ROCKY HORROR | Syracusefan.com

ROCKY HORROR

tbonezone

Living Legend
had a chance to watch the remake of the cult classic ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW last night .
first watched the original in 1979 at the river toad playhouse in clayton ny. saw again it that fall in OSWEGO so i knew how to dress and what to bring and throw. just curious as to what the old-timers thought of the remake. laverne cox vs tim curry and the scantily clad victoria justice vs. the young and strangely exuberant susan sarandon. dammit janet just want to hear your thoughts.

and a happy all hallows eve to all.

IMO. nothing can beat the original. I can't count how many times I've seen it. Haven't seen the remake.

I did see the (short-lived) Broadway show in around 2001 or so, with a bunch of Broadway actors, and Joan Jett as Columbia. For my birthday, my wife got me seats in front (it was done in the round - actually a square - so we were right there).

During one song (can't remember which one - Time Warp?), Joan approached me, grabbed my hand, and put it on her a$$.

I was a bit surprised, to say the least.

And none of my friends can say they've touched Joan Jett's rear end. :)

When I was a teenager it was a weekend ritual to go see the midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show. For years the audience was populated with an amazing range of people, the costumes were awesome, and the counter culture was in full force. It had an amazing run with a dedicated following across the country.

Has anything else come close as a national phenomena? Star Wars was similar but didn't have the same legs. The theatre production of the Fantasticks ran off-broadway for 42 years, eight shows a week, but that was only in NYC and while popular it didn't have the same impact elsewhere in the country.

I've seen the original more times than I can count. My next door neighbor freshman year in college had the audience participation album, so I learned all the lines to yell. I played Eddie in the Syracuse Talent Company's productions of Rocky Horror at the Civic Center in both 1994 and 1995. At the read through on the first day of rehearsals, I'm yelling out all of the lines and the girl playing Janet was mortified. She looked over at our director, the late great Christine Lightcap, for help, and all she did was take a drag on her cigarette and said, " You better get used to it, honey."

Anyway, I watched the remake and honestly, it was a struggle for me to get through. I don't remember any specifics about it now, other than that something I really enjoyed was lessened (ever see Godfather 3?) I haven't seen the remake since, and don't plan to. That being said, I still love the original and would watch that if it's on TV tonight.

When I was a teenager it was a weekend ritual to go see the midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show. For years the audience was populated with an amazing range of people, the costumes were awesome, and the counter culture was in full force. It had an amazing run with a dedicated following across the country.

Has anything else come close as a national phenomena? Star Wars was similar but didn't have the same legs. The theatre production of the Fantasticks ran off-broadway for 42 years, eight shows a week, but that was only in NYC and while popular it didn't have the same impact elsewhere in the country.

I love the fact that Det. Lenny Briscoe was the original El Gallo.

had a chance to watch the remake of the cult classic ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW last night .
first watched the original in 1979 at the river toad playhouse in clayton ny. saw again it that fall in OSWEGO so i knew how to dress and what to bring and throw. just curious as to what the old-timers thought of the remake. laverne cox vs tim curry and the scantily clad victoria justice vs. the young and strangely exuberant susan sarandon. dammit janet just want to hear your thoughts.

and a happy all hallows eve to all.
It played at the Clayton Opera House again last night.

59FEE8CF-DB61-4414-90B7-A0C725CF0FEF.png

it was strange thing indeed that the stoned kids enjoyed it way more than the teetotalers way back when.
3 movies i watch every year this day. rocky. the ghost and mr chicken. and nightmare before christmas.
pop me a few brews and hand out the sugar.

IMO. nothing can beat the original. I can't count how many times I've seen it. Haven't seen the remake.

I did see the (short-lived) Broadway show in around 2001 or so, with a bunch of Broadway actors, and Joan Jett as Columbia. For my birthday, my wife got me seats in front (it was done in the round - actually a square - so we were right there).

During one song (can't remember which one - Time Warp?), Joan approached me, grabbed my hand, and put it on her a$$.

I was a bit surprised, to say the least.

And none of my friends can say they've touched Joan Jett's rear end. :)

It's just a grope to the left...

I am fortunate to have seen "The Fantasticks" at The Sullivan St. Theater. My favorite show ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom