Room for improvement throwing the ball | Syracusefan.com

Room for improvement throwing the ball

upperdeck

Living Legend
Coach talks about all the time the things we need to get better at . We led 14-10 at the half , with a bad INT, and unforced fumble and a missed FG. Some of the hidden things that mean lost yds too. A review of just the first half throwing.

2 throwaways
a throw to Estime on the run thats a TD if thrown better
a slant to Ish thats a TD if throw better, but we scored after that
bad throws on both throws were he thought they were offsides. both times throwing into safety coverage, one ends up as a INT
several throws so high we had to leave our feet to make the catch.

of the 24 throws that were made to people, 10 were poorly thrown, usually high but mostly completed.
Dungey was pretty good on the short throws were he got set.
He threw late and off balance 4-5 times
He completed a couple nice balls on the run
He completely whiffed on a couple slants.

Hard to believe in a half we only scored twice that only 7 balls were not caught out of 24, 2 thrown away
one PI, that means 16-20 on throws to people and 2 of those were on penalties so didnt count. and still only 14 pts.

we got stopped on a drive where every ball was caught twice,

Penalties, sloppy ball control were the only reason we didnt go up and down the field the whole first half.

upload_2016-10-24_15-24-51.png

No matter how much we want him to Dungey will miss throws in every game. Every QB misses throws even Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady miss throws. It happens. Can't expect him to hit every throw.

there are throws you can miss. there are places you can miss throws.
when you throw a deep out, the miss should not be short inside, when you throw a slant the miss should low not high.
when you take a shot deep with a deep safety the miss cant be short where the help is coming from.

you should not be 50/50 on some throws. You can miss some throws into tight windows, but as the numbers showed were had very few small windows to throw into.

I mean, tough for me to talk about how many poorly thrown balls a kid had when he was 32-38 for 434 and 3 TD's on a windy and rainy late October afternoon.

I appreciate the time you took to put this together, but, all things considered I thought he played well above average.

No matter how much we want him to Dungey will miss throws in every game. Every QB misses throws even Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady miss throws. It happens. Can't expect him to hit every throw.
How dare you speak poorly of Tom Brady! He is perfect in every way. He doesn't miss throws, the receivers just fail to make the correct adjustments to catch them.

Coach talks about all the time the things we need to get better at . We led 14-10 at the half , with a bad INT, and unforced fumble and a missed FG. Some of the hidden things that mean lost yds too. A review of just the first half throwing.

2 throwaways
a throw to Estime on the run thats a TD if thrown better
a slant to Ish thats a TD if throw better, but we scored after that
bad throws on both throws were he thought they were offsides. both times throwing into safety coverage, one ends up as a INT
several throws so high we had to leave our feet to make the catch.

of the 24 throws that were made to people, 10 were poorly thrown, usually high but mostly completed.
Dungey was pretty good on the short throws were he got set.
He threw late and off balance 4-5 times
He completed a couple nice balls on the run
He completely whiffed on a couple slants.

Hard to believe in a half we only scored twice that only 7 balls were not caught out of 24, 2 thrown away
one PI, that means 16-20 on throws to people and 2 of those were on penalties so didnt count. and still only 14 pts.

we got stopped on a drive where every ball was caught twice,

Penalties, sloppy ball control were the only reason we didnt go up and down the field the whole first half.

View attachment 79863
Thanks for your effort on those high throws. ☺

Dungey completed 84% of his passes. Mostly in the rain. The best season completion % in CFB is 72%. Dungey is 20th. I watch QBs miss their targets badly every Saturday, much worse than what we saw at BC.

I'd be far more concerned about the O line penalties. There's a huge opportunity for improvement. I feel all those O line penalties might be worth 7 to 10 points.

I was just looking at why Dino says after almost every game he has a lot of room for improvement. Accuracy is one area, decision making is another.. he did a great job in the VT game of getting rid of the ball. Some games he takes sacks and Dino has commented on that. the announcers even commented in the BC game about his tendency to be sloppy with his footwork and it leading to poor throws.

Oline play is causing issues, but i think there were 5 times where bad throws led to be 1-2 yds short on passes for first downs, those add up too. Plays like the Phillips first TD. had that throw been high or behind him he likely doesnt score.. more consistency on those simple throws is what I would think we will see over the next year..

He is passing the ball much quicker than any system he would have expected to learn, that leads to having to be better at footwork

much like the last 2 throws to Etta, first one was not led enough with enough height, he got a second shot and made a better throw, it was caught and game over. sometimes we dont get that second shot.

"consistently good not occasionally great" you dont need to make all the great throws if you make more of the good throws. they all add up.

just like the RBs are missing holes and its not always the olines fault we cant run.

There is always room for improvement, that is why football is great, no one plays a perfect game.

I think about the BC QB and how much time they had compared to Dungey ... and how many completions for how much yardage they had. Dungey is great talent and seems to be improving despite a line that makes him run for it from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom