RIP Tom Browning | Syracusefan.com

RIP Tom Browning

He pitched for LeMoyne. The me of my favorite Browning moments was when he was on the DL for the Refs when they were playing the Cubs. He made his way out to a rooftop in Wrigleyville in full uniform during the game to watch for a bit. Rest In Peace.

Oh no, this stinks. I think he was from Chadwicks, NY.
Not sure where that is but I thought he was from up north, near Malone. Amazing that he and Jim Deshaies both pitched at LeMoyne and had nice MLB careers. Very sad to read about another guy around my age passing away. Much too young. RIP.

He pitched for LeMoyne. The me of my favorite Browning moments was when he was on the DL for the Refs when they were playing the Cubs. He made his way out to a rooftop in Wrigleyville in full uniform during the game to watch for a bit. Rest In Peace.

Not sure where that is but I thought he was from up north, near Malone. Amazing that he and Jim Deshaies both pitched at LeMoyne and had nice MLB careers. Very sad to read about another guy around my age passing away. Much too young. RIP.

If I’m not mistaken, he lived in Chadwick’s and played high school at Sauquoit. Sauquoit and Chadwick’s are right down Rt.8 from New Hartford where Andy Van Slyke played at the same time.

Broke his arm mid pitch I believe.Has the only perfect game in Reds history
The batter when that happened was Archi Cianfrocco who went to Rome Free Academy and then went on Purdue after a stint at OCC.

If I’m not mistaken, he lived in Chadwick’s and played high school at Sauquoit. Sauquoit and Chadwick’s are right down Rt.8 from New Hartford where Andy Van Slyke played at the same time.
The article says he graduated from Franklin academy in 1978, where he was a star pitcher. That would be Malone.

The batter when that happened was Archi Cianfrocco who went to Rome Free Academy and then went on Purdue after a stint at OCC.
I recall Dave Dravecky also doing that, due to a bone tumor

The article says he graduated from Franklin academy in 1978, where he was a star pitcher. That would be Malone.
Interesting, I know that he played legion ball in the Utica area.

Interesting, I know that he played legion ball in the Utica area.
Probably had to, to get more game action. There was not much baseball action in that part of the state (malone and area ) outside of the actual school season and the competition was not great. Would make sense to head south if you were serious about it. Franky I’m surprised he stayed in Malone for high school given his ability

Probably had to, to get more game action. There was not much baseball action in that part of the state (malone and area ) outside of the actual school season and the competition was not great. Would make sense to head south if you were serious about it. Franky I’m surprised he stayed in Malone for high school given his ability
He went to Chadwicks High School (before they merged with Sauquoit) before Malone. I don't know if his family moved or if he just went there for school. Anyway, I am sad to see he has passed away.

Browning from Malone and Deshaies from Massena.

Browning from Malone and Deshaies from Massena.
Yup. And Dave LaPointe and David Palmer from the Glens Falls area. Four guys from upstate/northern NY all playing in the majors at the same time. Add in Van Slyke and that is five pretty good careers.

Yup. And Dave LaPointe and David Palmer from the Glens Falls area. Four guys from upstate/northern NY all playing in the majors at the same time. Add in Van Slyke and that is five pretty good careers.
Mel Hall, Mark Lemke, Jerry Brooks, and Chris Jones were all in the majors at this time as well.

I recall Dave Dravecky also doing that, due to a bone tumor

Yes, a game at the Big Owe in Montreal in 1989. Loud crack - ugh. He had already had cancer at that point, but the surgery to remove the cancer resulted in some of his muscles having to be removed

He came back too quickly, and his arm (due to the muscle removed) was not strong enough. Doctors had told him to come back in 1990 instead.

Mel Hall, Mark Lemke, Jerry Brooks, and Chris Jones were all in the majors at this time as well.
Jerry Brooks (Fowler) hit a home run off of me to left field at MacCarthur Stadium that almost closed down Hancock International Airport.

How about from a few years earlier Dave Cash, Proctor HS Utica? He belongs on your list. (And I haven't even included Andy Madden, from New Hartford who was drafted in the first round by the Red Sox in 1977 but hurt his arm in the minors and never played in the majors.)

I think Van Slyke and Browning both played on American Legion Clonan post at the same time, but Madden was considered the best prospect on the team.

Last edited:
How about from a few years earlier Dave Cash, Proctor HS Utica? He belongs on your list. (And I haven't even included Andy Madden, from New Hartford who was drafted in the first round by the Red Sox in 1977 but hurt his arm in the minors and never played in the majors.)
Was Andy Madden related to the Madden Concrete people?

Jerry Brooks (Fowler) hit a home run off of me to left field at MacCarthur Stadium that almost closed down Hancock International Airport.
He hit a home run against us (J-D) that was a moonshot. My coach went out to the mound, put his arm around the pitcher and said, “One day, you can tell your children that you gave up the longest home run that your coach has ever seen.”

Was Andy Madden related to the Madden Concrete people?
The Madden's were a big entended family in the New Hartford area but I don't know if there is a connection to Madden Concrete. The father owned a business that installed truck springs - It might have been called "Utica Springs" or something like that. Andy's older brother Chris played basketball for Siena and owns a contracting business in the Albany/Saratoga area. Another older brother Jerome played football for Boston College and later became the police chief in Concord NH. They were all great athletes - all over 6'5".

Yes, a game at the Big Owe in Montreal in 1989. Loud crack - ugh. He had already had cancer at that point, but the surgery to remove the cancer resulted in some of his muscles having to be removed

He came back too quickly, and his arm (due to the muscle removed) was not strong enough. Doctors had told him to come back in 1990 instead.
I can still see that replay in my head unfortunately.

He hit a home run against us (J-D) that was a moonshot. My coach went out to the mound, put his arm around the pitcher and said, “One day, you can tell your children that you gave up the longest home run that your coach has ever seen.”
In the old OHSL south every school has a Mel Hall home run story. That scumbag was before my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom