Rumor mill | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Cusester

Starter
Probably nothing, but there is a rumor going around that an announcement is coming pertaining to the dome renovation. Supposedly all home games next year will be played at the Ralph while a retractable roof is added to the dome. An open roof would have been a blessing Friday night.

That would be beyond amazing what about Basketball.

games at the ralph next year will be embarrassingly empty. we may be better off scheduling 12 away games

Consider me a skeptic (no offense to the OP). A retractable roof makes zero sense unless it costs the same as a fixed steel roof and can be completed in the same amount of time.

Playing in Buffalo makes even less sense and sounds utterly farfetched. I don't buy that any renovation would take the Dome out of commission for an entire season, but if it did I imagine we'd be playing games either elsewhere in CNY or most likely down at MetLife or Yankee Stadium.

So, yeah, I think this rumor as stated is poppycock.

I'd take that trade off (empty stadium in Buffalo) for a retractable roof any day of the week.

its just a rumor... the retractable roof was the most far fetched of the options by a long shot. I highly doubt a few of the more seasoned posters on here wouldn't have heard anything about it yet - and seeing OrangeXtreme's sarcastic reply, I am holding back getting too excited about this just yet.

games at the ralph next year will be embarrassingly empty. we may be better off scheduling 12 away games
probably right as the stadium is big. if we do better than expected this year it may help attendance. scheduling all away games is silly imho, UNLESS THE PAYDAY FOR THAT IS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT. DIDN'T WE PLAY 1-2 GAMES AT CORNELL WHEN THE DOME WAS BEING BUILT???FRANKLIN FIELD MAYBE.sorry about the caps did not mean that

Last edited:
It's been stated in the past that the Dome does not have the infrastructure to support a fixed roof or for that mater a retractable roof with all the additional mechanics.

its just a rumor... the retractable roof was the most far fetched of the options by a long shot. I highly doubt a few of the more seasoned posters on here wouldn't have heard anything about it yet - and seeing OrangeXtreme's sarcastic reply, I am holding back getting too excited about this just yet.
Oh I know. I don't expect this to happen , but would be glad to be inconvenienced by something that would be huge, especially for recruiting purposes.

It's been stated in the past that the Dome does not have the infrastructure to support a fixed roof or for that mater a retractable roof with all the additional mechanics.
The weight of a retractable roof is much less with the new materials than it has been in the past. I still doubt we see this but i wouldnt be shocked

If this were true I would not expect all games in Buffalo. I would expect to split the games between Wilson, Metlife, and maybe elsewhere. Basketball would probably use the Crunch stadium for non-conference games and split the rest elsewhere.

I would love a retractable roof but unless the government is helping fund this its a waste of money.

A retractable roof makes no sense. The Dome floor has no drainage. At the slightest drizzle, you'll have puddles.

They'd never finish construction in only 5 months. They can replace the Teflon in 4 months, but not a completely new roof. Which means the basketball team would have to be relocated for at least 1 season.

I can't see JB playing one of his last two seasons on the road, and I can't see Hop being forced to play one of his first two seasons without a home court advantage.

Maybe we'll get a permanent hardshell roof, but it would have to be YEARS away.

Just file this away with all the other rumors for now.

I've said it before. I believe you will see a fixed roof of EFTE material similar to the new Vikings stadium, which requires a much lighter structure to support it, even with snow load.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/New-Vikings-Stadium-QA-The-Clear-Roof/dff31d45-bc82-41ec-
b768-2ef03827bbe7

http://www.startribune.com/no-6-new-vikings-stadium-big-bold-and-glassy/207314401/

Stadium-interior.jpg

Last edited:
Probably nothing, but there is a rumor going around that an announcement is coming pertaining to the dome renovation. Supposedly all home games next year will be played at the Ralph while a retractable roof is added to the dome. An open roof would have been a blessing Friday night.
Totally skeptical. Completely unnecessary given the way the weather changes in Syracuse toward mid-October. Big price tag for no value. I'm willing to bet this is nonsense.

I've said it before. I believe you will see a fixed roof of EFTE material similar to the new Vikings stadium, which requires a much lighter structure to support it, even with snow load.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article...ear-Roof/dff31d45-bc82-41ec-b768-2ef03827bbe7

Stadium-interior.jpg
I do not believe, even a lighter structure(ETFE) could be supported by the current exterior wall construction. Current walls were not constructed to bear compressive loading.
That means that even for this type of roof a complete exterior support system would need to be constructed external to current walls, increasing cost and footprint of the project. This would of course be possible but has its own negatives. Nothing easy about this idea.

I don't buy it. And, yes, we played 1 or 2 "home" games at Schollkopf Field during the '79 season. I went to at least one game at Cornell, as well as one at Rich Stadium.

I like that effete material in Minneapolis too.

It's not a rumor and just maybe all you negative guys should get on board and support the university cause they know what they are doing. Did we need a dome in 1980, no but look what that has done for the university. You are going to see a flat roof that retracts a new concourse with shops around the perimeter. Also your going to see state of the art led lighting. I don't really care if you guys think it's a rumor cause it's not. Go big or go home should always be university's moto

Simple question to ask who would be putting up the capital for this renovation? If SU isn't getting public assistance we can't waste money and would probably just replace the roof. If we are getting some public funding then the Vikings type stadium could work.
Any project beyond a new roof is probably over 100 million dollars most likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom