Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

Longer this goes, worse i'm starting to feel about this. Damn NCAA. I really think they have it out for us. First taking Raymon's year, now this.

It wasn't the NCAA that made Raymon sit.

NCAA shouldn't be involved in dictating education requirements.
*High school education requirements

Because if we use this as a blanket statement, then we can't say a word about what happened at UNC since we'd be saying the NCAA shouldn't have a say in dictating college education requirements.

NCAA shouldn't be involved in dictating education requirements.

How should they determine initial eligibility then? Someone mentioned Primetime Academy, which highlights the need to have some kind of standards.

I'm no fan of the NCAA, but you have to have something in place to make sure students have core subjects like math and english completed.

*High school education requirements

Because if we use this as a blanket statement, then we can't say a word about what happened at UNC since we'd be saying the NCAA shouldn't have a say in dictating college education requirements.
You are right I should have included that

How should they determine initial eligibility then? Someone mentioned Primetime Academy, which highlights the need to have some kind of standards.

I'm no fan of the NCAA, but you have to have something in place to make sure students have core subjects like math and english completed.
Well my thought is that if the high school is licensed and approved by the state to issue a state diploma then that should be good enough. Whether a student takes 4 years of math or English shouldn't matter. If the requirement to graduate is only 3 years of math then why should the NCAA tell a student what they need four. Now I could have misunderstood all of this but to me it's the NCAA telling a student and a school they they know more about education then the professionals.

Well my thought is that if the high school is licensed and approved by the state to issue a state diploma then that should be good enough. Whether a student takes 4 years of math or English shouldn't matter. If the requirement to graduate is only 3 years of math then why should the NCAA tell a student what they need four. Now I could have misunderstood all of this but to me it's the NCAA telling a student and a school they they know more about education then the professionals.
It's what you need to qualify for an athletic scholarship, not to graduate from high school.

I would say the problem is more with the prime academy expample. Oh your a great player come play for our school and we will pass you. Getting accredited is t very hard and If you are a private school you could set what ever you want for terms of graduation. It would be unfair for kids who can't get to those schools. There does have to be guidelines I think the big problem is they have to be easier to define and identify what you need to do.

Well in NY, does that mean a student who earns a local diploma has done enough, or do they need to graduate with a Regents? I don't know the answer, but just pointing out that I don't think it's that simple.

You'd like to think the intention is to make sure students are adequately prepared for college courses.

oldpinepoint said:

I think the NCAA also requires 3 years of math.

This is what happened to shy. 2 weeks before school started the staff called the school to talk schedule. They found SHY had classes that the ncaa considered duplicate of previous years. You need 4 years of math and 4 years of english. But each year must not repeat the former. So in SHY's case a class he was taking his senior year was the same ( or the NCAA considered it the same) as one he had passed sophmore year. Also shy was forced to take 2 english senior year because he failed freshman year so he had to take the same type ofclass as freshman year over plus a new senior year one. Also in SHYs case he had failed science sophmore year but had taken summer school. The NCAA wouldnt recognize his summer class because in mass summer school is pass fail ncaa requires a grade assigned to be reflected on the gpa. The guidance counselours new what mass required but had never delt with a division one player trying to make eligibilty. To her credit she worked her ass off with the staff to learn it change his schedule and get him where he needed to be. The eligibilty for the ncaa isnt easy to understand but they need guidlines to prevent PRIME TIME academy from just taking kids to their school and passing them thru bogus course IE North Carolina
Appreciate the example and information. Most of us don't know the craziness surrounding situations like this. Your story also goes to show how informed and involved not only the Syracuse staff was, but it sounds like the school did a great job with responding to the information and being proactive about making sure Shy was given every opportunity to get qualified in accordance with the standards. Lastly, bravo to Shy. Juggling so many changes and overcoming the challenges in front of him to get himself qualified. Bravo young man.

The important thing to take away from all of this is that MB is a serious kid (worked hard once he knew what was expected of him); plays hard (would not be recruited for a Syracuse defense unless he did), and is motivated. I want him on the field in the fall but if he needs a little more time, I will wait. He deserves our patience, too many kids aren't counseled early on for whatever reason. He has made the effort to prove he deserves a shot with the Orange and if we have to wait a season, so be it. All the best, Mr. Blair, we would like you to stop by this fall, but if not, come over in January.

Full_Rebar said:
Well in NY, does that mean a student who earns a local diploma has done enough, or do they need to graduate with a Regents? I don't know the answer, but just pointing out that I don't think it's that simple.

You'd like to think the intention is to make sure students are adequately prepared for college courses.

Don't think local diploma is a thing in NY any more, Bush's education policy NCLBehind squashed it I think. Fact check me though.

Don't think local diploma is a thing in NY any more, Bush's education policy NCLBehind squashed it I think. Fact check me though.

It exists, but it's only used for students with an IEP now. Now, those students can choose to work towards a Regents diploma, but it just shows how leaving it up to the states to decide, doesn't make it easier.

It exists, but it's only used for students with an IEP now. Now, those students can choose to work towards a Regents diploma, but it just shows how leaving it up to the states to decide, doesn't make it easier.

You're not advocating a federal high school diploma are you?

You're not advocating a federal high school diploma are you?

Hey Moe Larry, this slab of academic meat is soitified nyuk nyuk nyuk, by the federal department of edumacation as grade A. Chow down.

http://www.At their request, this n...72501-breaking-blair-denied-admission-by-ncaa

Free Article..

Marquise Blair, Syracuse's top ranked 2015 signee, has been denied admission by the NCAA and is forced to go the junior college route.

Marquise Blair has been denied admission to Syracuse by the NCAA, Wooster High head coach Doug Haas has informed CuseNation.com. The NCAA has been reviewing his academics since June, and made they did not accept some of the courses he took during his senior year. Those same courses were good enough for Wooster High and the state of Ohio in order to graduate, but the NCAA did not accept them.
”We put together a plan for Marquise and he executed it flawlessly,” Haas said. “Unfortunately in the NCAA’s eyes, they did not meet their course requirements.”
Because the NCAA determined that Blair was five credits short of becoming eligible within the clearing house. Because of that, Blair cannot go the prep school route and now has to find a junior college. Because of NCAA rules, that means he has to graduate from junior college before he can enroll through the NCAA. According to coach Haas, this could be done in 18 months and allow him to enroll in January of 2018.
The ruling came down from the NCAA on August 6th, according to coach Haas and Blair has been scrambling to find a junior college ever since. As of Monday afternoon, he was still searching for a landing spot.
Since the NCAA took as long as they did, over two months, it leaves Blair in a difficult situation regarding his junior college prospects. Most of them have already started training camp or are in the process of doing so this week. He has to find a school willing to add him to their program very late in the game.
Blair was Syracuse’s lone four-star prospect in the 2015 class and was an academic risk when he signed. He worked hard during his final two years of high school to make up for previous struggles. Unfortunately, the NCAA did not reward those efforts.
Blair previously told CuseNation.com that even if the NCAA denied his admission, he would still be “all Syracuse.” Coach Haas confirmed that Syracuse will continue to recruit him. However, due to the NCAA ruling, Blair’s recruiting process now opens back up.
The news leaves Syracuse with safeties Rodney Williams, Chauncey Scissum and Antwan Cordy as likely contributors. True freshmen Christopher Fredrick, Kielan Whitner and Daivon Ellison are also in the mix. Blair was expected to crack the two-deep and contribute during his freshman campaign.

How can you tell me the NCAA is for the student when, Blair did everything he was asked of him, then the NCAA takes as long as it can to deny Blair and now he has to try and join a JUCO at the LAST second. If the NCAA really cared about the student they would see that Blair did everything asked of him and would let him join Cuse or at least let him know he was denied in a week or 2 so he can look for a good JUCO. The NCAA is so backwards and so hypocritical it's worse than a joke.