Class of 2016 - S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI

Clarke is back on Twitter, he is retweeting congratulatory tweets and he still has not deleted anything. Including the "Syracuse commit" line on his profile page. Maybe this kid is in the mafia, he is making Shafer an offer that he can't refuse!

Bizarre...:eat popcorn:

That is true. I just assume that he's not lying, but there's always that possibility.

I'm not necessarily saying that he is lying but sometimes it is very hard to let go of a dream.

Why? Not our business.
I'm just assuming that CL wishes that because you only ever hear one side of the story, since coaches are not allowed to ever talk about recruits, so it's the coaches who are invariably made to look like villains when the reality is there's generally more to the story than we ever hear.

I agree. But honestly neither you nor I know what was actually said to Ginnetti. I wish the NCAA would let the coaches be more open about these things.
Slippery slope though. I actually like the rule because situations like these could easily turn into a back and forth in the media which does absolutely nothing but reflect poorly on both parties. Shafer has a strong chin. He'll move on.

The commutable/non committal stuff is garbage. You either have an offer or you don't. If you can't commit ten you don't have an offer. And some wonder why I always say the offer lists are garbage.
Each team has over 50 offers. Do you think they can accept all of them?

money3189 said:
Each team has over 50 offers. Do you think they can accept all of them?

No they can't. So when you accept the number at a position you need, you tell the others that their offer has been pulled. You want 2 qbs and offer 5. You get the 2 then you tell the other 3 sorry and withdraw the offers.

No they can't. So when you accept the number at a position you need, you tell the others that their offer has been pulled. You want 2 qbs and offer 5. You get the 2 then you tell the other 3 sorry and withdraw the offers.
But if you offer 5 you have a pecking order/priority list so what happens when #5 on your list wants to commit but you still want #1 and #2 on your list?

Well that's sure how I thought it worked all this time, but apparently that ain't so. Has it always been not so or have things changed in the past few years?

Have to keep recruiting kids. You dont know when a kid may flip, the staff could be trying to flip another commited player, they could be waiting for grades, lots of things that can influence their approach. Im sure at some point he was told where he's at in the pecking order. There are games played on both sides. You have to do what it takes even though the staff may not like doing it.

Libero2 said:
But if you offer 5 you have a pecking order/priority list so what happens when #5 on your list wants to commit but you still want #1 and #2 on your list?

Then don't offer #5. You tell him that you like him but you have others you like more. If the opportunity presents itself you'll get back to him and discuss an offer.

Exactly. Its not good to settle for the 3rd or 4th guy on our board when we have a chance to get 1 or 2. Its a game. You have to play your cards right to get the best guys you can get.

Last edited:
money3189 said:
Have to keep recruiting kids. You dont know when a kid may flip, the staff could be trying to flip another commited player, they could be waiting for grades, lots of things that can influence their approach. Im sure at some point he was told where he's at in the pecking order. There are games played on both sides. You have to do what it takes even though the staff may not like doing it.

Didn't say you don't keep recruiting a kid or flipping kids. But you either offer or you don't. An offer is an offer. If it's not, don't call it one.

money3189 said:
Exactly. Its not good to settle for the 3rd or 4th guy on are board when we have a chance to get 1 or 2. Its a game. You have to play your cards right to get the best guys you can get.

I already addressed that. Don't offer 3rd or 4th if you aren't gonna accept their commit. Keep recruiting them and keeping the lines of communications open, but if they can't commit, then it's not an offer.

Then don't offer #5. You tell him that you like him but you have others you like more. If the opportunity presents itself you'll get back to him and discuss an offer.
Didn't say you don't keep recruiting a kid or flipping kids. But you either offer or you don't. An offer is an offer. If it's not, don't call it one.
Offer means alot more than a offer. For example Terrell Vassel was offered. He is not considered a high priority as a safety but Depaul will have many more great prospects coming out year after year. It helps establish good relationships with the coaches so it opens up opportunities in the future.

I talk to alot of recruiters. These are the type of answers I get from them because I use to feel the same way.

money3189 said:
I talk to alot of recruiters. These are the type of answers I get from them because I use to feel the same way.

I'm not denying it happens. We just saw an example today of a kid we offered...but really didn't.

I'm not denying it happens. We just saw an example today of a kid we offered...but really didn't.
I don't get it. The whole thing apparently is fraught with dealing with equivocations and obfuscations (oh my!). How does a recruiter answer a very direct question? You know - one like - is this an offer or is this an offer offer?

Toga said:
I don't get it. The whole thing apparently is fraught with dealing with equivocations and obfuscations (oh my!). How does a recruiter answer a very direct question? You know - one like - is this an offer or is this an offer offer?

No idea. I didn't notice it when we were at the other 2 sites and I talked daily to the site guys and our coaches. To me it's a way to string along kids and may be why we keep seeing these communication snafus.

Louie and Bouie said:
The most absurd thing is making a decision on social media without informing/messaging or calling the coaches first. That should never happen. Call and talk to the coach first. Simple fix. No confusion.

I don't disagree with that either. If a kid is committing, I would think the first ones he'd want to tell are the coaches.

So, I guess the bigger question is--would the coaches accept a commitment from Clarke? Obviously, Burrell is rated higher, but we have a need at safety.

Would they forego the bird in the hand?

So, I guess the bigger question is--would the coaches accept a commitment from Clarke? Obviously, Burrell is rated higher, but we have a need at safety.

Would they forego the bird in the hand?
Well, I mean, I think we got our answer today. We didn't accept his commitment. Burrell is the target, I have to assume today proves we're going all in on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom