Running back rotation | Syracusefan.com

Running back rotation

Dmcnabbrules

All Conference
The running back rotation was a topic on the local sports shows today. The new guy in the morning wants it down to two or three guys. Chris and Steve said they understood that the 30 carry days were over, but wanted to see someone step up. Gedney likes all five guys playing, but he is a company man now. What do people here think about the running backs. Personally I don't want to see more then three play. I thing running backs need a chance to find a rhythm.

I think we can play 5 ... (some as receivers), but the lion's share of the run snaps should go to the 2-3 most productive players. That would probably mean PTG, AAM and the hot hand among the younger guys - McFarlane/GM3/Phillips. Pretty hard to keep Phillips off the field the way he was exploding against CMU. In fact, I agree with the CMU announcer ... who noted that Phillips and AAM represented a sweet combination of power and speed.

I'd give carries in the following order:
1 PTG
2 GM 2
3 Erv

AAM in short yd situation
DMC is odd man out

I kinda like having the quicker backs have more carries earlier in the game and then pound away with AAM late in the game. Or visa versa. AAM is the only really back that we can pound away with and I think he should be used in that role to either wear down the D, or when the D is already worn down chasing the quicker backs like GMII/Erv/etc.

I kinda like having the quicker backs have more carries earlier in the game and then pound away with AAM late in the game. Or visa versa. AAM is the only really back that we can pound away with and I think he should be used in that role to either wear down the D, or when the D is already worn down chasing the quicker backs like GMII/Erv/etc.
I definitely find this approach favorable. Utilize the speed at the beginning and then run away with the power game at the end. I think Erv will mainly see time on the return team and special situations. have to remember that he's a freshman and might no pass block well enough to see a lot of time. PTG is your do t all. AAM should be used in the second half, strictly. GMII an DMC are the in between fresh legs.

AAM helped to set the tone for the day. The O-line really needed a redemption from the previous week. Him moving the pile really helped early on.

Gulley is the least talented of all the RBs. I think you will see less and less of him as the season goes on and more and more of Phillips.

1. Philips (Until he proves otherwise)
2. McFarlane
3. Ameen-Moore
4. George Morris (Until he proves otherwise)
5. Gulley

Ideally Morris is starting since I think he's the most talented but things haven't panned out thus far.

Gulley is the least talented of all the RBs. I think you will see less and less of him as the season goes on and more and more of Phillips.
I agree. I just hope HCSS isn't like a bball coach that shall go unnamed. ;)

Don't want to come off to critical but Gulley is just another guy in my opinion. Good secondary runner, but not your lead horse. I would agree with anglerman, and I too believe he is the least talented RB on the depth chart. Doesn't mean he is a bad player, I just believe the other players bring more to the table then he does.

Moore needs to start. We need his strong downhill running. We have WRs for the horizontal game.

Gulley is a 5.5 ypc guy for his career and 6th all time for receptions by a RB. He's also a pinstripe bowl MVP. He's not chopped liver and will get his carries as the #1 back.

Go 3WR, 2RB at least once per series.

I don't like 5 RBs seeing the field. I don't even like seeing 4. But if we didn't go to a 5th last week, we wouldn't have seen what Phillips can do.

I guess it's a good problem to have, I just hope it doesn't negatively impact someone getting into a rhythm.

Yeah, the weakness of the offense is Gully. His carries are what's holding the offense back from greatness.

:bang:

Why does it seem like many only remember what happened in the last game. Gulley has been very productive over the years and has a ton of experience. No reason he doesn't get a good amount of carries. I like Adonis to get carries as he brings something different to the table to mix in and is pretty talented. Changing from fast to powerful through out the game can be tough on a D. I think those two get slightly more carries than the others.

Seems to me a majority of people say Morris is the most talented but I don't see it. His production on the field hasn't shown that. I think he's good but his production surely doesn't warrant any more play. McFarlane has a very versatile skill set with his ability to be a receiver and I like him out there. He's had pretty good production. Phillips looks to be very explosive and proves he deserves some run. But I still question how effective he would be if used more. How well can he block being that light...and if not well does the other team know we are running every time he is in there? He is too skinny right now to get too many carriers. Much more likely to get injured if he does.

I don't buy into the idea that RB's needs to get a bulk of the carries to be more effective. We are lucky to have numerous options. I see no reason why we can't play all of them in doses and see who makes the most sense in the matchup and ride whats working.

If we can legitimately go 5 deep at running back, we should go 5 deep at running back.

I see people are getting easily seduced by the prospect of having a bigger back. I'm glad AAM had a nice game last time out, but rushing for 100 against CMU doesn't eclipse all that Gulley has accomplished, and I'm not even certain that it accomplishes how much we saw from Morris and MacFarlane last season.

If you want to pound away at a defense, keeping 5 pairs of fresh legs running away from a defense is a great way to do it. Why limit something we don't have to?

Not every carry a RB makes results in good production. Maybe another RB makes sense to what the game situation is or to what the D is throwing at you. Seems to me a RB isn't doing well you try something else which results in people saying he didn't get the carries. And conversely if a RB is doing well you keep feeding him the rock as you don't fix what aint broke. I feel like these situations lead people to think a RB needs to get into a rhythm.

Gulley is a 5.5 ypc guy for his career and 6th all time for receptions by a RB. He's also a pinstripe bowl MVP. He's not chopped liver and will get his carries as the #1 back.

I don't think he is chopped liver, I just believe their is more talent at the position. We are very deep at RB and I'm not taking anything away from his career, he has been a very productive player for us. But there are times where he goes east and west too much and doesn't just put his head down for that 1 yard we need. I feel like there are always two instances a game or more where Gulley doesn't get that 1 extra yard we need because he goes east and west. Just an opinion obviously, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think he is chopped liver. I just don't believe he is our true #1 player at the position, someone who we need to feed the ball and I believe each RB brings something more to the table. He may very well be our most complete back, but does not excel at any one thing over another player.

Some backs are just more effective vs certain defenses than others. Case in point last year vs BC. The SU D stuffed their 1800 yard guy and a new smaller rb came in and gave the D fits. Reverse that when thinking the Orange backs. AAM may be the battering ram we need at times or some speed guy to hit the outside or someone who can read and run traps the best. I don't necessarily think it's the hot hand but a RB's strength vs the D's weakness our how well the O-line is blocking and what scheme is effective.

I think it sorts itself out playing 5 right now. I expect fumbles, missed assignments and injuries will narrow the field as we go forward. Ball security has been very good so far. Hope we are good and not lucky. My impression is older, stronger, experienced running back tend to make fewer mistakes carrying the rock. I did a quick sample of games on Sunday, I believe every team that won the turnover battle, won their game. It is a very strong statistic in college football as well.

Yeah, the weakness of the offense is Gully. His carries are what's holding the offense back from greatness.

:bang:

Don't be so extreme - nowhere in his post did anglerman say that. Why does EVERYONE on a message board have to go to extremes whenever they try to provide an opposing view? It ALWAYS happens. Sheesh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom