Rich get Richer...Ingram to Duke | Syracusefan.com

Rich get Richer...Ingram to Duke

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Coach K is really making a run at PayPal Cal with his recruiting the past couple years. Securing Ingram to replace Winslow & convincing Thornton to move up to '15 to replace Jones is a heck of a week.

It's working and why not. He's a ridiculously good coach, motivator, and team shrink. Via Sirius, especially as of late, I have heard interviews with Coach K and players on how it is really is a family atmosphere down there on these recent teams with unselfish players. For a senior Quinn Cook to embrace Jones and pretty much defer to him is a nice trait and probably galvanized the team from the get go. Why not play for Duke or UK for one year.

Coach K is such a good coach if I was a one and done and had to choose between K and Calipari how can't you pick K.

Duke is easily a top 5 team now. People here in Charlotte are blaming the NCAA investigation into UNC as to why they didn't get a commitment. UNC is losing recruiting battles because of this investigation. I think UNC is going to lose as many schollys as we got hit with when all is said and done.

How do we make JB's role with USA Basketball work more for us in getting a couple of top 10 recruits? Now I empathize with the other ACC teams...it's depressing to see Duke just reeling in top 10 kids one after the other. Tough to compete with that.

Madbiker said:
How do we make JB's role with USA Basketball work more for us in getting a couple of top 10 recruits? Now I empathize with the other ACC teams...it's depressing to see Duke just reeling in top 10 kids one after the other. Tough to compete with that.

We get good players and they leave after a year - sometimes 16 games - and we get little results.

Seriously. I don't know. Good question. Exclusively zone? Boeheim not really a 'teacher' per se and more of a pro/NBA type coach. I don't know.

We get good players and they leave after a year - sometimes 16 games - and we get little results.
We get good players. The last 3 recruiting cycles, Duke has been getting great players.

Coach K is really making a run at PayPal Cal with his recruiting the past couple years. Securing Ingram to replace Winslow & convincing Thornton to move up to '15 to replace Jones is a heck of a week.
That can't be possible ... I thought his only chance as a blue chip recruit to jump up on the draft board would be at Kentucky? ;)

There has obviously been a change in recruiting strategies at Duke.

He had quite a few one and dones though no? Kyrie, Austin Rivers, Maggette, Parker, now these guys. Jay Williams could've been one and done and wasn't Shaun Livingston going to commit to Duke before bolting from H.S?

He had quite a few one and dones though no? Kyrie, Austin Rivers, Maggette, Parker, now these guys. Jay Williams could've been one and done and wasn't Shaun Livingston going to commit to Duke before bolting from H.S?
Some, but the last few seasons he's been going all in. It used to be none, then 1 per year, now it's 2-3. Duke was a program built on talented 4-year guys. Now K has kinda eschewed that strategy for NBA talent. He's going to out-Calipari Calipari.

Deng too

They got pissed after no championships for a while and made grades a non-issue for admission ;)

Funny, if this is Kentucky everyone is up in arms because it's Cal. Media and Fans included. When coach k recruits OAD's, he's a model citizen. Seems hypocritical to me.

Yeah, kind of what I was getting at. I thinks it's taboo to think that sounds here though because JB and K are bffs, and he came to our defense when the NCAA slammed us.

Coach K has adjusted his recruiting philosophy over the years.

Through the early 2000s, he recruited as much talent as possible. This meant he sometimes had to swim with the sharks and make deals with crack peddling AAU coaches (Corey Maggette) or set up an arrangement to allow a player's parent to work for a local booster (Chris Duhon).

However, losing Shaun Livingston to the NBA draft before he ever played a minute in Cameron drove Coach K over the edge, so he started recruiting more reliable four-year players. There were a few exceptions like Kyrie Irving and Josh McRoberts, but for the most part, he tried getting guys who would stay for three or four years.

During this era, he won a lot of games and eventually a national title in 2010, but he also suffered a number of blowout tournament losses once Duke reached the regional rounds to teams like Louisville, Villanova and Arizona in addition to a few huge, embarrassing early-round failures (Lehigh, VCU, West Virginia).

So Coach K changed into his bathing suit and started swimming with the sharks again. Of course this was not successful in 2014 because he suffered yet another huge, embarrassing failure against Mercer, but it worked out nicely for him in 2015.

But he's JB's buddy so it's all good!

JB and our fan base would take pretty much any one-and-done if they wanted to come here. SU recruits pretty much the same players except for most of the CHI kids or deep south/TX/Plains kids. I have never once criticized Coach K or Cal for using the system to their advantage. They are very good coaches as well. We just have a very jealous fan base and will rip anybody who does it better than SU.

But he's JB's buddy so it's all good!
I don't know if it's all good ... JAB might be following the same trail if he's limited to 10 scholarship players for his last three years. He may say F-it and just start picking up top-20 prospects, hiring new assistants, cashing in favors with local car dealerships again, having World Wide Wes hang out at practices, etc.

I do think there's a lot of shady stuff that happens with top-50 prospects, probably more with some and less with others. But if a university suddenly starts hauling in top-5 classes every year, then there has to be more to it than the coach is just a really charming fellow.

JB and our fan base would take pretty much any one-and-done if they wanted to come here. SU recruits pretty much the same players except for most of the CHI kids or deep south/TX/Plains kids. I have never once criticized Coach K or Cal for using the system to their advantage. They are very good coaches as well. We just have a very jealous fan base and will rip anybody who does it better than SU.
well said

Nobody criticizes K, everybody criticizes Cal (Media and fans). What is the difference?!

K has mastered the system. He always has a Senior leader mixed in with his 1 and done talent.

Quinn Cook was a very important player on this Duke NC team and he was a Senior. Calipari won his NC when he Anthony Davis but he Darius Miller and Eloy Vargas as Seniors and Sophomores in Doron Lamb to win. You need to sprinkle in experience with 1 and dones.

The reason why Kentucky went undefeated this year was having Junior Willie Cauly-Stein. Duke does't recruit a bunch of Freshman without having upperclassmen sprinkled in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom