Recruiting Responsibilities | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Responsibilities

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
With the lack of commitments and now the apparent flip flopping by Quade there have been a lot of stones cast at GMac for a 2017 recruiting class that has yet to get off the ground. Could someone who truly knows, and isn't just guessing, provide some info on how the SU staff handles recuriting responsibilities. Some question I have:

How are recruiting responsibilities divided up on the SU staff; regions, states, particular programs (AAU/HS)?

If a particular guy is assigned to a kid is he responsible for all contact; in person, telephone/text; on-campus etc.

Do Hop, Autry and GMAC all recruit off campus?

Are we still operating under restriction as a result of the NCAA penalty?

Does JB still recruit off campus?

Why does everyone seem to believe that GMAC is the lead recruiter in waiting over a guy like Autry who I have always had the impression had the stronger AAU connections?

If different guys are responsible for different targets, does anyone know what those assignments are/were?

Green:
Diallo:
Preston:
Walker:
Brissett:
Tucker:
Sidibe:
Richards:
Bamba:

Moyer:
Thompson:
Lydon:
Richardson:

McCullough:
Joseph:

Ennis:
Roberson:

I thought this would be a more productive discussion than continuing to wring our hands over what is going to happen between now and 9pm tomorrow night.

With the lack of commitments and now the apparent flip flopping by Quade there have been a lot of stones cast at GMac for a 2017 recruiting class that has yet to get off the ground. Could someone who truly knows, and isn't just guessing, provide some info on how the SU staff handles recuriting responsibilities. Some question I have:

How are recruiting responsibilities divided up on the SU staff; regions, states, particular programs (AAU/HS)? I'm not 100% sure but I think it depends on connections to AAU and regional connections.

If a particular guy is assigned to a kid is he responsible for all contact; in person, telephone/text; on-campus etc. No, but he is the lead guy.

Do Hop, Autry and GMAC all recruit off campus? Yes.

Are we still operating under restriction as a result of the NCAA penalty? I think so till the end of this cycle.

Does JB still recruit off campus? Yes, but I don't think he is the lead on anyone. He comes to see the kids that the other guys have prioritized.

Why does everyone seem to believe that GMAC is the lead recruiter in waiting over a guy like Autry who I have always had the impression had the stronger AAU connections? No idea?

If different guys are responsible for different targets, does anyone know what those assignments are/were? I think its best if someone like Francis goes down this list, I know some but not where near all.

Green:
Diallo:
Preston:
Walker:
Brissett:
Tucker:
Sidibe:
Richards:
Bamba:

Moyer:
Thompson:
Lydon:
Richardson:

McCullough:
Joseph:

Ennis:
Roberson:

I thought this would be a more productive discussion than continuing to wring our hands over what is going to happen between now and 9pm tomorrow night.

See answers above in orange.

I am not throwing in the towel on Green, Tucker, Diallo so this could still be a very successful cycle. That said I think your post makes for good conversation and remember in the end the Head Coach is usually the guy closing no matter what school you are at.

Not impressed with G-Mac's contributions to this program as a coach. We need a bigger name out there on the road for us. He's just not getting the job done, and it's royally screwing us right now.

Specifics?
Lack of specifics is exactly the problem. He's brought us Ron Patterson. His responsibilities need to be reassigned. Unless it's a top 250 kid from Scranton, we're recruiting with our hands tied behind our back when he's the lead recruiter.

WHAT IS ROYALLY SCREWING US IS.........2 COACHES TAKING OFF THE ALL IMPORTANT SUMMER RECRUITING CIRCUIT!!!! I've said it 10x in various posts. Duke can afford to do it. WE CAN'T!

Let's hope Quse is just playing a huge trick on the media and all of us ....so his actual announcement has some suspense.

Not impressed with G-Mac's contributions to this program as a coach. We need a bigger name out there on the road for us. He's just not getting the job done, and it's royally screwing us right now.
you don't have to have a name to be a recruiter ... the best recruiters were rarely guys with recognizable names as players

Why does everyone seem to believe that GMAC is the lead recruiter in waiting over a guy like Autry who I have always had the impression had the stronger AAU connections?
that had been my impression, too. I'm wondering if GMac's responsibilities have been expanded because Autry is a strong candidate to be plucked for a head coaching job elsewhere in the near future?

Well Carmelo isn't retiring anytime soon so who could they get that has a bigger name?

you don't have to have a name to be a recruiter ... the best recruiters were rarely guys with recognizable names as players

that had been my impression, too. I'm wondering if GMac's responsibilities have been expanded because Autry is a strong candidate to be plucked for a head coaching job elsewhere in the near future?
I don't know that the basketball world is going all in to get AA.

There is a reason that you aren't impressed. He hasn't done anything. Walker. Green. We have made this mistake before. We had trouble recruiting when we had Orr and Fine on the road. Weaver and Murphy thought Syracuse was a lead school and could land anyone. We seem defensive now. Now, things have changed. Duke and Kentucky are at a level that no one else is. I think we should be in that league with what we have.

There is a reason that you aren't impressed. He hasn't done anything. Walker. Green. We have made this mistake before. We had trouble recruiting when we had Orr and Fine on the road. Weaver and Murphy thought Syracuse was a lead school and could land anyone. We seem defensive now. Now, things have changed. Duke and Kentucky are at a level that no one else is. I think we should be in that league with what we have.

??

Elaborate on this please.

Big names are the coaches. Heck, guys like Weaver did a great job for us. Who ever heard of him ?? A big part of recruiting is relationship building with the HS coaches, I certainly do not know Gerry's personality in terms of being able to build those relationships, but he proved on the court that he is a winner & winners eventually find a way & win. It takes time to relationship build.

We have seven freaking scholies. The problem is a top down issue. The plan should have been to go after the under the radar Lydon's of the world & get 3 or 4 commitments early from guys who might need a year or two to help & at least lay the foundation for a solid class. You then can go after the highly ranked kids with the other 3 or 4 scholies. If anybody believed we were going to fill up a 7 man class with all Top 50 kids then please pass on whatever you were smoking cause I would really enjoyed a wiff of that stuff.

On what? With the right ass't coaches, we have shown the ability to recruit at the highest level. With the wrong ass'ts we have shown that we don't. I'm not picking on G-mac but so far, he has accomplished almost nothing on the recruiting road. We need more.
Well, yeah, you kinda are. And that's fine. He's fair game. But "He hasn't done anything. Walker. Green. We have made this mistake before. We had trouble recruiting when we had Orr and Fine on the road." sure sounds to me like you're picking on him. Semantics, maybe. :noidea:

Well, yeah, you kinda are. And that's fine. He's fair game. But "He hasn't done anything. Walker. Green. We have made this mistake before. We had trouble recruiting when we had Orr and Fine on the road." sure sounds to me like you're picking on him. Semantics, maybe. :noidea:
I didn't mean it that way. What I am saying is that he hasn't done it yet. I hope he becomes a recruiting dynamo. But it is something we need to watch. If he can't do it, we have to make changes.

I didn't mean it that way. What I am saying is that he hasn't done it yet. I hope he becomes a recruiting dynamo. But it is something we need to watch. If he can't do it, we have to make changes.
OK - just took it the wrong way. :)

If he misses on Green we might want to reevaluate his role. Country boy from Scranton might not relate well to urban kids.

If he misses on Green we might want to reevaluate his role. Country boy from Scranton might not relate well to urban kids.

Seriously? He got us to first and goal with the kid. And you're gonna pull some kind of race card or something? I guess I just don't see it. If Gerry is horrible, yes we should not have him out there recruiting, but we all knew the strategy this year was high risk, high reward. Going after almost all 5 star kids. You can do everything right and still not get those kids.

Agreed, plus you are up against the dirtiest crooks (PayPalCal and WWW) in college b-ball to

I feel very strong that one of our biggest problems recruiting at SU is that they have all ex players as assistants end recruiting. They don't really have much experience or none at all until they got here.. They should have pick up one or so "experienced" recruiters with numerous ties and not afraid to go west of the Mississippi. just my opinion.

I feel very strong that one of our biggest problems recruiting at SU is that they have all ex players as assistants end recruiting. They don't really have much experience or none at all until they got here.. They should have pick up one or so "experienced" recruiters with numerous ties and not afraid to go west of the Mississippi. just my opinion.

Those are JB issues not the assistants.

Not pointing fingers, but tired of crying dirty vs duke and coach Cal at UK.

We gotta nut up or shut up on the recruiting trail. As far as I'm concerned, theres numerous blue chips who were/are ours for the taking. Tucker and Green being two of them.

We gotta nut up or shut up on the recruiting trail. As far as I'm concerned, theres numerous blue chips who were/are ours for the taking. Tucker and Green being two of them.
We should be pointing the finger at JB. He should have been out recruiting and holding down the recruits we had favored our way, instead of trying to win his third gold medal at the Olympics

It's that easy, huh? The expectations are beyond preposterous.

It's that easy, huh? The expectations are beyond preposterous.

We're a top 10 program with arguably the #1 venue in college basketball. At some point expectations are not arrogance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom