Recruiting Updates | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

imo, Kaleb could have more college potential then mcw, ennis, and Flynn all ratings aside. The lift, confidence, and fluidity of jumpshot is looking like a pure SG at this point, and we know he liked to run the floor and the offense with a marathon motor, while using his midrange game ALOT in highschool.

I just hope he can find atleast one isolation guy to take the pressure off him. He would have fit well into last years team, and come midseason we could be considering better then Ennis did. To bad Ennis didn't come back would have LOVED to see them both in the backcourt together.

imo Kaleb looks underated at this point.

imo, Kaleb could have more college potential then mcw, ennis, and Flynn all ratings aside. The lift, confidence, and fluidity of jumpshot is looking like a pure SG at this point, and we know he liked to run the floor and the offense with a marathon motor, while using his midrange game ALOT in highschool.

I just hope he can find atleast one isolation guy to take the pressure off him. He would have fit well into last years team, and come midseason we could be considering better then Ennis did. To bad Ennis didn't come back would have LOVED to see them both in the backcourt together.

imo Kaleb looks underated at this point.

I agree with this point completely. I think after everyone saw Ennis do what he did as a FR PG, a lot of people don't think Kaleb can match him (which he may not be able to). Our team is built for a PG like Joseph so I am expecting big things.

I think what people are seeing is potential to be a more complete overall pg in college than either MCW or Ennis.

Obviously this won't be from day one but if he is here for two seasons its very valid IMO. He likely already possesses a better midrange and long range shot than either MCW or Ennis did in college. He's more athletic than Ennis and possibly quicker than MCW.

We'll have to see how it plays out but I'm very excited to see what Kaleb can do in orange and he certainly has all the tools to be a complete pg at some point. I will say I won't be shocked if he is a lottery pick in one of the next two drafts.

I think what people are seeing is potential to be a more complete overall pg in college than either MCW or Ennis.

Obviously this won't be from day one but if he is here for two seasons its very valid IMO. He likely already possesses a better midrange and long range shot than either MCW or Ennis did in college. He's more athletic than Ennis and possibly quicker than MCW.

We'll have to see how it plays out but I'm very excited to see what Kaleb can do in orange and he certainly has all the tools to be a complete pg at some point. I will say I won't be shocked if he is a lottery pick in one of the next two drafts.
That's another jordoo prediction. You've got one more to go, and I fully trust in this one as well. Kid's special. Has everything he needs to get to the next level. Let's just hope the scouts don't notice for a few years. :)

Spot on.
Size and blowby speed he reminds me of flynn and mcw with better jumpshooting potential at this point imo. MCW lacked the outside jumpshot some, and flynn lacked the midrange pullup, Kaleb could have both of those.

He could use some time getting used to the physical nature of the game in the lane the next few months, but the speed and athleticism is there. Its always hard to tell to they are playing in the dome.

Last edited:
Murray vs battle? What is going on? How long do we playkate?

If not Keita who else are we looking at as far as bugs for 16?

How great is Moyer going to be in 2 years? Special? I think so and not in a short buss kind of way like I'm special.

Murray vs battle? What is going on? How long do we playkate?

If not Keita who else are we looking at as far as bugs for 16?

How great is Moyer going to be in 2 years? Special? I think so and not in a short buss kind of way like I'm special.
Imo Murray won't be offered until Hop feels there is no shot at Battle. Murray is Red's guy and obviously Hop holds more weight here.

Outside of Keita you can look out for options such as Justin Jackson, a 6'8 forward from Toronto that attends Findlay Prep. Harry Giles, an overall top 5 PF. Giles might be a longshot but if we can get him on campus for a visit then anything is possible.

I haven't seen Moyer yet in a full game so I'll refrain from making any full judgments until I do so about his future projections.

Until we feel there is no chance with battle . . . . . I really do not like that. It would be different if we felt we still had a very good shot . . . . . AND he wasn't like I'm gonzo if you offer another guard. . . . . Bells and whistles plus warning signs IMO.

Forgot about Giles in my drunken stupor. What do you think our odds are with him? 40+ %?

Until we feel there is no chance with battle . . . . . I really do not like that. It would be different if we felt we still had a very good shot . . . . . AND he wasn't like I'm gonzo if you offer another guard. . . . . Bells and whistles plus warning signs IMO.

Forgot about Giles in my drunken stupor. What do you think our odds are with him? 40+ %?
No clue about Giles. I would say 20% but everything depends on if he visits or not.

Imo Murray won't be offered until Hop feels there is no shot at Battle. Murray is Red's guy and obviously Hop holds more weight here.

Outside of Keita you can look out for options such as Justin Jackson, a 6'8 forward from Toronto that attends Findlay Prep. Harry Giles, an overall top 5 PF. Giles might be a longshot but if we can get him on campus for a visit then anything is possible.

I haven't seen Moyer yet in a full game so I'll refrain from making any full judgments until I do so about his future projections.
Francis, if true, this would be quite sad that the staff is not working together - could result in our getting neither.

I am in the show Murray the love camp & take first come first served.

I see the following advantages to Murray:

1. he might be more obtainable.

2 he is almost as good as battle now & you never know how that will play out on campus.

3 He is less likely to be a one & done - 2 yrs of Murray > one year of Battle.

Francis, if true, this would be quite sad that the staff is not working together - could result in our getting neither.

2 he is almost as good as battle now & you never know how that will play out on campus.

I didn't get that the staff isn't working together out of Francis tidbit, but that they have prioritized Battle, put a lot of time and effort in there and are not ready to call it off. I'm sure Hop and JB know exactly what Red knows if he is the point man on Murray. What I don't like is that supposedly Battle is a no go as soon as we offer another guard in 2016 and I'm not a fan of this kid handcuffing the staff which as you point out could lead to us getting neither kid. The spot is Battle's if he wants it, that has always been the case the staff has made it obvious to him that he is their first choice. If he's not sure or wants to go elsewhere I get it and there is nothing wrong with that but I don't like that we are expected to not pursue other options while he does.

I agree completely with 1,2,3 reasons on Murray and I'd add reason 4 which might be the most important. Murray to me is more of a natural PG than Battle is although both are certainly scorers.

As Jordoo pointed out, it's not the case of the staff not working together. You can look at it being something similar to last year when Joseph and Whitehead were the main targets. Joseph was Hop's guy and Whitehead was Red's. Hop had put in more time with Joseph and he was the higher priority. The Battle camp wants to be recruited to play PG, which SU has promised. An offer and commit from Murray will end things between Battle and SU asap. I do agree that they should just offer Murray and have it be first come first serve, but obviously they know something that we don't.

As Jordoo pointed out, it's not the case of the staff not working together. You can look at it being something similar to last year when Joseph and Whitehead were the main targets. Joseph was Hop's guy and Whitehead was Red's. Hop had put in more time with Joseph and he was the higher priority. The Battle camp wants to be recruited to play PG, which SU has promised. An offer and commit from Murray will end things between Battle and SU asap. I do agree that they should just offer Murray and have it be first come first serve, but obviously they know something that we don't.
it does seem odd though with all you read coming from the Battle house hold but as you said the staff obviously knows something we do not.

the way they are doing it is the correct way as our recruiting has been spot on of late!

It is hard to argue this point. Recruiting has been great and I have faith in the staff it just irks me when you hear stuff like a recruit saying if you offer another guard you are off their list. I will have to hold out hope that Francis is right they know something.

It is hard to argue this point. Recruiting has been great and I have faith in the staff it just irks me when you hear stuff like a recruit saying if you offer another guard you are off their list. I will have to hold out hope that Francis is right they know something.
to be honest Jordoo Battles dad turned me off on him coming to SU. Seems like the dad likes the attention more than the son. I personally like Murray better for SU than Battle either way we will end up with a quality recruit.

it does seem odd though with all you read coming from the Battle house hold but as you said the staff obviously knows something we do not.
I remember last year around this time, Malachi had hardly ever talked about SU and everybody felt Indiana was the heavy favorite. As we saw how things turned out, Hop kept things on the low and always had us in good shape with him. Could be the same here with Battle, but who knows:noidea:.

I remember last year around this time, Malachi had hardly ever talked about SU and everybody felt Indiana was the heavy favorite. As we saw how things turned out, Hop kept things on the low and always had us in good shape with him. Could be the same here with Battle, but who knows:noidea:.
this is exactly why I am not worried about Cuse basketball after JB retires Hop is the man!