Rocco out at St. Thomas Aquinas | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rocco out at St. Thomas Aquinas

dinosaurbbq said:
You get him out on the road talking to recruits about what his coaching will do for their game if they come to SU. Particularly Rocco dealing with any non-solid Florida kids.

I think we're pretty much down to a few kids, most of them high priority gets out of NJ. Plenty of time for the new coach to get after 2016 recruits.

I don't get the hand wringing about this next hire as it pertains to recruiting. Shafer has shown a deep knowledge and understanding of recruiting. Acosta and McDonald were both good hires tied to an important area.

Whitey23 said:
NC St thought it was a benefit to get McDonald on the road.

Might have more holes to fill?

Not to get everyone's hopes up, so don't take this as some kind of fact, but I heard 2nd hand tonight that there MIGHT be a positive development with Rocco.
I'm not getting hopes up but...that would HAVE to put us in the lead for O'Korn, right?

I'm not getting hopes up but...that would HAVE to put us in the lead for O'Korn, right?

magic8ball_betcherass.jpg

I hope this works out as well. If he is hired I will be very excited to see what transpires up to LOI signing day. You can't tell me Casullo would not influence kids from Florida to come to Syracuse. Especially coming from a Powerhouse like STA. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Could Rocco be taking Eric White's place? I just don't see him joining the staff as a position coach unless there is a significant staff restructuring. If not recruiting director then maybe one of the quality control positions?

Could Rocco be taking Eric White's place? I just don't see him joining the staff as a position coach unless there is a significant staff restructuring. If not recruiting director then maybe one of the quality control positions?
I'm not sure why you couldn't see him taking a position coach job considering, ya know...he's a coach. He coaches TEs and maybe ST, Acosta moves to WR. Boom. Done.

Primarily because of the racial balance of the staff. If that weren't a consideration I would agree the TE/ST would seem a possible fit as Acosta will almost certainly move to WR. If racial balance is ignored, I think the move that might most excite me is John Regan to OL and Asst Head Coach- someone outside the Shafer "tree" who would bring some new ideas and excellent experience to the offense, Adam to TE/ST and Acosta to WR.

I'm not sure why you couldn't see him taking a position coach job considering, ya know...he's a coach. He coaches TEs and maybe ST, Acosta moves to WR. Boom. Done.

Last edited:
Primarily because of the racial balance of the staff. If that weren't a consideration I would agree the TE/ST would seem a possible fit as Acosta will almost certainly move to WR. If racial balance is ignored, I think the move that might most excite me is John Regan to OL and Asst Head Coach- someone outside the Shafer "tree" who would bring some new ideas and excellent experience to the offense, Adam to TE/ST and Acosta to WR.

Acosta, Reed, Smith all minorities on staff. Not sure race is a huge issue. BC only has two minorities in full-time positions on its staff. Clemson has three, same # as SU. Those are the only two I checked but I'm sure there are some with more and some with less than SU.

Not even sure what to say about this post. Racial Balance? LOL

Why are you guys so convinced that he's the best possible hire? He coached an already prestigious program...doesn't necessarily mean he can recruit the region for a D1 program.

I have no trouble whatsoever believing it is true.

Making sure a staff as some diversity sure. Using some magic formula to create balance or not hiring the best person, regardless of color is stupid and not something I believe would come into play here as described above in SUFan44's post.

I don't know what Shafer is thinking about this hire but the naivete your "belief" represents is amusing.

Making sure a staff as some diversity sure. Using some magic formula to create balance or not hiring the best person, regardless of color is stupid and not something I believe would come into play here as described above in SUFan44's post.

only 25% of Alabama's staff is minority
10 coaches * 0.25 = 2.5 coaches. That is some very precise tracking of coaching parentage.

Or did you mean extended staff, including S&C, recruiting, academic support, etc. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom