we are serious about becoming a contender again. The football facilities at Ithaca College are nicer than SU, and that's not an exaggeration. The training room at my alma mater Hamilton was much better than what Syracuse has.

I don't think IB is stating that we need to be Oregon East with the facilities. However, building a competitive infrastructure will go a long way in attracting better talent.

I'm not sure a staff of Saban, Petrino, Wanny, and Ogeron could produce a top 20 class with the current facilities and state of the program.

Our facilities are dogshit

Nicely said! I would have said to signify the size of being larger. Bottom line is our facilities do have a "WOW" Factor. Its Wow these facilties suck.

This last class had more kids with competing BCS offers than any in the class 10 or so.

I wonder how much of this is due to a general increase in schools extending offers to more and more players, due to many different reasons (internet impact on recruiting, larger staffs, identifiny more prospects and earlier in process, ect).

Awesome fishing metaphor. I keep a few Zebcos around for my nieces and nephews to use to pull large-mouth out of my pond.

Thanks! I think it was a lot of peoples first reel and go to reel for kids...after the barbie one of course for the ladies.

Our facilities are dogshit compared to our peers. WVU, RU, UCONN, Pitt, MD, and just about every school in the ACC have far superior lounges, locker rooms, and film rooms. Heck, even our remodeled weight room is mediocre.

The Manley retro fit is a nice start, but the renovations will go a long way. It shows kids and coaches a like that we are serious about becoming a contender again. The football facilities at Ithaca College are nicer than SU, and that's not an exaggeration. The training room at my alma mater Hamilton was much better than what Syracuse has.

I don't think IB is stating that we need to be Oregon East with the facilities. However, building a competitive infrastructure will go a long way in attracting better talent.

I'm not sure a staff of Saban, Petrino, Wanny, and Ogeron could produce a top 20 class with the current facilities and state of the program.

CIL are you saying that even after the lockeroom renovations we will still be incredibly far behind our peers?

I'm hoping SU can get some talented big lineman and a couple of qb's at the very least. If they can get 1 to 2 playmakers that can break a tackle and out run a defense, I'll be thrilled. Marrone seems to be getting some serious speed for the DB's in the past 2 years, any news on guys that can play RB or WR for 2013?

You will know how the recruiting has gone based on the how the players perform on the field. Not on what 30 second Bob says over at *********.
Would love to see SU make some huge strides this year, as it appears that the big boys are not only getting more aggressive and gready, but our separating themseleves dramatically from the rest of the field. I still say you can get some big name recruits at SU, sell them on being the star rather than sitting on the bench watching one! According to my sources, Kamara is our biggest and most possible big name recruit intested in the CUSE. That is exactly what the Doctor ordered, bring him in to lead this class TW!

Would love to see SU make some huge strides this year, as it appears that the big boys are not only getting more aggressive and gready, but our separating themseleves dramatically from the rest of the field. I still say you can get some big name recruits at SU, sell them on being the star rather than sitting on the bench watching one! According to my sources, Kamara is our biggest and most possible big name recruit intested in the CUSE. That is exactly what the Doctor ordered, bring him in to lead this class TW!
No, Ogundeko is the most realistic recruit that we could land. He'll be a 4-5 star when this is all said and done, offers from Fl, OSU, Bama, etc. He likes us a lot and the NY College Team thing is a major positive for him.

I have my opinion, yes a solid recruiting class last year, ranked 54th in the country by Scouts. Here are our last 10 years before that:
2011 #51
*2010 #53 (Only winning season since 2001)
2009 #102
2008 #50
2007 #46
2006 #51
2005 #49
2004 #50
2003 #62
2002 #36
*2001 # 31 Lats Time SU was ranked in Final top 25 Poll @ #14
2000 #28
1990-1999 Was routinely in the top 25 of recruiting nationally, never had a losing season, went to 8 bowls in 10 years.
* Bowl Year

So don't talk to me like I don't know football, I have been in the game since I first went to a Penn State Game at Archibald Stadium in 1972 and a die hard CUSE Fan ever since. So "Dude", chill if you don't like a little criticism thrown at DM as far as his recruiting so far, as I am one CUSE fan that doesn't want more status quo. What I have seen so far is enough recruiting to be competitive in play, not competitive as far as being a national contender. Isn't that what DM said 4 years ago, that we were building a program to do just that? I cut him some slack that first recruiting year in 2009, as he really didn't have anytime to close that one recruiting year since he was hired in Dec 08. But 50th ranked recruiting classes don't cut it if you want a contender, bleed orange all you want.
I agree with you. I think our recruiting has been very questionable. In fact, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Where I disagree with you is, in 1972 we never played Penn State in Archibald Stadium. As I recall, we played them in ARCHBOLD Stadium.

I really like this last class. Actually think that it is our best in the last 8 years. As to facilities once the locker room renovation is complete we are going to be in good shape. 5m for meeting rooms, lounge, locker rooms and offices is plenty and they are going to be sharp. We have the Dome and Manley as in door practice facilities and i think we are good to go. Add in the ACC some national TV this year and if we can go 500 or better 13 should be a great class

look,manley is a well built facilty,probably much better quality than some of the newer buildings other schools are putting up.

to many people think we need a brand new building,which costs a lot of $$$ to stay on equal footing. i think if we take that money and a little more to go with that we can have a very excellent training facilty that recruits could say is better than a rutgirls.

my current house is at least a 150 years old and is still solid from the foundation up, which is field stone, and the basement is dry as a 80 year old hooker,i would love to see a 250,000$ particle board built house last a 150 years

look,manley is a well built facilty,probably much better quality than some of the newer buildings other schools are putting up.

to many people think we need a brand new building,which costs a lot of $$$ to stay on equal footing. i think if we take that money and a little more to go with that we can have a very excellent training facilty that recruits could say is better than a rutgirls.

my current house is at least a 150 years old and is still solid from the foundation up, which is field stone, and the basement is dry as a 80 year old hooker,i would love to see a 250,000$ particle board built house last a 150 years

Let's see how many 18-year-olds would rather stay in the 150-year-old house instead of the new one.

Yes

I think you misinterpreted my post -- pre-update our facilities were a joke, and most likely in the bottom 10% of all D1 programs, not just BCS schools. The update will be nice, and while it certainly won't be Oregon or Alabama-esque, it won't be an obvious sore point for other coaches to actively recruit against.

Let's see how many 18-year-olds would rather stay in the 150-year-old house instead of the new one.

you... my man have not seen the quality of the craftmanship of some 150 to 200 year old houses,not all are built the same

I agree with you. I think our recruiting has been very questionable. In fact, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Where I disagree with you is, in 1972 we never played Penn State in Archibald Stadium. As I recall, we played them in ARCHBOLD Stadium.
Ever since I was a kid I called it that, and it kinda stuck with me. I was 11 at the time, so old ways don't die I guess. As for recruiting, I have to make the stand that if we don't pick up this end, we simply are not going to turn the corner to becoming a legitimate threat anywhere. We have finished at our near the bottom of the big east for the much of the last 10 years, and the game has changed. As of April 30th, 2012, 82 division 1A schools have recruits and to date 385 kids have signed on to the 2013 Class. This was unheard off even just 5 years ago. The ESPN top 150 has 79 recruits already committed to schools. That is close to 53% before May even rolls around. We have offers to 3 with Kamara being what I think is our best shot at a marquee player. I got blasted a little earlier saying we should go after this kid, but I will tell you, the trend is there for early recruitment, rather than late. I know it is early, and things will start to pick up, but I don't see where we are making the necessary changes we need to in recruiting at this stage of DM's carreer. Was nice seeing Chandler Jones Drafted in the 1st round, we need more of this!

Ever since I was a kid I called it that, and it kinda stuck with me. I was 11 at the time, so old ways don't die I guess. As for recruiting, I have to make the stand that if we don't pick up this end, we simply are not going to turn the corner to becoming a legitimate threat anywhere. We have finished at our near the bottom of the big east for the much of the last 10 years, and the game has changed. As of April 30th, 2012, 82 division 1A schools have recruits and to date 385 kids have signed on to the 2013 Class. This was unheard off even just 5 years ago. The ESPN top 150 has 79 recruits already committed to schools. That is close to 53% before May even rolls around. We have offers to 3 with Kamara being what I think is our best shot at a marquee player. I got blasted a little earlier saying we should go after this kid, but I will tell you, the trend is there for early recruitment, rather than late. I know it is early, and things will start to pick up, but I don't see where we are making the necessary changes we need to in recruiting at this stage of DM's carreer. Was nice seeing Chandler Jones Drafted in the 1st round, we need more of this!

Ogundeko's our best shot and it's not even close.

I'm disturbed you know how dry an 80 year old hooker is. :eek:

you... my man have not seen the quality of the craftmanship of some 150 to 200 year old houses,not all are built the same

And we all know how much 18 year old kids love old solid structures. I agree that substance is nice and SU has a lot of that going for it regarding its buildings but a lot of players, football and basketball, want new and flashy.

Dude it's April chill about your perception of recruiting. People complained last year and SU ended up with a damn good class.
I think "chill is a bit too strong. I can understand a bit of anxiety on the subject . We have a ton literally of quality offers out there. Just one kid saying yes would be ver encouraging and satisfying.
Waiting until the end of the year is unreasonable for those of us who understand the significance it makes to the program's success and ultimately our enjoyment of such. This goes for all SU sports. Of course.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom