Running Backs | Syracusefan.com

Running Backs

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
We keep hearing that we have the best set of running backs that we've had in a long time. I think they're solid, but I don't see all the hype. Yes, PTG went 65 yards for a TD, but I don't see anyone who can get outside and turn the corner. We keep hearing how great Morris is and he can't get on the field. Granted, the offensive line was horrible on Friday, but they are lacking something. They don't have the "it" that great backs have. I don't think any of them even caught a pass in the Villanova game. Maybe it's the play calling and not them. I'm interested in seeing how they develop over the next couple of games. My biggest concern is who do we want to be? Do we want to be a power running team or a dink and run team? We never established a running game the other night, so play action was not an option. When we think back to Nassib's senior year, we ran the ball to set up the pass, especially play action. McDonald needs to decide who we want to be. I didn't see any plan against Villanova.

We keep hearing that we have the best set of running backs that we've had in a long time. I think they're solid, but I don't see all the hype. Yes, PTG went 65 yards for a TD, but I don't see anyone who can get outside and turn the corner. We keep hearing how great Morris is and he can't get on the field. Granted, the offensive line was horrible on Friday, but they are lacking something. They don't have the "it" that great backs have. I don't think any of them even caught a pass in the Villanova game. Maybe it's the play calling and not them. I'm interested in seeing how they develop over the next couple of games. My biggest concern is who do we want to be? Do we want to be a power running team or a dink and run team? We never established a running game the other night, so play action was not an option. When we think back to Nassib's senior year, we ran the ball to set up the pass, especially play action. McDonald needs to decide who we want to be. I didn't see any plan against Villanova.

Hard to get any information with that performance. Give it a few games. The best running back will do squat if the guys up front aren't getting a push

Is it "who we want to be" or finding out who can do what? Other than AAM the RBs aren't built to run between the tackles. The OGs are not built to lead sweeps. McDonald needs to use what he has.

In fairness, part of the plan left the building after the first quarter.

Agree with everyone who says, way too early to tell anything after one game. That goes for coaching and personell. They ran the hell out of screens to the rb all spring and fall camp, I didn't see one ran the other night. And there could be a reason for that who knows? One thing I haven't seen mentioned and happened frequently Friday, the qb's (yes both of them) checked out of run plays to pass plays. Now, could they have had reason to do it? Maybe, but it happened plenty. Maybe they saw the oline wasn't getting push or opening holes enough? We'll know so much more after CMU..

I know this is a dark horse but i believe Mcfarland is our best bet as an all purpose back. He seems to be a one cut guy that can run outside inside and i hope catch the ball. Morris had great hope but something is not clicking with him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom