Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

At 830 pm eastern time tonight, do you guys think ron would pick coming back to su or trying to make a team as an udfa? Btw, i love ron, met him a few times, and respected his change on position, just think he could have used another year and that he left for emotional reasons rather than rational.

Ish88888 said:
So is an extra year of college worth 50-70k resulting in a degree and a lifetime of salaries. Btw, there are long snappers now being drafted in the 6th round, guys that normally catch on as udfa's.

He can always come back and finish up his degree. I just don't get the judgement. "From where I sit, with 10% of the info, that dude made a mistake with his life"

At 830 pm eastern time tonight, do you guys think ron would pick coming back to su or trying to make a team as an udfa? Btw, i love ron, met him a few times, and respected his change on position, just think he could have used another year and that he left for emotional reasons rather than rational.
His choice. And, yes, I think he'd rather try making a team as an UDFA. I will not fault him, nor second-guess his decision.

He can always come back and finish up his degree. I just don't get the judgement. "From where I sit, with 10% of the info, that dude made a mistake with his life"
He has his degree I think.

His choice. And, yes, I think he'd rather try making a team as an UDFA. I will not fault him, nor second-guess his decision.

You have a son in the mix bcubs. Thus, i respect your insight and take on this situation. I am a huge fan of Steven and had a great time meeting him weeks back at the spring game. That said, if Steven was projected as a 5-7 rd pick after his junior year, wouldn't you want him to stay and get better while getting his degree? I get it about ron not coming from a great family situation. Go cuse my friend.

You have a son in the mix bcubs. Thus, i respect your insight and take on this situation. I am a huge fan of Steven and had a great time meeting him weeks back at the spring game. That said, if Steven was projected as a 5-7 rd pick after his junior year, wouldn't you want him to stay and get better while getting his degree? I get it about ron not coming from a great family situation. Go cuse my friend.
I'd prefer Steven to finish out his B.S.

Ish88888 said:

Ain't nobody but Ron can answer that question. And rightly so.

I would have to assume that going undrafted was not what Thompson had in mind when he declared for the draft.

It doesn't matter now. The bell is rung.

good god no. He might have a career in Canada but the NFL isn't in his future

Again, he must have thought it was or he wouldn't have left. Would another year here have helped? We'll never know.

SWC75 said:
I would have to assume that going undrafted was not what Thompson had in mind when he declared for the draft. It doesn't matter now. The bell is rung.

Made no difference.

SWC75 said:
Again, he must have thought it was or he wouldn't have left. Would another year here have helped? We'll never know.

Another year would have obviously helped. Everyone knows that.

But no matter, it's what he wanted and if he's happy with it, then good for him. I hope it works out.

say he makes 2 yrs of travel squad.. minus agent fees and taxes he nets 100K. he needs to eat/sleep/train/ live in Indy for now if makes it there. i doubt he puts much away after spending.

he comes back to syracuse and owes 50K. and is probably a net loss after 3 years money wise

now if he makes a team then its not a bad deal since he easily doubles or triples his take home can now pay for school if he is careful on his spending.

but if he doesnt like school then he probably wont like whatever job he was studying for either.

bcubs9497 said:
I'd prefer Steven to finish out his B.S.

Much respect for answering questions and giving your opinion not an easy thing to do, thanks again for always sharing with us. There is so much lifelong value in an SU degree, it has served my career very well.

I agree busting Rons chops as a few posters have is too far, we don't know his life, and he does have a degree which says a lot. I havent commented much in this but Speaking for myself as a fan its more what could have been remorse both for the team and for Ron.

I see a team looking for a dominant DE going into a season of Tampa 2, that relies on strong DL play. Also seeing that tampa 2 can be a springboard for great DL stats for sacks, pass breakups, tackles and TFL; because LBs play off the line a bit and don't dilute the backfield numbers as much. I wonder with the amount he would have been on the field this year if he could have pushed up to the 3-4th round with a great year and a few more team wins (attention).

I see a guy with talent and athleticism going as an UDFA, which is good money no doubt but its a steeper hill to climb and there seemed to be a kernel of something greater hidden in Rons play. If he can find it consostently and make a NFL squad, perfect. I want all our SU players to succed in the pros, whether Im puzzled with their decision or not, and I absolutely dont know their life or circumstances.

The hard part about the Pros is if you aren't the top guy you don't get the coaching focus and reps, sometimes making it harder to bring that talent to the surface and geg noticed than if you are DE #1 in college and the coach's season depends on your success.

My perspective. Best of luck Ron I hope you kill it in the League, make us proud and prove everybody wrong.

If you're a star who projects to get drafted I don't think anyone begrudges a kid leaving early.

The thing with Ron though was he went on record saying a large part was not wanting to play for a new staff. Loyalty is admirable but I'm concerned he may have let loyalty and eagerness to go pro get in the way of the best longterm decision for him.

Look I don't know his personal life and all that comes with it so I can't fully judge, but from the outside looking in it sure seems like he would have been better served to play 1 more year and continue to learn a relatively new position, get more film for scouts, and not compete with all the DE's who are a year older in the draft.

Great to hear he hooked on with Indy, now let's hope he can make it through cuts in camp

Well, if the purpose of college is to educate, and proof of education is a degree, and you have a degree, why not leave?
IF my son had to chose between pursuing his dream or a college degree, I would have chose the dream. He can always go to college, but athletics is for a finite time.

upperdeck said:
say he makes 2 yrs of travel squad.. minus agent fees and taxes he nets 100K. he needs to eat/sleep/train/ live in Indy for now if makes it there. i doubt he puts much away after spending. he comes back to syracuse and owes 50K. and is probably a net loss after 3 years money wise now if he makes a team then its not a bad deal since he easily doubles or triples his take home can now pay for school if he is careful on his spending. but if he doesnt like school then he probably wont like whatever job he was studying for either.

I hope he makes it. And if not I hope he can get a degree/job doing something he loves. Who cares if it's a net loss? Really not our business.

The end.

From the outside looking in, sounds like a decision that was made with his heart rather than his head. I wish him the best of luck but man, he would have had an opportunity to be completely showcased this coming season with the lack of veteran depth at DE. Barring injury, it could have been his defense.

Here is the scoop and its not pretty: Thompson is not exactly a front office favorite. First word on the eval form after his name; lazy. second; entitled. Not exactly positive character istics. Not exactly a Babers favorite either.
His play IMHO mirrored that. I was not a huge fan of his game. Seemed to always make a play early (1st or 2nd series) and then vanish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom