Refs in the final seconds | Syracusefan.com

Refs in the final seconds

Should referees call the final plays of a game the same way they called the rest of the game?

• Yes - obey the rules

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • No- let the players decide the game

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

SWC75

Bored Historian
An issue has come up on talk radio about the holding call in the Kansas City- Pittsburgh NFL game, (I'm posting this to both the football and basketball boards because it's relevant to both sports). The argument some have made is "You could call holding on every play. The refs should 'let 'em play' at the end of games so the players can decide the game, not them."

Firstly, that was an obvious holding call. The lineman got beat and grabbed his guy around the throat and rode him to the ground. It's not something that happens on every play and if he hadn't held the guy, the defender would have arrived just as the pass was being thrown and probably would have prevented the two point conversion. Beyond that, I've always maintained that the refs should call the end of games the same way they called the rest of the game. If they don't they are allowing the teams to break the rules to win. You can decide a game by not blowing the whistle just as easily as by blowing the whistle. If there had been no call here, the Steelers would have been just as mad as the Chiefs and with more justification.

If you've already voted on the football board, don't vote here. I'll add them together tomorrow for a combined result.

I said yes, but I'd like to qualify my statement. The transgression that gets the whistle or flag should be egregious, like it was with the holding call you cited. An iffy charge call should not be a decider, and no to any pass interference call on a hail mary where there is a ton of pushing and shoving from both defense and offense.

I said yes, but I'd like to qualify my statement. The transgression that gets the whistle or flag should be egregious, like it was with the holding call you cited. An iffy charge call should not be a decider, and no to any pass interference call on a hail mary where there is a ton of pushing and shoving from both defense and offense.
We're looking at you, Tony Greene.

sometimes i wonder what is a hold and what isnt.. if a oline dude has his arm out and a dline guy tries to fight thru it he gets called for a hold. i look at those plays as, if i am getting past the oline and he then reaches out its a hold if i am controlling him and he tries to get under me its not..

i didnt think it was really a hold that i would have called on the backside of the play that had no effect on the play.

Dude was falling down anyway and caught the arm up under his head.....no call! Let it go!

Everyone who voted yes must have been fine with the call at the end of the UConn game this year.
Refs should use discretion at the end. Ticky tack stuff should have the whistles swallowed but that is a lot to ask for from college basketball refs.

sometimes i wonder what is a hold and what isnt.. if a oline dude has his arm out and a dline guy tries to fight thru it he gets called for a hold. i look at those plays as, if i am getting past the oline and he then reaches out its a hold if i am controlling him and he tries to get under me its not..

i didnt think it was really a hold that i would have called on the backside of the play that had no effect on the play.

If it was part of a scrum, it probably doesn't get called, but it was out in the open for everyone to see. A 50/50 call that Harrison gets because he was flying around most of the game wreaking havoc, so when he is pulled to the ground it must have been holding.

I feel bad for the OT who now has to live with everyone saying he lost the game. That game was really lost by Alex Smith, who is either incapable or scared of throwing deep. He missed so many wide open receivers.

It should be consistent no matter what it is. That is the issue with the NFL to me on interference and holding. Both can be called pretty much all the time which makes it sketchy when something in a particular game hasn't drawn a flag but does in a big situation.

If it was part of a scrum, it probably doesn't get called, but it was out in the open for everyone to see. A 50/50 call that Harrison gets because he was flying around most of the game wreaking havoc, so when he is pulled to the ground it must have been holding.

I feel bad for the OT who now has to live with everyone saying he lost the game. That game was really lost by Alex Smith, who is either incapable or scared of throwing deep. He missed so many wide open receivers.
He also hit a bunch of receivers right in the hands and they failed to catch the ball. Plenty of blame to go around.

He also hit a bunch of receivers right in the hands and they failed to catch the ball. Plenty of blame to go around.

Wasted a monumental performance by the KC defense too. To keep Le'Veon and AB out of the end zone was remarkable. The Steelers are so screwed in Foxboro.

Maybe they should call the whole game that way?

I don't like the phrasing of the question. If a player commits a foul, he is deciding the game. Not the ref that calls that foul a foul. As for the KC call, it should never have been called. The guy was falling down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom