RIP Frank Gifford | Syracusefan.com

RIP Frank Gifford

Goodbye Giff.

Gifford-in-action-2.jpg

RIP to the human love machine. He was a great football player before my time, but also a very talented broadcaster in more than just football. He was the announcer on the controversial 1972 USA Russia Olympic basketball game.

Watching him play for the NY Giants, with my dad while I was a kid growing up in CNY, he was truly the face of the team. It was a magical time for a skinny kid in the Southern tier, for he was everything any of us wanted to grow up to be. And he played with so many of the other great names, Connerley, Rote, Tittle, Huff, Shofner, the Roosevelts Grier and Brown, Patton, Lynch, Robustelli, Katkavage, Modzewleski ... So long old friend, it was great while we had you.

Watching him play for the NY Giants, with my dad while I was a kid growing up in CNY, he was truly the face of the team. It was a magical time for a skinny kid in the Southern tier, for he was everything any of us wanted to grow up to be. And he played with so many of the other great names, Connerley, Rote, Tittle, Huff, Shofner, the Roosevelts Grier and Brown, Patton, Lynch, Robustelli, Katkavage, Modzewleski ... So long old friend, it was great while we had you.

He also played with Pat Summerall. Amazing that one team had two future broadcasting legends on it.

He also played with Pat Summerall. Amazing that one team had two future broadcasting legends on it.

And that team had Lombardi and Landry as coordinators.

And that team had Lombardi and Landry as coordinators.

Yes indeed, I have a pretty neat photo of them all from that time hidden away somewhere around the house. I think it might have been the '59 team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom