Ron Santo will go into the Baseball HOF | Syracusefan.com

Ron Santo will go into the Baseball HOF

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Does he deserve to be elected? Seems like a lot of people have reviewed his candidacy and passed. Wasn't elected by the baseball writers, or the original veterans committee, now finally elected by the Golden Era committee that replaced the old veterans committee.

I haven't looked at his stats in comparison to others of his era, I probably should. I find it very difficult to look at stats from that era and assign much meaning to them now that standards have become so inflated as a result of the steroids era and smaller balls parks of more recent years.

One thing I did note is that his Cubs teams never made an appearance in the post season despite playing with 2 other HOFers in the everyday lineup over a period of 11 years between 1960 and 1971. During that period Santo, Ernie Banks and Billy Williams were all fixtures with the Cubs. Santo was the last to come to the big leagues not getting there until 1960 and Banks retired after the 1971 season. You can also add HOF pitcher Ferguson Jenkins to that team during a portion of the run beginning in 1966.

Seems like a lot of talent for no post season appearances.

Does he deserve to be elected? Seems like a lot of people have reviewed his candidacy and passed. Wasn't elected by the baseball writers, or the original veterans committee, now finally elected by the Golden Era committee that replaced the old veterans committee.

I haven't looked at his stats in comparison to others of his era, I probably should. I find it very difficult to look at stats from that era and assign much meaning to them now that standards have become so inflated as a result of the steroids era and smaller balls parks of more recent years.

One thing I did note is that his Cubs teams never made an appearance in the post season despite playing with 2 other HOFers in the everyday lineup over a period of 11 years between 1960 and 1971. During that period Santo, Ernie Banks and Billy Williams were all fixtures with the Cubs. Santo was the last to come to the big leagues not getting there until 1960 and Banks retired after the 1971 season. You can also add HOF pitcher Ferguson Jenkins to that team during a portion of the run beginning in 1966.

Seems like a lot of talent for no post season appearances.

Santo's election was long overdue. He was a tremendous hitter in his era (especially for his position) and excellent with the glove. Just wish they put Gil Hodges in with him.

As for the Cubs not making the postseason with that HoF talent, remember that until the advent of division play in 1969 you either made the World Series or went home. The Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Reds, Pirates and Mets had some pretty nice teams in those years and the Cubs never quite got over the hump.

Santo's election was long overdue. He was a tremendous hitter in his era (especially for his position) and excellent with the glove. Just wish they put Gil Hodges in with him.

As for the Cubs not making the postseason with that HoF talent, remember that until the advent of division play in 1969 you either made the World Series or went home. The Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Reds, Pirates and Mets had some pretty nice teams in those years and the Cubs never quite got over the hump.

The NL was loaded at that time. When I think back to all of the amazing players (Mays, Aaron, Gibson, Marichal, McCovey, Bench, Rose, Perez, etc, etc, etc) it makes me wish that I was still a kid and had all of my baseball cards.

I've always liked the Cubs so it makes me very happy to see Santo go in. I've seen the Cubs a few times in Scottsdale but never at Wrigley Field. It's great seeing the older stars during spring training like Banks and Billy Williams and Ryne Sandberg and I even got a chance to sing along with Harry Carey during the 7th inning stretch. Well, me and 10,000 others. However, I definitely need to get to a game at Wrigley Field.

My absolute favorite Cub of all time, right ahead of Ferguson Jenkins. Growing up as a Cub and Red Sox fan I might not have cheered for champions, but I could not wait for the paper to come every afternoon so I could read the box scores. Cubs and Red Sox games were the first one's devoured. Too bad he was not alive to see this honor.

I have no problem with Santo getting in, but I have to be honest, I have loved the sport my whole life, but until they figure a tasteful and acceptable way to get the steroid era players in... The HOF will be eternally broken.

Nice player, NOT a hall of famer.

He was on the ballot for 15 years. Never cracked 50% of the vote I believe. I think he never got higher than 43% but don't hold me to that. Then he is OFF the ballot for 13 years and now by magic he gets in? HOW? WHY? What changed in the last 13 years, did he play more games and pad his stats? Seriously this is a total joke on every level!

He was on the ballot for 15 years. Never cracked 50% of the vote I believe. I think he never got higher than 43% but don't hold me to that. Then he is OFF the ballot for 13 years and now by magic he gets in? HOW? WHY? What changed in the last 13 years, did he play more games and pad his stats? Seriously this is a total joke on every level!

Stern is mad dog!! Love your show Russo

For one thing he was overshadowed by the other stars on his team but he did make nine All Star teams during his career. In addition to being a pretty good hitter he was also a pretty good fielder. Bottom line is that during the 60's he was one of the best at his position. Whether or not that qualifies you as an All Star, obviously it is debatable.

Santo was simply the best third baseman in the National League in the 1960-1975 time frame. He was one of the most consistent power hitters of his era and an excellent fielder. He was arguably a better all-around player than Brooks Robinson, the best third basemen in the American League during that period.

In addition, third base is probably the most under-represented position in the HOF. Santo definitely belongs.

Santo was simply the best third baseman in the National League in the 1960-1975 time frame. He was one of the most consistent power hitters of his era and an excellent fielder. He was arguably a better all-around player than Brooks Robinson, the best third basemen in the American League during that period.

In addition, third base is probably the most under-represented position in the HOF. Santo definitely belongs.

I never saw him play, but your description seems to fit best what I have heard in the past. Comparing players to their own generation is the key to this, and is often completely overlooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom