Rothenstein at Cuse practice | Syracusefan.com

Rothenstein at Cuse practice

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
Basically said he thinks 'Cuse will fall between 5 and 10 in the ACC... Says there will be a lot of 60-60 games with 4 mins to go. I personally think that's how the season will ultimately end up going. They could lose 12 games because they lack the experience to close out close games. Or they could surprise us with their poise, and have the trait of winning closely on their side and only lose 6-8 games.

This team will definitely be competitive, I just hope they have the ability to win close games with three players on the floor who have never really been in the game at that juncture. He also said that Tyler Roberson reminds him of Trevor Ariza.. LOL, Ariza knocked down like 200 3s last year and is actually one of the better three point shooters in the NBA. So, either Roberson really improved his jumper, or that's just Jon being Jon.

Looking forward to the Nov 2 scrimmage!
GO CUSE

it took Ariza a long time to develop into a 3 point shooter, though. In college he was about 25% from three.

Basically said he thinks 'Cuse will fall between 5 and 10 in the ACC... Says there will be a lot of 60-60 games with 4 mins to go. I personally think that's how the season will ultimately end up going. They could lose 12 games because they lack the experience to close out close games. Or they could surprise us with their poise, and have the trait of winning closely on their side and only lose 6-8 games.

This team will definitely be competitive, I just hope they have the ability to win close games with three players on the floor who have never really been in the game at that juncture. He also said that Tyler Roberson reminds him of Trevor Ariza.. LOL, Ariza knocked down like 200 3s last year and is actually one of the better three point shooters in the NBA. So, either Roberson really improved his jumper, or that's just Jon being Jon.

Looking forward to the Nov 2 scrimmage!
GO CUSE

When I attended hoops practice last year, I was VERY impressed with how Roberson shot the ball, his shooting form / mechanics, etc. We'll see how it translates into games [especially because he's such an inexperienced player, and they tend to shoot inconsistently], but I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into a very reliable perimeter shooter over the course of his career.

Last edited:
nobody can stop mac. this reminds me of 03.
I don't expect as much out of CMac as I did from Melo, but I still think he will often be the best player on the floor.

Quick comparo to 03:
CMac < Melo
TR < Hak
Cooney > Gmac
Roc > Forth
SilentG = Duany
KJ ?=? Edelin
McNeil > Chino, but DC ≥ McNeil if returns midseason?
Pace probably > BJ or Patterson, but if BJ shoots at 40%, then BJ ≥? Pace

Actual Rothstein tweets

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein · 22 hrs22 hours ago
There are LOTS of unproven commodities on Syracuse's roster. Plenty of talented pieces but not a ton who have proven they can get it done.

Syracuse returns only 37.5 percent of its scoring from last season. That's the lowest percentage Jim Boeheim has returned in 38 years.

Syracuse needs breakout seasons from three guys - Michael Gbinije, Tyler Roberson, + Rakeem Christmas. All three are pivotal for Orange.

Jim Boeheim told @CBSSports Tyler Roberson will play plenty of backup PF and Michael Gbinije to see time at PG, SG, and SF this season.

Tyler Roberson has a Trevor Ariza type feel to his game. Great in transition, off. glass. Should produce with more PT.
So much Trevor Ariza in Tyler Roberson...

Kaleb Joseph is a change of pace PG. Vastly different in mold than Tyler Ennis. More of an attacker than a set up guy. Has keys to the car.

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim to @CBSSports regarding DaJuan Coleman: "If he plays this year, it's a bonus". Story: http://cbsprt.co/10xn51.

Syracuse is somewhere among the teams that will finish beween 5 and 10 in the ACC. Will be in a lot of 60-60 games with 4 mins to play.

I don't expect as much out of CMac as I did from Melo, but I still think he will often be the best player on the floor.

Quick comparo to 03:
CMac < Melo
TR < Hak
Cooney > Gmac
Roc > Forth
SilentG = Duany
KJ ?=? Edelin
Waitttttt cooney> gmac??? I dunno. Gmac ran a lot of point that year too.

Quick comparo to 03:
CMac < Melo
TR < Hak
Cooney > Gmac
Roc > Forth
SilentG = Duany
KJ ?=? Edelin

It's more than a reach to say Trevor is better than a freshman Gerry.

it took Ariza a long time to develop into a 3 point shooter, though. In college he was about 25% from three.

He was the same in the NBA until two years ago when he suddenly became a 36% shooter.

Quick comparo to 03:
CMac < Melo
TR < Hak
Cooney > Gmac
Roc > Forth
SilentG = Duany
KJ ?=? Edelin

Interesting comparison--not sure that I agree that Gbinije is the equivalent of Duany--hope he has that good of a year and proves me wrong.

Jim Boeheim told @CBSSports Tyler Roberson will play plenty of backup PF and Michael Gbinije to see time at PG, SG, and SF this season.
I anticipate Silent but Deadly to get the start at SF (but swing between all three perimeter positions) and TR to be the sixth man, playing both forward positions. If Chino can't give anything, then CMac will be the default backup to Roc, and JB will use that versatility to go with a 6 man rotation in tight games

Interesting comparison--not sure that I agree that Gbinije is the equivalent of Duany--hope he has that good of a year and proves me wrong.
yeah, that was a tough one, but I gave the edge to Mike because he can play all three perimeter positions and not just two a la Q. If Silent G can shoot the three as well as Q did that year - about 35% - then we will be in very good shape.

yeah, that was a tough one, but I gave the edge to Mike because he can play all three perimeter positions and not just two a la Q. If Silent G can shoot the three as well as Q did that year - about 35% - then we will be in very good shape.

I'm hoping that Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, Joseph, BJ, and possibly Patterson are all in that solid ~35% range from three. If so, we're going to be in much better shape offensively than we were last season.

I don't think its a reach at all. Once you deconstruct the myth of McNamara (Mythnamara?), you see that Cooney's a better shooter and a better defender. you have to lean on "intangibles" to give the nod to GMac.

Cooney is a better defender but offensively GMac was a clutch player. Gerry was overrated as a pure shooter but not in the clutch. Trevor fell apart offensively after the Notre Dame game. He has a lot to prove.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, Joseph, BJ, and possibly Patterson are all in that solid ~35% range from three. If so, we're going to be in much better shape offensively than we were last season.

that would be huge, but I don't think I want CMac shooting very often from three and I'm not convinced BJ & Patterson are going to see meaningful minutes in conference play (unless BJ shoots lights out)

the 03 team had three shooters - GMac & Q at about 35% and Melo at about 33%

if we get the same 35 from G and 33 from TRob, then that should give Cooney the space to do even better than his 38% last year. Put that together with everything else this team has going for it, and we're looking at another very good year, IMO

Man, that'd be awesome but it's a lot to ask. I don't think we've ever had a team with five players who shot that well (only about 35 or 40 SU players have had a 35% year).

Quick comparo to 03:
CMac < Melo
TR < Hak
Cooney > Gmac
Roc > Forth
SilentG = Duany
KJ ?=? Edelin

Love the Cooney thing (though you'll send some people through the roof).

I don't see Gbinije as a capable 3, but maybe he'll surprise us. Until then, I think Duany's better (though Gbinije's got two years to improve).

Wouldn't shock me for Roberson to be a better player as a sophomore than Hakim was, though I don't expect him to match those numbers.

I'm afraid the backup center is worse this year regardless of who comes back from injury and when.

And, since it can't hurt to repeat the truth, Cooney's better as a junior than McNamara was as a freshman.

He also said that Tyler Roberson reminds him of Trevor Ariza.. LOL, Ariza knocked down like 200 3s last year and is actually one of the better three point shooters in the NBA.

This may be a good sign; TR is a classic "tweener" by NBA standards, hopefully this means he is showing small forward skills in practice. He can handle power forward in the ACC, but too small as a NBA 4. CMac and TR at the forward spots could be a Billy Owens/Dave Johnson esque forward tandem.

Quick comparo to 03:
CMac < Melo
TR < Hak
Cooney > Gmac
Roc > Forth
SilentG = Duany
KJ ?=? Edelin
If KJ is as good as Edelin, I'm psyched...I know you put queestion marks there as it is a lot of speculation at this point.

that would be huge, but I don't think I want CMac shooting very often from three and I'm not convinced BJ & Patterson are going to see meaningful minutes in conference play (unless BJ shoots lights out)

the 03 team had three shooters - GMac & Q at about 35% and Melo at about 33%

if we get the same 35 from G and 33 from TRob, then that should give Cooney the space to do even better than his 38% last year. Put that together with everything else this team has going for it, and we're looking at another very good year, IMO

I have a LOT of faith in BJ, despite the underdeveloped physique. He's our next big scoring 6th man, IMO.

I have a LOT of faith in BJ, despite the underdeveloped physique. He's our next big scoring 6th man, IMO.
I believe you & trust your judgement, but not sure if he isn't another year away . . . I think the bodies ahead of him push that way, unless he turns out to be the only other competent deep shooter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom