Recruiting: What we're up against | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: What we're up against

anomander

Living Legend
Not sure if anybody has been paying attention, but the ACC is absolutely killing it recruiting so far this cycle. The ACC currently has 4 teams in the top 10, and 6 in the top 25. This is what we're up against, and how imperative it is to capitalize on Washington's commit, and continue to bring in top ranked talent. I think we have to be a bit more selective then we were last year. I'm not sure if the staff underestimated their ability to recruit, or what have you, but I think we accepted too many, too early. It seems like we are taking a more patient approach this year, something I am all for. I just want everyone to see just how much talent the ACC is bringing in, and pretty much has been bringing in. imo the conference is about to take off, or at least make a surge. We have to do our best to bring in the same level of talent to compete. Everyone can be satisfied with last years haul, but it really needs to be better if we really want to compete. Anyways here is the updated ACC rankings from 2 4 7 composite. The blue number after the school name is the curent amount of commits, which obviously helps their current ranking.
1 Florida State 14 3 7 4 92.93 248.82
2 Miami 20 0 9 11 88.60 235.79

Duke 11 0 2 9 87.44 162.65
Clemson 8 1 3 4 91.00 154.28
Louisville 10 0 0 9 83.56 119.45
Virginia Tech 9 0 0 9 84.89 119.02
7 Virginia 7 0 0 7 84.47 94.54
8 Wake Forest 7 0 0 7 83.46 87.89
9 N.C. State 6 0 0 6 84.30 81.46

Boston College 5 0 0 4 83.47 65.32
North Carolina 4 0 0 4 86.56 65.02
12 Syracuse 3 0 1 2 86.67 49.58
13 Pittsburgh 3 0 0 3 84.26 42.39
14 Georgia Tech 3 0 0 2 82.48 37.17

SU has more 4 stars committed currently than 9 of the schools in the ACC :cool:

I can't believe Miami already has 20 commits - that's crazy and has to end up helping SU that they're almost full up already

We need a serious talent infusion and then we need coaches that prepare and deploy that talent correctly. Miami has been killing on the recruiting trail under Golden, but they haven't won the Coastal one time.

If SS wants to prove he can recruit we need a top 35 class nationally.

Last year's recruiting was really bizarre. It was cool watching all the early commits, and then it feels like a third of them didn't even make it.

Looking at the 24-7 '16 team list...our average recruit ranking is much higher than last year...we would be in the Top 25 (just barely)...so if they continue to pull in recruits like the first 3 we'll have our best haul since the 90's

Not sure if anybody has been paying attention, but the ACC is absolutely killing it recruiting so far this cycle. The ACC currently has 4 teams in the top 10, and 6 in the top 25. This is what we're up against, and how imperative it is to capitalize on Washington's commit, and continue to bring in top ranked talent. I think we have to be a bit more selective then we were last year. I'm not sure if the staff underestimated their ability to recruit, or what have you, but I think we accepted too many, too early. It seems like we are taking a more patient approach this year, something I am all for. I just want everyone to see just how much talent the ACC is bringing in, and pretty much has been bringing in. imo the conference is about to take off, or at least make a surge. We have to do our best to bring in the same level of talent to compete. Everyone can be satisfied with last years haul, but it really needs to be better if we really want to compete. Anyways here is the updated ACC rankings from 2 4 7 composite. The blue number after the school name is the curent amount of commits, which obviously helps their current ranking.
1 Florida State 14 3 7 4 92.93 248.82
2 Miami 20 0 9 11 88.60 235.79

Duke 11 0 2 9 87.44 162.65
Clemson 8 1 3 4 91.00 154.28
Louisville 10 0 0 9 83.56 119.45
Virginia Tech 9 0 0 9 84.89 119.02
7 Virginia 7 0 0 7 84.47 94.54
8 Wake Forest 7 0 0 7 83.46 87.89
9 N.C. State 6 0 0 6 84.30 81.46

Boston College 5 0 0 4 83.47 65.32
North Carolina 4 0 0 4 86.56 65.02
12 Syracuse 3 0 1 2 86.67 49.58
13 Pittsburgh 3 0 0 3 84.26 42.39
14 Georgia Tech 3 0 0 2 82.48 37.17

Big positive surprises: Duke and Wake.

Big negative surprises: BC and GT.

The Eagles got off to a great start last year with their 'Be a Dude' campaign. Not working as well this year. Don't know what is going on with G Tech...

Last year's recruiting was really bizarre. It was cool watching all the early commits, and then it feels like a third of them didn't even make it.
That seems like the inevitable outcome of that strategy of early signings. Perhaps this year we avoid that by being more selective and deliberate.

OrangeAl said:
That seems like the inevitable outcome of that strategy of early signings. Perhaps this year we avoid that by being more selective and deliberate.

I think it was more of a let's get good character guys early and build relationships with the better talent in the next class.

We did a great job late closing on some gems and flipping Pickard.

I think things are going to be really exciting on the recruiting board over the next 6 months.

OrangeAl said:

I think a lot of last years early commits was McDonald having kids commit when they weren't ready to commit. I know for a fact that not all the coaches on the staff agreed with him letting kids commit without visiting first. HCSS messed up by giving McDonald far too much freedom. I also know he pretty much lied about some of the kids academic standing. He made it to believe they were doing a lot better academically then they really were (see Spence). Clearly by doing this was just to fluff his profile as "ace recruiter".

anomander said:
I think a lot of last years early commits was McDonald having kids commit when they weren't ready to commit. I know for a fact that not all the coaches on the staff agreed with him letting kids commit without visiting first. HCSS messed up by giving McDonald far too much freedom. I also know he pretty much lied about some of the kids academic standing. He made it to believe they were doing a lot better academically then they really were (see Spence). Clearly by doing this was just to fluff his profile as "ace recruiter".

Interesting. More fodder for the "why we moved on from McDonald" record.

We need a serious talent infusion and then we need coaches that prepare and deploy that talent correctly. Miami has been killing on the recruiting trail under Golden, but they haven't won the Coastal one time.

If SS wants to prove he can recruit we need a top 35 class nationally.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

I've heard the same things about him lying about academic standings, FWIW.

Big positive surprises: Duke and Wake.

Big negative surprises: BC and GT.

The Eagles got off to a great start last year with their 'Be a Dude' campaign. Not working as well this year. Don't know what is going on with G Tech...

That "be a dude" thing is the second dumbest team slogan I've ever heard after that "forget about me i love you" nonsense. What the f does "be a dude" even mean?

That "be a dude" thing is the second dumbest team slogan I've ever heard after that "forget about me i love you" nonsense. What the f does "be a dude" even mean?

This is the dumbest, ever.

dm_120703_ncf_signs_rutgers.jpg

I've heard the same things about him lying about academic standings, FWIW.

Oh yes, this is a fact. Only 1 reason for this...EGO.

I said before on here, but McDonald froze in the booth his last game as OC. We were in the red zone, and he just called a reverse that failed. Lester had to hope in and called another reverse, but that was when the freeze happened.

I have some other McF***it stuff, but it gets a little personal. One thing is certain he was an egomaniac.

Big negative surprises: BC and GT. Don't know what is going on with G Tech...
Elite players don't want to be stuck playing a quirky system... and other coaches are no doubt using this to negative recruit, saying it doesn't prepare them for the pros.

Groundhog day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom