Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

Is it possible that this only wastes one year of eligibility and Blair gets three years in Orange?

I know in the past we've signed some "4 years to play 3" or 3 year JUCO players like Trey Dunk.
I believe that's only because Trey was a full qualifier out of HS, but went the JUCO route to get more exposure.

Why couldn't a kid go the community college route for 2 semesters and then transfer into Syracuse University? This wouldn't even waste a year of eligibility in that he'd have 4 to play 4. Must be some NCAA rule relative to non-qualifiers from HS?

He's got to find a JUCO willing to take him this late, and then let him redshirt an entire season.

Not too likely.

there's a billion jucos that play football and they'd all take him. Doesn't have to be a traditional power. he could go to hudson valley and redshirt.

I believe that's only because Trey was a full qualifier out of HS, but went the JUCO route to get more exposure.

Why couldn't a kid go the community college route for 2 semesters and then transfer into Syracuse University? This wouldn't even waste a year of eligibility in that he'd have 4 to play 4. Must be some NCAA rule relative to non-qualifiers from HS?

He needs to graduate from a JUCO to become eligible. Can't do that in only 2 semesters.

To get away from academic integrity?

Say what you want, and Blair's case is an unfortunate side effect, but these are colleges, and the NCAA does need to maintain some sort of standard.

Because there's clearly a breach of academic integrity when a kid has the necessary standardized test scores, graduates high school and gets accepted into the university that he's recruited to play sports at. Right.

It's not like he received his high school diploma from some diploma mill school. Wooster High school is one of the better high schools in the country.

If the standards prohibit a kid like him from attending school, then there is something wrong with the standards. Or the appeal process. One or the other. How is him having to go off to random JUCO for 2 years where the quality of education undeniably worse than what he'd receive at SU in his best interest?

If I was him, I would sue. I think he's got a great case if he wants to pursue it.

All that I know is we lost a sure fire stud recruit. This was the reason the kid wasn't recruited by tOSU, Michigan, Michigan St, ND, and everyone else, while we got him with hardly a fight. Even though it didn't work out in this case I like the approach. Have a plan in place and take a chance on a high risk academic stud recruit. Sometimes they work out, as in Strickland's case, and sometimes they don't . All I know is we just lost out on an Ohio St level talent, that would have been a 4 year starter for us. There really isn't anyone to blame, but the Frustration continues.

Because there's clearly a breach of academic integrity when a kid has the necessary standardized test scores, graduates high school and gets accepted into the university that he's recruited to play sports at. Right.

It's not like he received his high school diploma from some diploma mill school. Wooster High school is one of the better high schools in the country.

If the standards prohibit a kid like him from attending school, then there is something wrong with the standards. Or the appeal process. One or the other. How is him having to go off to random JUCO for 2 years where the quality of education undeniably worse than what he'd receive at SU in his best interest?

If I was him, I would sue. I think he's got a great case if he wants to pursue it.
Yeah, but how do you differentiate a good high school from a diploma mill when you've got thousands of kids to process every year? Especially in a country of 50 states, where every state controls its own education system?

Blair is a victim of a system here. But there's going to be victims of a system no matter how they do it.

Orangepace said:
Yeah, this couldn't be more from the truth. For example, I was a member of the National Honor Society, entered college with 15 credits already in pocket and aced Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 during my senior year in high school. My Chemistry scores were 25 pts above my biology scores. Yet, the NCAA, the almighty ruling authority, thinks these two courses are too similar?!?!? Wow.

I think that whole post was misunderstood. Biology and chemistry aren't considered too similar. They are however both considered natural or physical sciences. You can use both but you can't use one of them as a social science.

TheCusian said:
Yeah - super odd. The default "college prep" route through HS when I was a student included both - but it's not good enough for NCAA?

There's a grand conspiracy.

tep624 said:
Because there's clearly a breach of academic integrity when a kid has the necessary standardized test scores, graduates high school and gets accepted into the university that he's recruited to play sports at. Right. It's not like he received his high school diploma from some diploma mill school. Wooster High school is one of the better high schools in the country. If the standards prohibit a kid like him from attending school, then there is something wrong with the standards. Or the appeal process. One or the other. How is him having to go off to random JUCO for 2 years where the quality of education undeniably worse than what he'd receive at SU in his best interest? If I was him, I would sue. I think he's got a great case if he wants to pursue it.

Sue for what? Graduating HS is a far lower standard than being NCAA qualified with college prep courses. I know plenty of kids who graduate HS and would never come close to being able to play D1 college athletics. It's apples and oranges. Graduating HS does not mean ready for college work.

I think that whole post was misunderstood. Biology and chemistry aren't considered too similar. They are however both considered natural or physical sciences. You can use both but you can't use one of them as a social science.
Chemistry is definitely a natural, antisocial science.

Social sciences are unnatural.

Sue for what? Graduating HS is a far lower standard than being NCAA qualified with college prep courses. I know plenty of kids who graduate HS and would never come close to being able to play D1 college athletics. It's apples and oranges. Graduating HS does not mean ready for college work.

He didn't "just graduate high school". He graduated high school, has the necessary standardized test scores and was accepted into Syracuse. I believe something similar happened with Edouard last year as well.

Isn't the whole point of standardized tests to determine if a student has the necessary skillset for college coursework?

He didn't "just graduate high school". He graduated high school, has the necessary standardized test scores and was accepted into Syracuse. I believe something similar happened with Edouard last year as well.

Isn't the whole point of standardized tests to determine if a student has the necessary skillset for college coursework?
I thought so, but hey, that HS level Psych or Mythology class is probably more important.

He's got to find a JUCO willing to take him this late, and then let him redshirt an entire season.

Not too likely.

Tiller did that. He could always play his Frosh season and redshirt his Soph year at JUCO too. I've seen that happen before as well.

tep624 said:
He didn't "just graduate high school". He graduated high school, has the necessary standardized test scores and was accepted into Syracuse. I believe something similar happened with Edouard last year as well. Isn't the whole point of standardized tests to determine if a student has the necessary skillset for college coursework?

He got a test score needed based upon his GPA on the core courses of which 5 of the courses were deemed not able to be used. Not everything is a conspiracy and the eligibility requirements are met by most kids but every year there are 1-2 that just don't make it.

I don't think this is too hard to figure out...the NCAA accepted all his traditional classroom credit.

They did not accept online and other classes where "assistance" was permitted (as is often allowed for learning disabled students).

Therefore, the only conclusion I can reach is:

The NCAA wasn't convinced that Marquise did the work himself, or was truly eligible for assisted studies...or both.

Has all his courses been performers in a traditional classroom, I bet he'd be here.

I don't think this is too hard to figure out...the NCAA accepted all his traditional classroom credit.

They did not accept online and other classes where "assistance" was permitted (as is often allowed for learning disabled students).

The NCAA wasn't convinced that Marquise did the work himself, or was truly eligible for assisted studies...or both.

Has all his courses been performers in a traditional classroom, I bet he'd be here.

Yup. At the end of the day, the kid dug himself too deep of a hole, and needed all of those non-traditional coursework just to keep his head above ground. I commend Blair for busting his a$$ for the past 18 months to do everything he could to get above the line of demarcation, but it was just too much to overcome.

Look forward to seeing him play in two years.

if SU is where he wants to end up wouldnt RS be the best thing for him? if being recruited is the goal then more playing means more chances at being seen

There's a grand conspiracy.

I wasn't assuming a grand conspiracy. I was responding to Bam's post. I may have read it wrong. Maybe that's why I thought it was odd? Sheesh. Your post on "social science" makes sense. So thanks, I guess.

Even now the NCAA is trying to find a way to sanction us for said "assistance".

What's the scenario if he goes JUCO for three semesters, enrolls Jan 2017, and is cleared but doesn't play football? He goes to get his grades in order only. Would he still be a 4 and 4 guy? This may have something to do with the eligibility clock starting to tick but I don't know the specifics of how that works.

I'm taking the approach that Blair would have played little (most likely special teams) this year and MAY have started next year, BUT certainly would start his Junior Year. So, if we can hold on to him, he will have two years of experience under his belt, his classes in order, and something to prove by the time he gets to us his Junior year.

He might be moving away from that practice but I'm not sure he would do it year one when we've already been recruiting the players in that situation.

Not for FB/Hoops, but the other sports. I think there will be exceptions, not as wide-open as it was previously.

He needs to graduate from a JUCO to become eligible. Can't do that in only 2 semesters.
Understand, but was mostly just curious if it's an NCAA rule specific to athletes. Seems it is.

upperdeck said:
if SU is where he wants to end up wouldnt RS be the best thing for him? if being recruited is the goal then more playing means more chances at being seen

Ya but then why would the JC waste a roster
Spot on a kid who has no interest in actually playing. No JC team would take him as
A favor just to have him redshirt.