Report from the Carmelo K. Anthony Center | Syracusefan.com

Report from the Carmelo K. Anthony Center

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Dear fellow SU bball fiends, late last night I received an invitation from my friend Gary, who is participating in an SU Legends basketball camp for charity, to come and see one of the games coached by the Legends. At age 65, Gary is the oldest "camper" by at least 5 years, but he runs marathons and plays basketball regularly, so he hoped he could keep up. Of course, I agreed to come, and this morning I entered the Melo Center for the first time.

This facility is beautiful! For those who have never seen it, please bear with a small description. There is a huge hallway where banners hang featuring Carmelo (natch) and on each side of the hall there are pictures galore, trophies, three games playing continuously (SU vs. Wis, SU vs. Kansas 2003, and SU vs. UConn 6 OT). A perky female staffer took me upstairs where I was able to see the conference room where the team and coaches plan for the games, and Boeheim's office, where I walked right in! Next to Boeheim's office is Hop's medium-sized office, and next to his is Gerry McNamara's little-sized office. Just like Goldilocks!

The gym has two full sized basketball courts side by side. There is a huge picture of the Dome's record-breaking 34,414 crowd hanging on one of the walls, and there are 2 very impressive weight rooms. There were 40 geezers, I mean, men participating in the camp and I believe there were 15 of the best players SU has ever had coaching them! Here's who I saw: Derrick Coleman (who could not be kept away), Billy Owens, Lawrence "Poetry in" Moten, Gerry McNamara (be still, my heart!), Mike Hopkins, John Wallace, Sherman Douglas, Stevie Thompson, Todd Burgan, Lazarus Sims, Dante Green, "Pearl" Washington, and Hakim Warrick, whom I talked to. He was eating breakfast and politely responded to my question about how to get somewhere. I told him I would never forget "The Block," and that I thought SU should put up a statue of it on campus. He laughed, "Ha!" and choked a bit on his bagel.

I stood or sat very quietly and watched the game the campers played, coached by the Legends. I rooted for Gary's team. (They won.) I drank it in, friends. Drank. It. In. DaJuan Coleman also stopped by and he looked very tall and not that pudgy. The Legends were all in good spirits and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. I didn't bring a camera and was much too shy to ask anyone for a photo, although I think they would have generously obliged. I am going to ask Gary to write up his experiences and hopefully I can share them with this forum.

Wow--cool experience--thanks for sharing!

Awesome! Basically describing the SU version of Field of Dreams here (except they are alive...)

You know what I like best here? The fact that Donte Greene is there. Maybe people will finally realize he bleeds orange and get off his back for being a kid who made the same decision many of us would make in the same situation. Love that he's there, shows he's truly a part of the Syracuse family for life.

Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You know what I like best here? The fact that Donte Greene is there. Maybe people will finally realize he bleeds orange and get off his back for being a kid who made the same decision many of us would make in the same situation. Love that he's there, shows he's truly a part of the Syracuse family for life.
I was about to post the same thing ... before I read your post

Thanks, your post made my day. I would sure love the opportunity to to see Sherman Douglas again (and talk to him) -- still probably my favorite player ever.

Did they play zone?

i guess it depends on whose fantasy we are talking about here..

I got a kick out of a lot of Donte's antics, and shook my head at others. But if it was a "Legends" camp, he had no business being there (unless he was a camper). I continue to wish him well. He's making a nice little living for himself in the NBA.

Hey, guys! Thanks for all the "likes!" Summer is indeed a dry time for all of us basketball lovers. I can tell there's a lot of thirst out there. I left Gary a message on his phone that the fan board is very interested in the happenings, and I was hoping he would write up some of his experiences for us. The next best thing is that he tells me, and I write them up (with his permission). He called while I was at the movies, and when I called him back 20 minutes ago, he whispered, "I'll call you back in a bit. Me and the guys are sitting around talking to Stevie Thompson." Bugger.

The last event of the day tomorrow will be a shooting contest led by Donte Green.

Hey, guys! Thanks for all the "likes!" Summer is indeed a dry time for all of us basketball lovers. I can tell there's a lot of thirst out there. I left Gary a message on his phone that the fan board is very interested in the happenings, and I was hoping he would write up some of his experiences for us. The next best thing is that he tells me, and I write them up (with his permission). He called while I was at the movies, and when I called him back 20 minutes ago, he whispered, "I'll call you back in a bit. Me and the guys are sitting around talking to Stevie Thompson." Bugger.

The last event of the day tomorrow will be a shooting contest led by Donte Green.
It's great the program does this. I know the price is not cheap, and hopefully some of it goes to some of the charities that JAB supports. Your friend is very lucky to attend.

Gary is rich by no means, but he bleeds Orange. His wife told him 10 times to do it, he said no 9. I hope he does a write-up.

Gary is rich by no means, but he bleeds Orange. His wife told him 10 times to do it, he said no 9. I hope he does a write-up.
Me, too! But we shouldn't hold our breaths.

So, you know the Gary of whom I write? Awesome.

Me, too! But we shouldn't hold our breaths.

So, you know the Gary of whom I write? Awesome.
Very well, I got him a ticket for SU-Oklahoma in 2003. He lives about 20 minutes from but got here in 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom