Report: Thomas Bryant Schedules Official Visit to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Report: Thomas Bryant Schedules Official Visit to Syracuse

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Thomas-Bryant-flushing-during-2013-sectionals.jpg

Linkage

Thomas Bryant, the big man from nearby Rochester who has long been the target of Syracuse University's basketball recruiting efforts, has set up an official visit to the campus, said Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
The news is interesting on many levels. Syracuse, at this point in the recruiting game, has no scholarships to offer to the Class of 2015. Four players in that class have already pledged their Orange allegiance by verbal commitments (Frank Howard, Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson, Moustapha Diagne). SU coaches, though, continue to recruit elite players in that class, in the event a current player declares for the NBA Draft or possibly transfers.

Thomas-Bryant-flushing-during-2013-sectionals.jpg

Linkage

Thomas Bryant, the big man from nearby Rochester who has long been the target of Syracuse University's basketball recruiting efforts, has set up an official visit to the campus, said Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
The news is interesting on many levels. Syracuse, at this point in the recruiting game, has no scholarships to offer to the Class of 2015. Four players in that class have already pledged their Orange allegiance by verbal commitments (Frank Howard, Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson, Moustapha Diagne). SU coaches, though, continue to recruit elite players in that class, in the event a current player declares for the NBA Draft or possibly transfers.

If we get Bryant we would have the number one recruiting class in 2015 locked down.

SU coaches, though, continue to recruit elite players in that class, in the event a current player declares for the NBA Draft or possibly transfers.

What if we offered a top player like Bryant and nobody transfers, jumps to the NBA or eliminates himself with academic or disciplinary problems? Does the coaching staff pull back a scholarship for somebody or try to "run them off?

I still think they wouldn't make an offer if they didn't have specific information that led them to believe that somebody wasn't likely to be here in 2015.

SU coaches, though, continue to recruit elite players in that class, in the event a current player declares for the NBA Draft or possibly transfers.

What if we offered a top player like Bryant and nobody transfers, jumps to the NBA or eliminates himself with academic or disciplinary problems? Does the coaching staff pull back a scholarship for somebody or try to "run them off?

I still think they wouldn't make an offer if they didn't have specific information that led them to believe that somebody wasn't likely to be here in 2015.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Even then, it would be hard to imagine that the staff does not have a really, really good handle on who will or won't be here for the 2015-16 season. If the sign anyone else, take it to the bank that they "know" they will have room.

All that I read leads me to believe that, barring some unforeseen circumstance, CM plans to be a one and done guy.

All that I read leads me to believe that, barring some unforeseen circumstance, CM plans to be a one and done guy.

If he can put up 12 and 6 and the team does well enough next year to get enough of the spotlight to create some hype around him (like Ennis and Grant this past year), I'd expect him to be gone.

If he can put up 12 and 6 and the team does well enough next year to get enough of the spotlight to create some hype around him (like Ennis and Grant this past year), I'd expect him to be gone.

In today's one-and-done environment I tend to agree with you an CM leaving after one year.

I am not so sure for TR. He did okay last season. I think he needs just more playing time to build up his confidence. I think he has very good potential. But we may get a third year out of TR.

He needs to hit the training table and the weights.

GoSU96 said:
He needs to hit the training table and the weights.

He needs to work on his half court offensive game. He's like Grant in many ways.

If we get Bryant we would have the number one recruiting class in 2015 locked down.
Dave, welcome back brother. You've got your mojo back! No sarcasm or offense intended, just glad you're looking forward with some positive energy.

To those more "in the know" does us getting Bryant scheduled for an official mean we have officially declared ourselves as prioritizing Bryant over Jones?

I would love to get the #1 class but you know as well as I do, as always, Kentucky will probably get it in the end. Currently they have
Polson
Lee
Harrison Twins
Hood
Cauley
Poythress
Johnson

All of these guys are either seniors or will declare for the NBA. That is 8 spots . There 2014 class is Lyles, Towns, Booker and Ulis. Lyles and Towns will probably declare. So that will leave at least 6 spots to fill. They currently have one commit and have offered 9 of the top 15 in ESPN rankings. You know as well as I do the WWW will come through with bags of Ca$h to get many of these top guys to go to Kentucky. I would take our class any day; especially if we add Bryant and Jones. It is still a great class without these guys though.

I would love to get the #1 class but you know as well as I do, as always, Kentucky will probably get it in the end. Currently they have
Polson
Lee
Harrison Twins
Hood
Cauley
Poythress
Johnson

All of these guys are either seniors or will declare for the NBA. That is 8 spots . There 2014 class is Lyles, Towns, Booker and Ulis. Lyles and Towns will probably declare. So that will leave at least 6 spots to fill. They currently have one commit and have offered 9 of the top 15 in ESPN rankings. You know as well as I do the WWW will come through with bags of Ca$h to get many of these top guys to go to Kentucky. I would take our class any day; especially if we add Bryant and Jones. It is still a great class without these guys though.

You make a good point. But with so many players added or leaving that is not exactly a recipe for success in the past. U-CONN won a NC with junior and senior PGs. So a player might not have as much incentive to go to UK because it will be very unlikely they will win NC with so many changes in the players. But maybe that does not matter in their minds.

Dave, welcome back brother. You've got your mojo back! No sarcasm or offense intended, just glad you're looking forward with some positive energy.

My father past away last February. It's still not completely back.

I'm very sorry for your loss. At the same time, I am proud of you for pushing forward. You will get it completely back and I hope it comes soon.

It's been a lousy few months on the health front. I hope we can get back to thinking sports is important, which requires that everything else be in good shape.

You make a good point. But with so many players added or leaving that is not exactly a recipe for success in the past. U-CONN won a NC with junior and senior PGs. So a player might not have as much incentive to go to UK because it will be very unlikely they will win NC with so many changes in the players. But maybe that does not matter in their minds.

You make a very good point, but somehow Calipari still continues to pull the top stars in every year even without a championship.

Either are an elite get, so I am sure happy and pressing for both of these guys, among a few others.

Oh I agree, I just have to believe the staff has a preference and isn't simply ing saying, whoever wants in first gets the slot.

Oh I agree, I just have to believe the staff has a preference and isn't simply ing saying, whoever wants in first gets the slot.
See, that's the trick isn't it? Agree with you. Tough to say it's a first come first served, as their games are night and day. Let me come back at you, though. Who would you prefer?

TB is a beast, I just would like to see more play above the rim to complete his game, more contesting of shots. We and most need that from a big. On the flip side, since D. Jones is more in the wing mold, I hope to see his range improve and to be honest, his shot seems more fluid this season.

I am torn. But to me, just on need alone as Lydon/Malachi fit the bill as possible wings, seems like we'd have more "need' for Bryant. Tough call either way, because D. Jones is a freak of nature athlete.

See, that's the trick isn't it? Agree with you. Tough to say it's a first come first served, as their games are night and day. Let me come back at you, though. Who would you prefer?

TB is a beast, I just would like to see more play above the rim to complete his game, more contesting of shots. We and most need that from a big. On the flip side, since D. Jones is more in the wing mold, I hope to see his range improve and to be honest, his shot seems more fluid this season.

I am torn. But to me, just on need alone as Lydon/Malachi fit the bill as possible wings, seems like we'd have more "need' for Bryant. Tough call either way, because D. Jones is a freak of nature athlete.

To me, both guys are luxuries as our needs are covered (as you pointed out) so my preference is for the better player, or rather the guy who will be most likely to put us over the top.

As of this moment, I think that is Bryant purely because we will have so many guys capable of playing the wing in 15. That said if Jones shows some serious development of his shot (which as you pointed out, he seems to be showing) he could develop into that guy who comes in off the bench as a freshman who provides a huge spark and for lack of a better example, plays the Dion role for us. Which is why I am rooting for Jones to be the guy we snag in the end.

To those more "in the know" does us getting Bryant scheduled for an official mean we have officially declared ourselves as prioritizing Bryant over Jones?
GMac has been to all of D. Jones games so far this month during the live period. Jones says he plans to visit SU again later this year. So I don't think there is any prioritizing one player over the other. I think it's a matter of whoever commits first. Imo I think Bryant is a much easier get than Jones at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom