Sala named VP and Chief Campus Facilities Officer | Syracusefan.com

Sala named VP and Chief Campus Facilities Officer

CuseLegacy

"Sala will serve as the University’s vice president and chief campus facilities officer. In this new and expanded role, Sala will continue to oversee all operations at the Carrier Dome. He will now also oversee several departments on campus, including Campus Planning, Design and Construction; Business and Facilities Maintenance Services; Physical Plant; Housing and Food Services Maintenance; and Energy Systems & Sustainability Management. Sala will report to Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Louis Marcoccia. The appointment is to be confirmed by the University’s Board of Trustees at its next meeting."

With his new authority, perhaps Pete could tell the nice folks at Physical Plant that all those new trees on the 44 Plaza would like to be watered this summer.

Maintenance should be part and parcel of these capital projects.

With his new authority, perhaps Pete could tell the nice folks at Physical Plant that all those new trees on the 44 Plaza would like to be watered this summer.

Maintenance should be part and parcel of these capital projects.

Not that I've seen them, but are they dying?

With trees you want to water quit a bit the first week you plant them, but then once roots are starting to set, you want to reduce watering so the roots go down to find new water. If you water too often, the roots will stay at the surface, which is typically not a good situation for trees.

Not that I've seen them, but are they dying?

With trees you want to water quit a bit the first week you plant them, but then once roots are starting to set, you want to reduce watering so the roots go down to find new water. If you water too often, the roots will stay at the surface, which is typically not a good situation for trees.

True - that is a good point.

The trees are starting to look bad; we lucked out with some rainy weather, but it's going to be dry for a few days. SU's recent history with these things is disappointing; Chancy Nancy's middle management did an awful job making sure these sorts of details were taken care of, and I haven't seen much improvement. The Physical Plant guys were out last summer replacing most of a long hedge along Comstock at Manley. They didn't bother to string a line and never came back to water. This summer, most of the (crooked) bushes are dead. Same deal for the trees and shrubs planted in front of the football complex a couple years ago. SU's campus looks shabbier than it should.

I'm curious: does Pete have a degree in engineering? Being responsible for facilities planning and maintenance campus-wide is a huge responsibility. Regardless, congratulations!

Sent Pete a congratulatory email last night and he was very appreciative. I'm telling you guys - everything you see and hear about all the good this guy does, he does it better. In the grand scheme of things Pete is the head of our athletic department, and he's responding to my (low totem pole guy) emails. He is everything you'd want from a higher up at a major university. First class kinda guy. Couldn't be happier for him!

And Pete surrounds himself with smart, hard working people. If he's got an engineering question, he can just ask his brother.
Yeah maybe an electrical engineering question... :)

IMHO, they are setting the table for a Carrier Dome remodel...great choice.
i agree although i would rather see a new retractable roof stadium than a remodel. if they remodel it needs to be a great deal more than lipstick on a pig. no matter what they do they need to keep the pee troughs. seems that5 several stadiums still use them including 5 in the sec. wrigley field kept them after their remodel. in addition to being faster and to move the public through, i guess they may be more efficient in water conservation

Last edited: