Recruiting Updates | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Francis, couple questions for ya, again (hope im not being to annoying). Regarding the potential Battle and Thorton package rumors, is this something the staff would be interested in taking on? Have we even offered Thorton?
And it might have been discussed before but how is D. Jones' work ethic? His elite athleticism is apparent but his skill set looks raw and he needs to mature physically to be a force in the ACC let alone the NBA. Do you know, or have you heard anything on him? Does he hit the weight room with any consistency/purpose? It seems that the staff here has a more hands off approach to the players physical development and that the players usually take on more of the responsibility to develop in the gym. So I always like the weight room warriors who like seeing the results of their labor. Much thanks in advance brother!
I always enjoy answering questions, so it's no biggie my friend. As far as Thornton/Battle package deal. I doubt that's something SU will get involved in. They haven't shown any interest in Thornton at all so far, and I doubt that they want Battle that bad to just throw an offer at his friend. These kids always talk package deal stuff, but most times it rarely happens.

I can't really comment on Jones work ethic, because that's a behind the scenes kind of thing where the coaches and people close to him would know best. From looking at his frame since last year to now. I don't think he'll ever become physically strong, but he could develop a wiry frame like Wes and Grant. Right now he's more like Will Barton.
That's a vid on one of his workout sessions. Maybe that can give you an idea on his work ethic.

Any talk from Murray's camp if he wants to play 1 or 2? With Battle talking about the Thorton package deal and not mentioning Cuse as much, I'm wondering if a Murray and Washington backcourt might be better. This assuming Washington is strictly a pg, but maybe he is a combo I've never watched him. I Ty in advance for dropping the knowledge.
Found out earlier that Murray and Washington could possibly play together later this summer on the Canadian U17 team. Washington has dual citizenship.

yeah the more I read about Battle the less I like Cuses chances plus anytime a dad or coach likes being recruited more than the player I think its best to move onto another player.

I always enjoy answering questions, so it's no biggie my friend. As far as Thornton/Battle package deal. I doubt that's something SU will get involved in. They haven't shown any interest in Thornton at all so far, and I doubt that they want Battle that bad to just throw an offer at his friend. These kids always talk package deal stuff, but most times it rarely happens.

I can't really comment on Jones work ethic, because that's a behind the scenes kind of thing where the coaches and people close to him would know best. From looking at his frame since last year to now. I don't think he'll ever become physically strong, but he could develop a wiry frame like Wes and Grant. Right now he's more like Will Barton.
That's a vid on one of his workout sessions. Maybe that can give you an idea on his work ethic.

Thanks again Francis!

http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2014/07/716-news-and-notes.html
The 2nd live period kicks off later today. You can check for the preview and day one updates above. The majority of the staff should be at the Peach Jam, while GMac will probably be tracking D. Jones out in ATL.

JB will probably be doing this....
jim-boeheim-passed-out-594x445.jpg

The 2nd live period kicks off later today. You can check for the preview and day one updates above. The majority of the staff should be at the Peach Jam, while GMac will probably be tracking D. Jones out in ATL.

JB will probably be doing this...
View attachment 18001
Thanks man. I noticed you have stream links on your blog. I wish I could watch but might miss most due to work. Someone please hook it up complete with recap?

just jumping around and looking at some stats it appears mr.jones struggles from the ft line .
sounds like he's a perfect SU fit.

Hot dang. As I am yapping about improving the watching experience, I miss the last second as the announcer says "Giles almost takes the rim with him!" as he flushed one (what sounded like) something fierce right before the buzzer.

Don't worry, I am sure we get a replay of that one or rewind right before half end.
Edit: and there it is.

GMac as expected is currently watching Derrick Jones at the UA Finals in Atlanta.

JB will probably be doing this...
View attachment 18001

JB can continue to do that as long as he pulls in great recruiting classes. On a similar but side note, when Mike Sherman was coach of the Green Bay Packers a few years ago, he was caught sleeping in the stands at the NFL Combine. That draft they traded up in the third round to take B.J. Sander, a punter from Ohio State. He never amounted to anything and was cut.

mikeshermansleeping.jpg

Hot dang. As I am yapping about improving the watching experience, I miss the last second as the announcer says "Giles almost takes the rim with him!" as he flushed one (what sounded like) something fierce right before the buzzer.

Don't worry, I am sure we get a replay of that one or rewind right before half end.
Edit: and there it is.

Sweet ! thanks!

lol, he just drove and hit a floater like a point guard. So very pretty. Just checked out, but he helped them from down 6 at the half to absolutely annihilating the opposition by 14 with plenty left in the third.

lol, he just drove and hit a floater like a point guard. So very pretty. Just checked out, but he helped them from down 6 at the half to absolutely annihilating the opposition by 14 with plenty left in the third.
Saw that, phenomenal!