RIP Marvin Barnes | Syracusefan.com

RIP Marvin Barnes

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...basketball-great-marvin-barnes-dead-at-62.ece

PROVIDENCE – Marvin Barnes, the greatest basketball big man ever from Rhode Island, has died.

Barnes, 62, died at a home in Providence, according to one of his dearest friends and old Providence College teammate Kevin Stacom. Stacom said he had been in touch with Barnes’ family earlier today.

Barnes was a high school star at Central High and then went on to an All-American career at Providence College, capped by leading the Friars to the 1973 Final Four. Barnes, Stacom and point guard wizard Ernie DiGregorio formed the core of what is considered the greatest team in Rhode Island college basketball history...

Bad News Barnes. One of the toughest, aggressive BB players ever. He and Ernie D. were truly an awesome twosome.
Stacom was a great player as well. They beat UCLA if Barnes doesn't get hurt.

That was the one and only Final Four I covered as a sportswriter (worked in Akron, talked editor into sending me to St. Looie 'cause a local guy, Generalissimo Roberto Knight, was coaching a team in the Final Four). Ernie D, Marvin and Stacom , et al, seemed to be headed for the championship, then Bad News went down with a knee injury, and Dave Gavitt's team's hopes of making it to Monday night (when Walton went 21 for 22) went with it. Marvin was a trip, but a special talent.

Last edited:
It was a given that Marvin would miss the 11 a.m shootaround in Kentucky. Once we got the itinerary for that trip and noticed that the flight was exactly one hour. Because of the change of time zones our return flight would leave Louisville at 8 am and arrive in St. Louis at 7:59.
Marvin looked at it an announced "I ain't gettin' on no time machine. I ain't takin' no flight that takes me back in time.

It was a given that Marvin would miss the 11 a.m shootaround in Kentucky. Once we got the itinerary for that trip and noticed that the flight was exactly one hour. Because of the change of time zones our return flight would leave Louisville at 8 am and arrive in St. Louis at 7:59.
Marvin looked at it an announced "I ain't gettin' on no time machine. I ain't takin' no flight that takes me back in time.
[

That was the one and only Final Four I covered as a sportswriter (worked in Akron, talked editor into sending me to St. Looie 'cause a local guy, Generalissimo Roberto Knight, was coaching a team in the Final Four). Ernie D, Marvin and Stacom , et al, seemed to be headed for the championship, then Bad News went down with a knee injury, and Dave Gavitt's team's hopes of making it to Monday night (when Walton went 21 for 22) went with it. Marvin was a trip, but a special talent.
As long as he couldn't get his hands on a tire iron.

Bad News Barnes. One of the toughest, aggressive BB players ever. He and Ernie D. were truly an awesome twosome.
Ernie Digregorio was my favorite player growing up. Loved that PC squad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom