Rule makers planning to make NCAA men's basketball even more fan-friendly | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rule makers planning to make NCAA men's basketball even more fan-friendly

that's true. i'm sick and tired of refs calling for a jump ball so fast. i think it's because the signal is fun for them to make, similar to a charge. refs just like jabbing their thumbs in the air. jump ball and charge signals should be like this guy

"Lead pipe sinker." Funny words to go along with the actions of that guy.

I seriously doubt you'll see a reduction in the number of timeouts. Time outs are the money makers. Of course CBS will still jam a promo for the Mentalist down your throat if a guy stops to tie his shoe...

Does anyone know the average amount of tie-ups per game?

I'd bet that there are around 10 in a typical game. Guys reach in and grab the ball all the time. A lot of those would have been called fouls in the past, back when the referees actually enforced the rules.

The worst thing about all this tinkering is that it unnecessarily complicates the game. We all know what a charge is and what a blocking foul is. Why the hell can't refs call it the way we grew up with?

I would give coaches 1 timeout a half MAYBE 2 tops. With TV timeouts every 4 minutes having 5 other timeouts is ridiculous. No coach should have 4 timeout for the 2nd half.

The game wasn't more aesthetically pleasing because teams still play stall ball. I agree coaching box needs to be enforced as well.

I would just eliminate the possession arrow and throw the ball up on jump balls.

Too many timeouts is exactly what has made soccer so enjoyable for me. 45 minutes of running time per half. No time outs (except stoppage of play for injured players, which then gets added on to the end of that half). No commercials, Tension rises as players tire. Mistakes and goals often happen at the very end of the half, or the end of the game, from fatigue. It's great drama when it's played by teams at the top level.

I seriously doubt you'll see a reduction in the number of timeouts. Time outs are the money makers. Of course CBS will still jam a promo for the Mentalist down your throat if a guy stops to tie his shoe...

I think you are 100% right with this.

i think jump balls should go to the defense
I think they tried that once but stopped it because often times the defense would grab a loose ball, a tie up would ensue and thus the team that lost the loose ball would get it back.

Someone made an interesting point- How is the reset of the 10 second rule different from the 5 second inbounding rule?

I like scoring on a charge if the ball is out of your hands. I don't feel a charge should be a offensive foul though just a turnover.

I also would like them to get rid of charges off a dish. If the ball is out of your hands no charge.

Does anyone know the average amount of tie-ups per game?
I don't know, but I'd like to see more loose ball fouls called on a lot of those plays. Right now, if the ball goes to the floor, you can basically do whatever you want to get your hands on the ball, including pushing people over, jumping onto a guy's head, sitting on him, etc. It didn't used to be that way. If you landed on top of a guy, you got called for a foul, regardless of a loose ball or not.

I'd bet that there are around 10 in a typical game. Guys reach in and grab the ball all the time. A lot of those would have been called fouls in the past, back when the referees actually enforced the rules.

The worst thing about all this tinkering is that it unnecessarily complicates the game. We all know what a charge is and what a blocking foul is. Why the hell can't refs call it the way we grew up with?

10 jump balls per game? I'd guess 2 on average.

Too many timeouts is exactly what has made soccer so enjoyable for me. 45 minutes of running time per half. No time outs (except stoppage of play for injured players, which then gets added on to the end of that half). No commercials, Tension rises as players tire. Mistakes and goals often happen at the very end of the half, or the end of the game, from fatigue. It's great drama when it's played by teams at the top level.

Same thing with hockey. I think there's only two stoppages per period, and they are usually pretty brief. Makes the game viewing experience so much more enjoyable.

Quick thoughts:

Love revisiting the 10 second rule. Not only removes the bailout TO that limits the impact of great pressure defense, but let's eliminate the hand count and allow the shot clock to dictate when the 10 seconds have expired.

No to continuation. That's all we need is one more highly subjective and inconsistently applied rule.

And let's add one: Public flogging for obvious flops.

soccer still kinda sucks but at least i have a chance of staying awake to see the merciful ending. i'm getting to the point where i don't care what i watch as long as its done in two hours.

You should probably get a new shot clock when you get possession on a jump ball (possession arrow). Currently, if you are already on offense and the possession arrow is in your favor, the clock doesn't reset. I always thought that wasn't fair. A very minor thing in the grand scheme of things. If I was in charge, I would place all pro-Syracuse rules into effect. I would eliminate the 3 point shot and go to a 30 second clock.
Why stop there?
How about only Syracuse baskets count?

Got to do something about the ridiculous elbow rule.

Might not have to be a rule change, though - could just call the hand-check on the defender that inevitably precedes the space-clearing elbow.

Kind of calls this whole exercise into question, though. What's the point of changing the rules when the idiot refs don't follow the rules?

I would give coaches 1 timeout a half MAYBE 2 tops. With TV timeouts every 4 minutes having 5 other timeouts is ridiculous. No coach should have 4 timeout for the 2nd half.

The game wasn't more aesthetically pleasing because teams still play stall ball. I agree coaching box needs to be enforced as well.

I would just eliminate the possession arrow and throw the ball up on jump balls.
Would it be the same rules for untelevised games?

30 second shot clock makes too much sense. Hasn't college hoops been watered down and slowed down enough? Pick up the pace a bit.

I'd eliminate all charges and blocks, while also giving kids a 6th foul to work with. Shot blockers would become even more important and kids wouldn't be rewarded for basically getting in the way. I know this will never happen, but it would probably open up the game more.

As for the backcourt 10 seconds, why not reset it to 5 seconds if a team calls a timeout or the ball is tapped out of bounds? If a team plays good defense for 9 seconds, but then the opponent calls a timeout, it shouldn't be reset to 10 seconds to get the ball over. While I don't think a team should have to get the ball over before 25 left on the shot clock (especially if they were forced to waste a timeout), no matter what, getting rid of the extra 10 seconds could help. Give them only 5 to get it over after a timeout or out of bounds in the back court, just like to get it in bounds.

And continue trying to get rid of hand checking and the clutch and grab defense. Despite an emphasis on this before, we still saw WAAAAAAAY too much unnecessary contact on ball handlers.

Got to do something about the ridiculous elbow rule.

Might not have to be a rule change, though - could just call the hand-check on the defender that inevitably precedes the space-clearing elbow.

Kind of calls this whole exercise into question, though. What's the point of changing the rules when the idiot refs don't follow the rules?
Yeah, the elbow rule is ridiculous. Barely grazing a kid's nose and getting a flagrant is just wrong, especially when the defender is all over the guy who gets called for the elbow. If a kid wild swings an elbow or actually really drills someone in the face, fine, he deserves a flagrant, but if the kid is getting dryhumped and barely touches another dude's face, then it shouldn't be anything. Way too much flopping on these plays with barely any contact.

Yeah, the elbow rule is ridiculous. Barely grazing a kid's nose and getting a flagrant is just wrong, especially when the defender is all over the guy who gets called for the elbow. If a kid wild swings an elbow or actually really drills someone in the face, fine, he deserves a flagrant, but if the kid is getting dryhumped and barely touches another dude's face, then it shouldn't be anything. Way too much flopping on these plays with barely any contact.

The NCAA screwed the pooch on the elbow rule and I don't think there's any going back on it. It's relatively easy to impose a change that actually makes, or give the appearance of making, a sport safer. It's incredibly difficult to take away a rule like this after the fact. Were concussions an issue in basketball before the rule? Not really. They will, however, be viewed as an issue if the the rule is taken off the books and even one player gets knocked out.

As with most rules, intent should be considered to a degree. The current rule ignores this and that is the NCAA's biggest mistake here.

10 jump balls per game? I'd guess 2 on average.

Tie ups. They only do jump balls at the beginning of each half. Or are you just trolling us?

soccer still kinda sucks but at least i have a chance of staying awake to see the merciful ending. i'm getting to the point where i don't care what i watch as long as its done in two hours.

Soccer and college hoops are your only 2 choices, but college hoops games keep getting longer from all the fouls and timeouts.

Tie ups. They only do jump balls at the beginning of each half. Or are you just trolling us?

No, I'm using the terms jump ball and alternate possession interchangeably. I think the number is closer to 2 than 10. And they only do 1 jump ball if the game doesn't go to OT.

All non- televised games instead of taking TV timeouts take media timeouts. Every game stops after every 4 minute interval regardless of TV nowadays.

Time that can be shaved off of the game with no virtually no competitive consequences.*

1. Move from 4 TV timeouts per half to 3 (Under 15, under 10, under 5) - Saves 5 minutes per game
2. Length of timeouts begin from the sound of the horn. As opposed to the wasted 30 seconds coming in and out of every TO - Saves 5 minutes
3. Any review (elbow, determining possession on OOB play, clock malfunctions) is allocated 60 seconds from the time the refs reach the scorers table. After that, the initial call stands. Players must remain on the court at all times. - Saves 2-5 minutes on average
4. If a player fouls out, eliminate the 60 seconds for a substitution, and players on the court must remain on the court. - Saves 1-2 minutes
5. Teams can call no more than 2 timeouts in the final minute of play. - Saves 0 - 2 minutes

Total savings: Approximately 13-19 minutes per game.

*If everyone wasn't so greedy (media, NCAA, member institutions, corporate "champions")

Time that can be shaved off of the game with no virtually no competitive consequences.*

1. Move from 4 TV timeouts per half to 3 (Under 15, under 10, under 5) - Saves 5 minutes per game
2. Length of timeouts begin from the sound of the horn. As opposed to the wasted 30 seconds coming in and out of every TO - Saves 5 minutes
3. Any review (elbow, determining possession on OOB play, clock malfunctions) is allocated 60 seconds from the time the refs reach the scorers table. After that, the initial call stands. Players must remain on the court at all times. - Saves 2-5 minutes on average
4. If a player fouls out, eliminate the 60 seconds for a substitution, and players on the court must remain on the court. - Saves 1-2 minutes
5. Teams can call no more than 2 timeouts in the final minute of play. - Saves 0 - 2 minutes

Total savings: Approximately 13-19 minutes per game.

*If everyone wasn't so greedy (media, NCAA, member institutions, corporate "champions")
Just eliminating the available timeouts to each 3 per team and only 2 can be saved to the 2nd half would eliminate that end of game crap. I think 4 TV/media timeouts are fine because the game is only 40 minutes long and not 48 minutes like the NBA.
The games really run long if their are a ton of fouls called at the end of games, teams taking all their timeouts. I don't have a problem with a 2:15 game. Restricting the review to 1 minute would be fine as I don't think unless its indisputable in the first replay or two any call should be overturned.