Spoiler Alert - Saddest Television Moments? | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert Saddest Television Moments?

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
Last night's episode of "Downton Abbey" almost had me in tears, which is saying a lot. I'm usually immune to human deaths in films and television; animal deaths are a whole other story.

It got me thinking about some of the saddest moments on popular TV shows. "Six Feet Under" had a lot of them. I vaguely remember the father's death on "Good Times" being rather sad, but it might have been that I was just young.

Oops, I should have put in the title that it's a spoiler for "Downton Abbey." Mods, can you help?

Thanks

For anyone who has watched The Wire, and trying not to give away too much for those who haven't:

Poot, Bodie, and Wallace in the empty apartment...and then the scene with DeAngelo asking Stringer, repeatedly, "Where's Wallace?"

And then in season four, Carver walking down the hall while Randy calls after him, "You gonna help ME, Officer Carver?"

Those two moments were brutal (in a good way).

Since I think The Wire is the greatest show of all-time, another scene that gets me a little misty (just about every Bubbles scene could fit into this, though):

Col Henry Blake on MASH. That was so secret that they kept it hidden from the cast and delivered the message via a real "telegram" to Radar O'Reilly. He was handed the sheet of paper off camera, which was the radioed message he was told to read to the cast as they were filming an operating scene. The most honest and genuine emotional reaction on screen, ever. Those tears and sobs were real. The cast and crew were literally shocked.

Actually, this is the scene that made me cry more than any other, since it was the official ending to The Wire. DO NOT watch this if you haven't seen the show but plan to some day. And if you don't plan on watching the show, I don't want to know you. It is, seriously, the greatest show ever.

When Fonzi jumped the shark. I was pulling for the shark.

I was shocked, and disappointed when Mrs. Landingham died on West Wing.

And this was a long time ago - but didn't Edith Bunker die at the end of the series? I remember Archie sitting at the edge of the bed.

Last night's episode of "Downton Abbey" almost had me in tears, which is saying a lot. I'm usually immune to human deaths in films and television; animal deaths are a whole other story.

It got me thinking about some of the saddest moments on popular TV shows. "Six Feet Under" had a lot of them. I vaguely remember the father's death on "Good Times" being rather sad, but it might have been that I was just young.

Oops, I should have put in the title that it's a spoiler for "Downton Abbey." Mods, can you help?

Thanks

I was curious why she hadn't been given a larger role in the show. It sounds wrong, but she's got the looks to become far more than a small part on a popular show. I wonder if her departure was her choice or theirs.

Thanks

I was sad when Derrick Reese took a shot to the head in the finale of Terminator: TSCC. I was also bummed when Charlie was taken out a couple episodes earlier by Cromartie as he tried to save John. Thank goodness he's back as Mayhem in the AllState commercials. :)

Although I didn't watch the show religiously, I thought ER did a spectacular job with the passing of Anthony Edwards' character from cancer. That was sad.

What about Jimmy Smits on NYPD Blue? I never watched that show either but heard people make a big deal about it when his character died.

I was sad when Derrick Reese took a shot to the head in the finale of Terminator: TSCC. I was also bummed when Charlie was taken out a couple episodes earlier by Cromartie as he tried to save John. Thank goodness he's back as Mayhem in the AllState commercials. :)

Although I didn't watch the show religiously, I thought ER did a spectacular job with the passing of Anthony Edwards' character from cancer. That was sad.

What about Jimmy Smits on NYPD Blue? I never watched that show either but heard people make a big deal about it when his character died.
Yes. Mark Green from ER is near the top of my list.

Col Henry Blake on MASH. That was so secret that they kept it hidden from the cast and delivered the message via a real "telegram" to Radar O'Reilly. He was handed the sheet of paper off camera, which was the radioed message he was told to read to the cast as they were filming an operating scene. The most honest and genuine emotional reaction on screen, ever. Those tears and sobs were real. The cast and crew were literally shocked.
Had forgotten about that one. It was a shocker. And thanks. Didn't know the story.

I was curious why she hadn't been given a larger role in the show. It sounds wrong, but she's got the looks to become far more than a small part on a popular show. I wonder if her departure was her choice or theirs.
She's pretty hot. Entertainment Weekly said she wanted to branch out but it didn't sound very specific.

Jimmy Smits was a good one. real tear-jerker. And the entire arc of Anthony Edwards cancer on ER was done so well.

When Fonzi jumped the shark. I was pulling for the shark.

I was shocked, and disappointed when Mrs. Landingham died on West Wing.

And this was a long time ago - but didn't Edith Bunker die at the end of the series? I remember Archie sitting at the edge of the bed.
Good call on Mrs. Landingham.

The moments when Gibbs (NCIS) reminisces about his daughter and wife. Especially during episode "Requiem."

Adding on to NCIS, judgement day part 1 and 2. If you have seen those you know what I mean, I won't spoil it. That had a bit teary eyed. Especially part 2 when Gibbs, Franks, and Vance are looking at the fire, and then everyone in the NCIS room watching it on tv. Definetly a sad couple episodes.

how about the final scene of mash when hawkeye leaves in the helicopter and BJ spelled out goodbye with rocks?

That Downton episode was rough. I had a colleague I was close to pass away a few years ago due to eclampsia a week after the birth of her son so that kind of hit a little closer to home than I normally would like.

My roommates and I sat in stunned silence when Nate died in Six Feet Under. His funeral episode was pretty hard to take as well.

And this isn't a TV show, but Les Miserables gets me every single time no matter the medium. PBS showing the 25th Anniversary Concert sucks me in. Just something about the futility of their "revolution" and "Drink With Me" and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables," the naivety of youth is sometimes heartbreaking.

That Downton episode was rough. I had a colleague I was close to pass away a few years ago due to eclampsia a week after the birth of her son so that kind of hit a little closer to home than I normally would like.

My roommates and I sat in stunned silence when Nate died in Six Feet Under. His funeral episode was pretty hard to take as well.

And this isn't a TV show, but Les Miserables gets me every single time no matter the medium. PBS showing the 25th Anniversary Concert sucks me in. Just something about the futility of their "revolution" and "Drink With Me" and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables," the naivety of youth is sometimes heartbreaking.
Agreed about Les Miserables. Every freakin' time.

Since I think The Wire is the greatest show of all-time, another scene that gets me a little misty (just about every Bubbles scene could fit into this, though):

WIRE SPOILER: DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE WIRE

Omar's final scene in the series. I'm a tad ashamed to admit this, but after religiously watching that show I never watched the last two or three episodes once he was killed. I've meant to now for years, but just never got around to it.

When the orcas were playing badminton with a dead seal in Planet Earth. Not a dry eye in the ocean.

When the orcas were playing badminton with a dead seal in Planet Earth. Not a dry eye in the ocean.

I think something incredibly sad is going to happen in the second to last episode of season three of GoT.