Rule makers planning to make NCAA men's basketball even more fan-friendly | Syracusefan.com

Rule makers planning to make NCAA men's basketball even more fan-friendly

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rule-m...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Among the rules being discussed.
Widening the lane.
An elimination of live-ball timeouts, or at least limiting those calls to players instead of coaches. This would be a move toward FIBA international rules, which allow no live-ball timeouts.
Revisiting the 10-second backcourt rule, which currently allows a bailout for the offensive team if it calls timeout before passing midcourt.
• Reducing the shot clock to either 30 or 24 seconds. Brey said he is in favor, and there seems to be fairly wide support for a reduction of some kind – although there also is a concern about college hoops becoming an NBA copycat league. (Interestingly, Byrd said his Belmont team occasionally uses a 12-second shot clock in practice to force tempo and enhance conditioning.)
An examination of the NBA's continuation rule, and whether it should be applied similarly in college. There was not much support in the meeting room for that idea.
No scoring on a charge. Baskets off a charge are waved off in every level of basketball except college

The one I bolded is the most important one. I hope the shot clock is reduced to 30 seconds.

My thoughts on some of these proposals:

I like the revisiting of the 10 second backcourt rule. A team should not get a new 10 seconds after a timeout. You're essentially handicapping good defense.
If they move the shot clock, I'd like it to go to 30 seconds. I think a 24 second clock could make for (even) uglier basketball.
Continuation is about the stupidest rule, and I definitely do not want to see that in college basketball.
No scoring on a charge makes sense to me. I'd be in favor of changing that.

You should probably get a new shot clock when you get possession on a jump ball (possession arrow). Currently, if you are already on offense and the possession arrow is in your favor, the clock doesn't reset. I always thought that wasn't fair. A very minor thing in the grand scheme of things. If I was in charge, I would place all pro-Syracuse rules into effect. I would eliminate the 3 point shot and go to a 30 second clock.

You should probably get a new shot clock when you get possession on a jump ball (possession arrow). Currently, if you are already on offense and the possession arrow is in your favor, the clock doesn't reset. I always thought that wasn't fair. A very minor thing in the grand scheme of things. If I was in charge, I would place all pro-Syracuse rules into effect. I would eliminate the 3 point shot and go to a 30 second clock.
I like the possession arrow call the way it is now. I don't think a defense should be penalized for tying the ball up. I'm all for a 30 second shot clock.

Shot clock should drop to 30. Like the idea that coaches can't call a live-ball timeout (and timeouts should be reduced by one anyway). Please don't complicate the block/charge any further or add the continuation rule. Should also go back to enforcing coaches staying on the sidelines- one warning and then after that it should be an ejection of the coach. That's a harsh view, but it will clean things up.

Disagree with Forde saying that college basketball was more aesthetically pleasing unless you only compare it to the last year or two. We just saw a title game with 114 total points- competitive yes, but far from where the game should be.

I want to see this change. Once you get the ball across the half-court line, at no point can you then go back over that line unless the ball is touched by the opponent. All inbounds plays that get tossed from out of bounds into the backcourt are backcourt violations.

I would give coaches 1 timeout a half MAYBE 2 tops. With TV timeouts every 4 minutes having 5 other timeouts is ridiculous. No coach should have 4 timeout for the 2nd half.

The game wasn't more aesthetically pleasing because teams still play stall ball. I agree coaching box needs to be enforced as well.

I would just eliminate the possession arrow and throw the ball up on jump balls.

- Please reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds (but not 24).
- The 10 second backcourt rule w/no reset for a timeout is great for pressing teams like Ville and VCU...and bad for others like SU.
But if they eliminate live ball TO's then the issue goes away anyway.
- Yes, get rid of live ball timeouts. Good bye to over coaching, tie up bailouts, and penalizing good defense.
- Yes to the continuation rule. The defense should never be rewarded for committing a foul which it currently is.

I would just eliminate the possession arrow and throw the ball up on jump balls.

That would make it worse and create more time filler. Possession arrow, and go on offense right away.

That would make it worse and create more time filler. Possession arrow, and go on offense right away.
It would take an extra minute to throw the ball up and that is going to create more time filler? If the reduced timeouts from 5 to 2 then it would balance out. Also, how many jump balls do we get a game 1-4? So we are going to add 4 minutes to a game that is nothing. The refs already go to the monitor a lot as is I doubt adding a jump ball would really length games.

I would give coaches 1 timeout a half MAYBE 2 tops. With TV timeouts every 4 minutes having 5 other timeouts is ridiculous. No coach should have 4 timeout for the 2nd half.

The game wasn't more aesthetically pleasing because teams still play stall ball. I agree coaching box needs to be enforced as well.

Seriously, there is the potential for as many as 18 timeouts in a single game. That is so ridiculous. Most coaches have a bunch of them left at the end of games, so any close game gets turned into a timeout fest at the end, which makes the viewing experience like watching paint dry.

My idea would still be to have 5 timeouts at the beginning of the game, but only one is full length as opposed to two, and there is a max of three in the second half, instead of the current four.

I really don't care what goddamn rules they institute as long as they make games shorter.

I'd stop every game at the two hour mark, with the exception of injury-time a la soccer, and overtime. The leader after two hours is simply declared the winner.

Similarly, with baseball I'd institute a pitch clock from the second the prior play ends (e.g. 20 seconds from when the pitcher obtains possession of the ball) and a 3 hour cap.

Golfers are the worst offenders of all and need to be held accountable.

In short, slow play is the scourge of almost every sport.

- Please reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds (but not 24).
- The 10 second backcourt rule w/no reset for a timeout is great for pressing teams like Ville and VCU...and bad for others like SU.
But if they eliminate live ball TO's then the issue goes away anyway.
- Yes, get rid of live ball timeouts. Good bye to over coaching, tie up bailouts, and penalizing good defense.
- Yes to the continuation rule. The defense should never be rewarded for committing a foul which it currently is.

I hate the continuation rule. Half the time the offensive player takes an extra step or two after the foul and that's never accounted for and the basket still counts. It will also lead to MUCH harder fouls to make 100% sure a guy doesn't score after he is fouled.

I hate the continuation rule. Half the time the offensive player takes an extra step or two after the foul and that's never accounted for and the basket still counts. It will also lead to MUCH harder fouls to make 100% sure a guy doesn't score after he is fouled.

Agreed.

And I love the concept of the basket not being awarded after a charge. Talk about a fence-sitting cop out to call the charge but count the basket.

Agreed.

And I love the concept of the basket not being awarded after a charge. Talk about a fence-sitting cop out to call the charge but count the basket.

I'm on the fence on that one. Some times the ball has left the hand and the charge doesn't affect the play (the made basket) at all. It's a judgment call and getting rid of more chances for a guy like Tony Greene to screw up isn't a bad thing.

Agreed.

If they don't allow baskets to be awarded after a charge then your avatar Hakim Warrick's teabag on Royal Ivey wouldn't have counted and would have been just an offensive foul. JB is one of the best coaches that argues for baskets on SU charges. The rule doesn't bother me because a lot of college defenders slide over and take charges.

I really don't care what goddamn rules they institute as long as they make games shorter.

I'd stop every game at the two hour mark, with the exception of injury-time a la soccer, and overtime. The leader after two hours is simply declared the winner.

Similarly, with baseball I'd institute a pitch clock from the second the prior play ends (e.g. 20 seconds from when the pitcher obtains possession of the ball) and a 3 hour cap.

Golfers are the worst offenders of all and need to be held accountable.

In short, slow play is the scourge of almost every sport.
i'm with you. i don't care about getting every call right. i care about getting this over with, moving on with my life, and getting less from my wife over watching so much sports

it doesn't help that my three year old thinks that everything you can watch on TV is a sports show (because 95% of what he sees is sports). he calls daniel tiger a sports show

i think jump balls should go to the defense

then you'll just have even more defenders playing basketball with their hands and not good position. The only way that works is if you actually call the fouls when every guard Pitino has ever recruited gets called for the reach when they grab a guys arm while he's holding the ball.

30-second shot clock

no need for 10 second rule to advance ball, but keep backcourt once advanced

3 timeouts -- use or lose 1 by halftime, lose the second one w/ 10 minutes to go

no timeouts by coaches (if I was a UConn fan I would still be livid w/ the live ball coach's timeout Syracuse got 3 or 4 years ago at the very end of the game and ultimately won)

starting at foul #13 in the half, offense gets their choice of the ball or 3 free throws

no fouls on defense when offensive player throws himself into the defense

change the elbow rule

no checking the video by refs

Reduce flopping by allowing the biggest guy on the flopee's team to punch the coach of the flopper's team anywhere on his body, below the waist, but above the thighs, in the front and kind of in the middle.

then you'll just have even more defenders playing basketball with their hands and not good position. The only way that works is if you actually call the fouls when every guard Pitino has ever recruited gets called for the reach when they grab a guys arm while he's holding the ball.
that's true. i'm sick and tired of refs calling for a jump ball so fast. i think it's because the signal is fun for them to make, similar to a charge. refs just like jabbing their thumbs in the air. jump ball and charge signals should be like this guy