Class of 2016 - S Amir Tyler (NJ) Verbal to Temple | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S Amir Tyler (NJ) Verbal to Temple

Amir Tyler scores 29 points, leads Lakewood to win

Sherlon Christie, @sherlonapp 12:57 p.m. EST January 22, 2015
Lakewood got off to a 20-10 lead in the first quarter and never looked back in its dominant victory over Manchester to seize control of first place in the Class B South division on Tuesday night.

LAKEWOOD – While discussing the performance of junior guard Amir Tyler, Lakewood coach Randy Holmes made a joke about shedding "football rust" now that the Piners are a month into the 2014-2015 basketball season.

It was a great one-liner from Holmes but there was nothing funny about the way Tyler attacked the Manchester defense on Tuesday night.

Tyler had a game-high 29 points and led No. 5 Lakewood to a commanding, 76-43, Class B South victory to give the Piners sole possession of first place in the Class B South division.

"We wanted to be the hunters tonight instead of us being hunted," Tyler said. "So, we just came out with an aggressiveness and did what we had to do."

Tyler was quick, he was aggressive and brought stability to the Lakewood offense on Tuesday night. Simply put, Tyler was unstoppable as he amassed 15 of his game-high 29 points in the first half for the Piners (10-1, 7-0).

"I think football is finally off of Amir. He's a big-time football player. And he just knocked off the last part of that football rust," Holmes said. "We just settled him down and had him pick his spots in the course of the game and (we) didn't let his emotions get too high or too low."

Tyler was in attack mode from the opening whistle.

Lakewood quickly had a 7-0 run to start the game that turned into a 15-1 lead which morphed into a 20-10 advantage after one quarter. Tyler had seven of his points in the first quarter while junior guard Tyreek Grayson added 10 of his 15 points in the first quarter.

"In the summer, coach Holmes told me that I was moving to the point guard role," Grayson said. "He told me that I have to distribute, attack the basket and when I have the open shot to just shoot the ball. I'm just doing whatever he tells me to do and it is working out right now."

"Manchester wasn't aggressive in their man-to-man defense," Holmes said. "So, we tried to spread the floor and took our driving lanes. We were making layups and easy shots."

And it wasn't just Tyler or Grayson igniting the Lakewood offense. It was also senior guard Ryan Lawrence as he had nine of his 15 points in the second half as Lakewood's lead went from 41-16 at halftime to 55-31 after three quarters.

"They (Manchester) are a good team. And you know what, in our conference we have the best team to match Manchester," Holmes said. "Our guys are tough physically and mentally."

Meanwhile, Manchester sophomore guard Shavar Reynolds carried the Hawks' offense and he scored 13 of his team-high 17 points in the second half. He had six points in the third quarter and seven in the fourth quarter for the Hawks (7-3, 6-1). Junior forward Israel Almestica added six of his 10 points in the third quarter and junior guard Jordan Torney supplied five of his nine points in the first quarter.

The loss was Manchester's worst of the season and halted the Hawks' five-game winning streak. Manchester's next game is Thursday night at Barnegat. Meanwhile, Lakewood extended its winning streak to three games and the Piners next game is Thursday night at home against Pinelands.

So it looks like he plays BB and also runs track.

Boys Basketball Q & A: Lakewood's Amir Tyler
Sherlon Christie, @sherlonapp 4 p.m. EST January 22, 2015
Amir Tyler plays football and basketball for Lakewood High School and is a tri-captain on the school's boys basketball team. He recently had 29 points in a 76-43 victory over Manchester on Jan. 20.

Lakewood junior guard Amir Tyler has earned his high school accolades, thus far, on the football field as he was selected as a third team utility player on the 2014 Asbury Park Press All-Shore football team. But that has changed during the 2014-2015 school year as Tyler has emerged as one of Lakewood's leaders on the basketball court. The No. 5 Piners (10-1, 7-0 in Class B South through Wednesday, Jan. 21) recently displayed their dominance over the Class B South division with a recent, 76-43, victory over Manchester on Jan. 20 as Tyler had 15 of his game-high 29 points in the first half. The Piners, the defending Class B South champions, won the 2013 boys basketball Shore Conference Tournament title and with Tyler being a huge contributor this season, they are on the list of contenders for this year's SCT title, which will be decided on Friday, Feb. 27. Tyler talks about his season in this week's Q & A.

Q: Would you say you were especially aggressive in the way you played against Manchester on Tuesday night?

A: I came out and shot the first three-pointer. It didn't fall how I wanted it to, it bounced in. So, my coach told me to drive (to the basket). He said if you take another three-pointer, you are coming out of the game. So, I didn't want to come out of the game, so I kept driving to get my points.

RELATED: Amir Tyler scores 29 points, leads Lakewood to win over Manchester

Q: Coach Randy Holmes said in his postgame comments that the football rust was starting to wear off, do you agree with that statement?

A: There was a little rust on there. My knees were hurting so I really couldn't do that much. I iced my knees on Monday night because I knew Tuesday night was a big game. And then I came out to play on Tuesday night.

Q: Traditionally, Lakewood has been good about bouncing back from tough losses, how would you characterize your team's response to the first loss of the season, which came against Neptune on Jan. 10?

A: In the Neptune game that we lost, they (Neptune) came out stronger than we did. We came out nonchalant and acted like we weren't ready to play. But on Tuesday, coach Holmes told us this game meant a lot. Everyone had their thinking caps on and were focused on Tuesday night.

RELATED: Lakewood loses to Neptune at Boardwalk Hoop Group Showcase on Jan. 10

Q: What positions do you play in football and how does football affect how you play basketball?

A: For football, I play running back and strong safety. I'm a better football player but basketball is a fun sport for me to play and get my conditioning up for football season.

Q: What role does coach Randy Holmes want you to play on the Lakewood basketball team this year?

A: He wants me to be a leader and be vocal on the basketball court and tell everyone where they have to be. He's put the team on my back.

RELATED: Asbury Park Press boys basketball top 10 for Jan. 19

Q: You're a tri-captain on the basketball team, who are the other captains and what does that title mean to you?

A: The captains are me, (senior guard) Ryan Lawrence and junior guard/forward) Sean Barksdale. It is pretty easy on our team because we have a policy that says if you want to get respect, you have to give respect. The other players listen to us and know that we are a basketball family. We practice together and we eat together. That's how we bond.

Q: For college, what are the football coaches looking at you to play.

A: I'm six-feet and 195 pounds and Temple University is looking at me to play strong safety and the University of Pittsburgh is looking at me to play running back.

RELATED: Asbury Park Press boys basketball stats for Jan. 14

Q: How do you turn off the football mentality and turn on the basketball mentality now that we are in the winter season?

A: I don't really turn it off. I just calm it down a little bit. Because in football, you can be as aggressive as you want. In basketball, you have to calm it down and play a little smoother.

When he visits, he'll be on commitment watch, we'll have a good shot.

I wonder if he plays against Sadiq. Lakewood isn't that far from Red Bank. Great little Low A baseball park (Phillies) there as well.

Thursday.
Yeah just saw that! I think we have a very good chance. I also noticed Solomon Manning is visiting, I forget when but he should be put on Commitment watch as well. Shaping up to be a very solid week.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is the next boom today or tomorrow

So, correct me if I'm understanding this wrong, but we're recruiting him as a safety despite being the #29 rated rb? If true, sounds like he's a all around stud athlete.

So, correct me if I'm understanding this wrong, but we're recruiting him as a safety despite being the #29 rated rb? If true, sounds like he's a all around stud athlete.
We're recruiting him as an "athlete" who will probably first get a shot at the "hybrid" (h-back/Erv Philips) position.

We're recruiting him as an "athlete" who will probably first get a shot at the "hybrid" (h-back/Erv Philips) position.
I thought that slot was for Neal or Bryant?

I don't think we are taking only one.
Sorry let me rephrase

I thought that was for Bryant and Neal.

Would we really take Tyler over one/both of those guys and Thompson?

I like him. Very good overall player who can play either SS, LB, RB or WR in college. Hope he does well at Temple.