Rochester Report | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rochester Report

The 3-4 allows our LBs to attack and use their speed and pass rush ability. No to mention it gives the opposing offense more to prepare for.

In lieu of the 3-4 we use the okie which instead of another LB we use another safety.

In lieu of the 3-4 we use the okie which instead of another LB we use another safety.
I like the okie, but with the 3-4 we could better utilize Davis and Lynch's pass rushing skills as well

I like the okie, but with the 3-4 we could better utilize Davis and Lynch's pass rushing skills as well

In the Okie, the extra safety blitzes too. In our scheme, some of our safeties are like OLB's. Many teams, including us, move safeties to OLB (P did it a lot) such as Davis. I think the 3-4 is a consideration as a base defense but we use 4-3. If we aren't going to use 3-4 as a base, I don't think it matters a whole lot that we use Okie vs 3-4 as our second defense. Depending upon who the safety is that we use, the Okie can almost be seen as an alternate to both the 3-4 and the nickel package.

In the Okie, the extra safety blitzes too. In our scheme, some of our safeties and like OLB's. Many teams, including us, move safeties to OLB (P did it a lot) such as Davis. I think the 3-4 is a consideration as a base defense but we use 4-3. If we aren't going to use 3-4 as a base, I don't think it matters a whole lot that we use Okie vs 3-4 as our second defense. Depending upon who the safety is that we use, the Okie can almost be seen as an alternate to both the 3-4 and the nickel package.
I do understand this, but with the 3-4 we will be able to better provide run coverage with the two MLBs playing zone defense over the middle while the OLBs are rushing. With the okie there is that chance to get beat bad by a bigger back if the play turns out to be a run. Also, with the 3-4 it allows us to cover the flats and short middle with more size without sacrificing too much athleticism. They're both very similar and have their positives and negatives. I just feel that with the athleticism of our LBs we can afford to play the 3-4 and maintain better size.

I do understand this, but with the 3-4 we will be able to better provide run coverage with the two MLBs playing zone defense over the middle while the OLBs are rushing. With the okie there is that chance to get beat bad by a bigger back if the play turns out to be a run. Also, with the 3-4 it allows us to cover the flats and short middle with more size without sacrificing too much athleticism. They're both very similar and have their positives and negatives. I just feel that with the athleticism of our LBs we can afford to play the 3-4 and maintain better size.

IMO. some of our safteies are just as good, and as big a hitter, as some of out OLB's. I think it's a push since the safety also provides better pass coverage in the flat...probably. I just think the 3-4 is a 2nd defense, it is a base defense.

Do we have any idea who we use for our Okie this year? Is it Shamarko and then we have JW and Eskridge playing the SS/FS? Is Mungwa a candidate for the Okie? I remember somebody mentioning him as a big hitter.

Do we have any idea who we use for our Okie this year? Is it Shamarko and then we have JW and Eskridge playing the SS/FS? Is Mwunga a candidate for the Okie? I remember somebody mentioning him as a big hitter.
I think Mungwa will be the one they go with

Coker has always intrigued me, he has made some huge hits on special teams. People have said he struggles with the playbook, maybe this is the year the light goes on.

Coker = A poor man's JR Johnson

I refuse to get excited about this group until they actually do something in the fall. I'm not doubting the observers I just feel like it's groundhog day.

I read all of this Spring/Preseason stuff with a great deal of skepticism. But I still get excited for every SU football season with high expectations.

The 3-4 allows our LBs to attack and use their speed and pass rush ability. No to mention it gives the opposing offense more to prepare for.

There are 13 DL's (14 with Garrick) and 8 LB's set to be on scholarship next year. Does that look like they building the roster to go 3-4.

There are 13 DL's (14 with Garrick) and 8 LB's set to be on scholarship next year. Does that look like they building the roster to go 3-4.

Let's add that we aren't lining up the 85 Bears on defense either. Adding another layer of responsibility to this group probably wouldn't help our cause. I think the Okie is a good wrinkle, but let's get good at what we do before we start switching up defenses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom