Rhode Island Week | Syracusefan.com

Rhode Island Week

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Scott Shafer says on his @cuse interview that the mock game in the Carrier Dome Sunday went well. No practice today with class starting.

Shafer said everything was practiced Sunday from warm-up to halftime to headset use to manager responsibilities.

Shafer happy to get through preseason camp with no serious injuries.

Shafer on QB Terrel Hunt: "You've got to be a good manager first and a playmaker second." Says his efficiency has been up during camp.

Shafer reiterates that rFr. S Rodney Williams "would have played a bunch last year" if he didn't get hurt.

Shafer on coaching DBs at URI 93-95: "We had just taken over a job that wasn't very good and we won a division championship our third year."

Shafer said SU will have to be ready for anything playing an FCS team, including trick plays.

Scott Shafer says on his @cuse interview that the mock game in the Carrier Dome Sunday went well. No practice today with class starting.

Shafer said everything was practiced Sunday from warm-up to halftime to headset use to manager responsibilities.

Shafer happy to get through preseason camp with no serious injuries.

Shafer on QB Terrel Hunt: "You've got to be a good manager first and a playmaker second." Says his efficiency has been up during camp.

Shafer reiterates that rFr. S Rodney Williams "would have played a bunch last year" if he didn't get hurt.

Shafer on coaching DBs at URI 93-95: "We had just taken over a job that wasn't very good and we won a division championship our third year."

Shafer said SU will have to be ready for anything playing an FCS team, including trick plays.

Like that he mentioned the trick play aspect, really hope we are prepared for it though. Not sure if was Rhody or Maine but a few years ago we fell for every trick play in the book it was ridiculous.

Like that he mentioned the trick play aspect, really hope we are prepared for it though. Not sure if was Rhody or Maine but a few years ago we fell for every trick play in the book it was ridiculous.
I think it was Maine, Jer .. you and I were in the stands rolling our eyes at each other. They tricked us on every series ... and they weren't slow either. Pretty good team speed if I remember correctly.

It was Maine and former Cuse OT Frank Guifre was the OC if I remember correctly, they were playing to win for sure

I know it is just coach speak but I find this funny. IMO in college football offense is all about playmakers. Getting them the ball and letting them do their thing. Managing the game brings up thoughts of trying to win 20-17 games. I think (and hope) what they are trying to say is that they want Hunt to do his thing within the confines of the O. Not try to do too much every play but if the opportunity presents itself to take it.

Hopefully it isn't us having to bring out the trick plays in OT vs an FCS team. :eek:

I think it was Maine, Jer .. you and I were in the stands rolling our eyes at each other. They tricked us on every series ... and they weren't slow either. Pretty good team speed if I remember correctly.

LOL I remember, I think they ran three fake punts and every single one of them worked it was absolutely insane. I remember me and you just throwing up our hands at one point in total disgust. Speaking of games, are you and the better half coming Friday? The wife has so much wine for yours to taste I feel like I own a winery.

LOL I remember, I think they ran three fake punts and every single one of them worked it was absolutely insane. I remember me and you just throwing up our hands at one point in total disgust. Speaking of games, are you and the better half coming Friday? The wife has so much wine for yours to taste I feel like I own a winery.
We're coming in Friday. And as far as the wine ... bring it on. I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the eats.

We're coming in Friday. And as far as the wine ... bring it on. I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the eats.

Fantastic news, hope you guys get there nice and early so we can tie one on. I have the tailgate thread pinned at the top of the boad, if you could just throw a quick post up there confrming the two of you. Thanks!

CNry1A7UAAAqcuF.jpg

Fantastic news, hope you guys get there nice and early so we can tie one on. I have the tailgate thread pinned at the top of the boad, if you could just throw a quick post up there confrming the two of you. Thanks!

Any chance of a preliminary menu? Bringing in some PSU (ugh!) converts from Scranton area. Young boys gotta eat!

Today at Noon Coach Shafer has a teleconference... we will post it on here.

Practice at 4:20 is closed. There will be interviews with coordinators and players following practice at 6:20

Any chance of a preliminary menu? Bringing in some PSU (ugh!) converts from Scranton area. Young boys gotta eat!

Updated menu has been posted on the main thread that is tacked at the top of the board. If you could check it out and post the number in your party it would be appreciated!

Shafer says his biggest preseason camp adjustments are reps, practice time, breaks between practices, etc.

Shafer says he feels "really good" about freshman QB Eric Dungey. RB Jordan Fredericks and hybrid Dontae Strickland are ready to contribute.

Shafer says freshman Kielan Whitner is the team's fourth safety. Impressive considering where he was graded as a recruit.

Shafer on Hunt: "Locked in and ready to go." Says he's in best shape he's ever been in after changing diet.

Shafer isn't surprised that rJr. DE Luke Arciniega was voted a team captain. Smart guy and a leader with good organizational skills.

Shafer said he sees both walk-on Seamus Shanley and rFr. Aaron Roberts playing at right guard. Called Shanley the surprise of camp. Helps having Trudo and Palmer next to that position.

Shafer on Philips/Ishmael: Ish has great body control and good speed. Erv will do a lot of things in run game and pass game.

Shafer said his first few days at Rhode Island in 1993 were spent cleaning light fixtures, unloading new lockers and installing white boards

Shafer said the RI staff rotated watering the practice fields during the morning

Shafer on working with Narduzzi/Mike Mallory: "The best thing about that staff is we were on the same page as far as how to coach football."

Shafer said all spare money was spent on traveling to go listen to coaches at other schools.

Shafer on Franklin's captaincy: Goes back to his sturdiness in high school. Franklin had more votes than any other captain.

Shafer: captain voting works as such: Srs/coaches get 4 points, Jrs (3), Sos (2) and Frs (1). So. LB Zaire Franklin got the most votes.

This kid has started 3 games and received the most votes as a captain. If that isn't a vote of confidence for Zaire Franklin, idk what is.

Shafer: "Ron Thompson, he's ready to go. We'll want to use him in different situations."

Shafer said the team's overall health is solid. Thompson has been working his way back from an apparent left-foot injury.

Shafer: The Dome can and will be a positive selling point. "We'll see it get better and better over the years."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom