Class of 2016 - Romello White to ASU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Romello White to ASU

What is an academic redshirt? Did that just start this year?

Its special code for academically ineligible to play bball. Will not make the clearinghouse. So they get him ready and he practices with the team I'd guess. Probably cannot travel either.

Its special code for academically ineligible to play bball. Will not make the clearinghouse. So they get him ready and he practices with the team I'd guess. Probably cannot travel either.
Yeah, but when did this start? Previously, wouldn't a kid have had to go to JUCO (Diagne) or prep a year?

Yeah, but when did this start? Previously, wouldn't a kid have had to go to JUCO (Diagne) or prep a year?
I'm guessing just like Omari Spellman from Nova that White was admitted into ASU, but the NCAA didn't clear him. As Jordoo stated, he can stay at the school and practice, but can't play and travel with the team. The issue with Diagne that I think most don't realize is that he never was admitted into SU in the first place. So there wasn't many options left for him outside of the JC ranks when the NCAA didn't clear him as well.

I'm guessing just like Omari Spellman from Nova that White was admitted into ASU, but the NCAA didn't clear him. As Jordoo stated, he can stay at the school and practice, but can't play and travel with the team. The issue with Diagne that I think most don't realize is that he never was admitted into SU in the first place. So there wasn't many options left for him outside of the JC ranks when the NCAA didn't clear him as well.

The oddity is calling it a redshirt implies they don't lose a year of eligibility, but that seems impossible in a case like this. Does the kid doesn't still have 4 years of eligibility left? I would assume he only has 3 left after this.

The oddity is calling it a redshirt implies they don't lose a year of eligibility, but that seems impossible in a case like this. Does the kid doesn't still have 4 years of eligibility left? I would assume he only has 3 left after this.
That is why I was asking about it, I had never heard of it until Spellman, and now here it is again. Is this new?

From my understanding you have 5 years to play 4 seasons. Thus if he is not eligible, by the NCAA, to play then he would still have 4 years.

From my understanding you have 5 years to play 4 seasons. Thus if he is not eligible, by the NCAA, to play then he would still have 4 years.

Agreed the reason for the red-shirt shouldn't matter.

But didn't Chino lose a year because of academics? I don't remember the specifics on that one. Now that I think about it, I think the deal was he was too smart (had "too many classes") and the NCAA wanted to knock him down a peg or something.

The NCAA changed the eligibility rules in recent years. Spellman and White would both have been full academic qualifiers in the past, but there is now a gray area where you are allowed to receive athletic aid but are ineligible to compete as a freshman if your core GPA is between 2.0 & 2.29 but you hit the minimum SAT, or if you do not complete 10 of your 16 required core classes prior to the spring semester of senior year.

This year counts as a redshirt, so the player would have 4 years to play 4 after sitting out.

Here's a PDF explaining these new rules:

http://www.goyotes.com/documents/2015/2/10/NCAANewAcademics2016.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom