Roberson

SU
Seton Hall
Loyola, Md
Endicott
St John Fisher
Oswego St
Geneseo St
Sounds like my family. My sister is St. John Fisher grad, my nephew graduated from Genesseo in '14, and I attended Oswego.

cuseattle said:
Sounds like my family. My sister is St. John Fisher grad, my nephew graduated from Genesseo in '14, and I attended Oswego.

Maybe she's related to you?

Not in our system, IMO.

I think people might be surprised by Obokoh's capability to contribute as a reserve this year. That would be far more ideal than Roberson playing the 5.

If DC goes down. Obokoh can't play the whole 40 minutes. What will JB do?

If DC goes down. Obokoh can't play the whole 40 minutes. What will JB do?

If DC goes down, our season is toast.

I believe that Obokoh will prove to be a more adequate backup than many [most?] on this board expect, but if he has to start and / or play consistently big minutes, we're in trouble.

We need Coleman to not only be productive, but also to stay healthy.

Have any of you been to the Melo center and seen Obokoh this summer? I remember last year there were reports of him being a great rebounder in practice, and then an article in the paper where physically, he looked totally ripped.
Then the season came, and he just didnt look like he'd put it all together yet. He's definitely going to get the chance to play this year. I just hope hes taken the next step mentally, the light bulb has gone on, and he's ready for Beast Mode :)

Have any of you been to the Melo center and seen Obokoh this summer? I remember last year there were reports of him being a great rebounder in practice, and then an article in the paper where physically, he looked totally ripped.
Then the season came, and he just didnt look like he'd put it all together yet. He's definitely going to get the chance to play this year. I just hope hes taken the next step mentally, the light bulb has gone on, and he's ready for Beast Mode :)

The one "good" thing about the Diagne situation is that it happened far enough in advance for Obokoh to know that he's got to be ready. It might be a different situation if this had lingered, or if the NCAA had somehow dragged this out through October before declaring him ineligible.

I would imagine that Chino knows he has to contribute in a reserve capacity, and will do what it takes to be ready. And I'm sure that the coaching staff will ensure that he's ready, too.

The one "good" thing about the Diagne situation is that it happened far enough in advance for Obokoh to know that he's got to be ready. It might be a different situation if this had lingered, or if the NCAA had somehow dragged this out through October before declaring him ineligible.

I would imagine that Chino knows he has to contribute in a reserve capacity, and will do what it takes to be ready. And I'm sure that the coaching staff will ensure that he's ready, too.

I think he plays about 12 minutes a game this year and is a solid reserve for us by the end of the season. We are really just looking for solid positional defense, some sort of presence on the glass and economical use of his fouls. I think the 3rd one might be the toughest for him but they are all doable. Anything on offense past knowing where to be in the sets so he doesn't disrupt the flow is a bonus. Another thing to consider as a positive is that Obokoh is likely next years backup center as well. All signs point to the likelihood of Coleman taking his degree and moving on. This season of being forced into that roll will help next years team.

I think he plays about 12 minutes a game this year and is a solid reserve for us by the end of the season. We are really just looking for solid positional defense, some sort of presence on the glass and economical use of his fouls. I think the 3rd one might be the toughest for him but they are all doable. Anything on offense past knowing where to be in the sets so he doesn't disrupt the flow is a bonus. Another thing to consider as a positive is that Obokoh is likely next years backup center as well. All signs point to the likelihood of Coleman taking his degree and moving on. This season of being forced into that roll will help next years team.
^^^^^

Emphasis on staying out of foul trouble!

I'm good with every person on the roster but my ONLY two concerns are DC with his knees and Chino's skill level. It's a shame the only 2 real question marks we have are at the same position.

I really wish and actually try to have faith in Chino but he looked soooooo beyond lost on the court last year that it's very difficult for me to believe he will be an asset. I had the concerns when he came in and I hope I'm wrong down the road but he's shown absolutely zero. First thought is if he plays 12 minutes a game that it will be a rough 12 minutes, even if he plays 12 that's still 28 minutes for DC which I think is pushing his limits. Teams with a small 5 will make it easier to put Roberson at the 5 which I think really has to be a strong option for us. If all reports are right with him bulking up big time, even with his short stature considering the position it will probably be the best play, it also gives Lydon more opportunity on the floor.

I'm good with every person on the roster but my ONLY two concerns are DC with his knees and Chino's skill level. It's a shame the only 2 real question marks we have are at the same position.

I really wish and actually try to have faith in Chino but he looked soooooo beyond lost on the court last year that it's very difficult for me to believe he will be an asset. I had the concerns when he came in and I hope I'm wrong down the road but he's shown absolutely zero. First thought is if he plays 12 minutes a game that it will be a rough 12 minutes, even if he plays 12 that's still 28 minutes for DC which I think is pushing his limits. Teams with a small 5 will make it easier to put Roberson at the 5 which I think really has to be a strong option for us. If all reports are right with him bulking up big time, even with his short stature considering the position it will probably be the best play, it also gives Lydon more opportunity on the floor.

I know I'm the only one who made these observations about Chino -- but when I saw him in practice two years ago [his true freshman year], he showed signs he could compete physically AND contribute.

His offensive skill is neglibible; he'll give us what Keita did [i.e,. the occasional put back, dunk, FT, etc. but not much more]. If the ball falls to him right under the basket, he'll convert inside, but you aren't going to run any plays for him.

Even two years ago, when he was relatively scrawny, he competed. When I first saw him, I was disappointed. He'd been listed as a 6-10 kid, so I figured maybe 6-9. He was barely 6-8, not that bulky, and seemed to have kind of short arms [anyone who remembers TRob will relate to what I'm talking about]. When they started doing drills, he kind of runs at 3/4 speed. Don't get me wrong, he isn't slow, but he also isn't a gazelle. And he didn't seem to have a clue about positioning on either end [although granted, that was too years ago].

So as I was watching him at those early practices, I was scratching my head a bit wondering why we brought him in. Then the scrimmage started.

Now, I want to be clear that he was / is far from refined. But that was the year that Rak really "bulked up" [he was always strong, but he went from being a younger player with a solid build to having a man build that senior year]. Coleman was also a big, strong guy.

And yet, there was this skinny frosh giving them both fits inside. He rebounded like a terror [no exaggeration]. he blocked a TON of shots, and was physical as hell with them. Granted, he committed a lot of fouls, and that kind of physical play probably wouldn't fly in a game, but he more than held his own. Imagine Rak getting a catch inside, and then doing a spin move for a little hook shot, only to have this smaller player swat it into the bleachers.

I could see right away that Obokoh would need a lot of work, and that he'd probably never be much more than a backup. But there is definitely the capability there for him to contribute at this level.

I know that isn't going to satisfy some, who expect that we should only be recruiting 4-stars and above. But trust me--the kid I saw that day could give us a solid 10 minutes per game in a reserve role.

I'm also encouraged by two more things: [1] he improved his physique quite a bit between year one and year two, adding a lot of noticable muscle to his frame. I think it is reasonable to expect that if he showed that work ethic in the weight room, he'll be even bigger this season [its not like the kid is suddenly going to stop lifting weights]. And [2] he's going to have months since Diagne got declared ineligible knowing that he has to play in some capacity, so I'd expect the coaching staff to have him ready.

On the downside, until proven otherwise, his hoops IQ still has to be considered low. And he hasn't played a ton of minutes, so he has a lot of proving to do. I completely concede that.

I know I'm the only one who made these observations about Chino -- but when I saw him in practice two years ago [his true freshman year], he showed signs he could compete physically AND contribute.

His offensive skill is neglibible; he'll give us what Keita did [i.e,. the occasional put back, dunk, FT, etc. but not much more]. If the ball falls to him right under the basket, he'll convert inside, but you aren't going to run any plays for him.

Even two years ago, when he was relatively scrawny, he competed. When I first saw him, I was disappointed. He'd been listed as a 6-10 kid, so I figured maybe 6-9. He was barely 6-8, not that bulky, and seemed to have kind of short arms [anyone who remembers TRob will relate to what I'm talking about]. When they started doing drills, he kind of runs at 3/4 speed. Don't get me wrong, he isn't slow, but he also isn't a gazelle. And he didn't seem to have a clue about positioning on either end [although granted, that was too years ago].

So as I was watching him at those early practices, I was scratching my head a bit wondering why we brought him in. Then the scrimmage started.

Now, I want to be clear that he was / is far from refined. But that was the year that Rak really "bulked up" [he was always strong, but he went from being a younger player with a solid build to having a man build that senior year]. Coleman was also a big, strong guy.

And yet, there was this skinny frosh giving them both fits inside. He rebounded like a terror [no exaggeration]. he blocked a TON of shots, and was physical as hell with them. Granted, he committed a lot of fouls, and that kind of physical play probably wouldn't fly in a game, but he more than held his own. Imagine Rak getting a catch inside, and then doing a spin move for a little hook shot, only to have this smaller player swat it into the bleachers.

I could see right away that Obokoh would need a lot of work, and that he'd probably never be much more than a backup. But there is definitely the capability there for him to contribute at this level.

I know that isn't going to satisfy some, who expect that we should only be recruiting 4-stars and above. But trust me--the kid I saw that day could give us a solid 10 minutes per game in a reserve role.

I'm also encouraged by two more things: [1] he improved his physique quite a bit between year one and year two, adding a lot of noticable muscle to his frame. I think it is reasonable to expect that if he showed that work ethic in the weight room, he'll be even bigger this season [its not like the kid is suddenly going to stop lifting weights]. And [2] he's going to have months since Diagne got declared ineligible knowing that he has to play in some capacity, so I'd expect the coaching staff to have him ready.

On the downside, until proven otherwise, his hoops IQ still has to be considered low. And he hasn't played a ton of minutes, so he has a lot of proving to do. I completely concede that.
I agree with you. I think he was better than many of his predecessors at this age and size. No offensive game but he doesn't have stone hands and he is very aggressive. It's almost as if some of the posters don't realize that these kids make huge strides from year to year.

I agree with you. I think he was better than many of his predecessors at this age and size. No offensive game but he doesn't have stone hands and he is very aggressive. It's almost as if some of the posters don't realize that these kids make huge strides from year to year.

It's not a rule that all players do, especially one who is so behind the curve coming in.

I think Roberson is going to make a huge leap this year. He's just too strong and was already on the edge of greatness last year.

I agree to a point, he had games where he earned be nickname "beast" with a massive amount of rebounds. But other games he disappeared. If he can be consistent then 12 boards a game is probable.

I think Roberson is going to make a huge leap this year. He's just too strong and was already on the edge of greatness last year.

Definitely possible. I think we can expect 14-15 and 9.

I agree to a point, he had games where he earned be nickname "beast" with a massive amount of rebounds. But other games he disappeared. If he can be consistent then 12 boards a game is probable.

12 would be incredible, but I think we both agree that Roberson [despite being skinny] is a phenomenal rebounder. That would be the most in program history, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I'm thinking more like 9 per game, but you never know.

12 would be incredible, but I think we both agree that Roberson [despite being skinny] is a phenomenal rebounder. That would be the most in program history, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I'm thinking more like 9 per game, but you never know.

I've been thinking about him a lot this off season and yes, 12 seems like a ton and unrealistic to a point, but the reason I think he can is because of those games he had 17 they were SO effortless that I think he'll have a bunch of games like that and on "off days" still be able to pick up 8-9 with ease. He's such a great rebounder that if we've ever had anybody in our history average 10-12 plus, it would be Roberson.

Dajuan and Obokoh are physical rebounders, and teams know Gbinije is the better ball handler and will try to keep him out of transition by forcing him to rebound more then Roberson. Roberson should be a hustler down the court in transition without the ball though, if we can keep him down to around 28-33 mpg instead of 35-40.

I think Roberson will be around the 7.3 rpg mark I give him a extra board for offense. Him and Coleman enjoy going after the offensive boards.

You would have to go back a long ways to find four guys stronger in the frontcourt then Coleman, Obokoh, Roberson and Gbinije though. Or stronger then Gbinije Coleman and Roberson for that matter.

Last edited:
I think Dajuan and Obokoh can rebound real strong and teams know Gbinije is the better ball handler and will try to keep him out of transition by forcing him to rebound more then Roberson. But Roberson may be a better hustler down the court without the ball if we can keep him down to around 30-33 mpg instead of 36-40.

You would have to go back a long ways to find four guys stronger in the frontcourt then Coleman, Obokoh, Roberson and Gbinije though. And Gbinije Coleman and Roberson is strong for a starting lineup. Especially if Roberson learns to attack off the dribble posting up our offense could be dynamite with Coleman in.

Do you even watch Syracuse basketball?

OK go ahead name them then, dont be shy. My bad, Maybe I mislead you, I mean on one team.

I'm not understanding how you could say "You have to look far back for a stronger backcourt" with Chin's name as one of the participants. Roberson is solid, G is solid, but outside of the two of them DC is a big question mark and to say it kindly, Chinoso is not a good player. How that equates to a great front court I don't know.

But to answer your question, how was last years front court going into the season worse than this one? Rak, McCullough, Roberson, and G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom