Salaries for Assistant Coaches | Syracusefan.com

Salaries for Assistant Coaches

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but the recent USA Today article is an interesting one.

Here's a quick list of the OC and DC salaries from the ACC. Quick note: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Miami and Wake Forest do not have salaries disclosed according to this report.

Virginia Tech (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $3.583M)
Bud Foster - VT DC - $1.356M
Scot Loeffler - VT OC - $400K

Clemson (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $4.448M)
Chad Morris - Clemson OC - $1.3M
Brent Venables - Clemson DC - $875K

Louisville (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $3.225M)
Todd Grantham - Louisville DC - $975K
Garrick McGee - Louisville OC - $650K

Virginia (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $2.908M)
Tom O'Brien - Virginia Assoc. HC/OC - $750K
Jon Tenuta - Virginia DC - $500K
Steve Fairchild - Virginia OC - $450K

Georgia Tech (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $2.233M)
Ted Roof - Georgia Tech DC - $622K
Bryan Cook - Georgia Tech OC - $183K (HC Johnson is basically OC)

Florida State (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $3.386M)
Randy Sanders - FSU Co-OC - $500K
Charles Kelly - FSU DC - $500K
Rick Trickett - FSU Asst. HC - $500K
Odell Haggins - FSU Assoc. HC - $370K
Lawrence Dawsey - FSU Co-OC - $370K
Tim Brewster - FSU Recruiting Coord. - $350K

N.C. State (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $2.692M)
Matt Canada - N.C. State OC - $500K
Dave Huxtable - N.C. State DC - $450K

North Carolina (Total Asst. Coach Compensation - $2.051M)
Dan Disch - UNC DC - $250K
Gunter Brewer - UNC OC - $250K
Seth Littrell - UNC Asst. HC/TE - $250K
Vic Koenning - UNC Assoc. HC/Safeties - $250K
Chris Kapilovic - UNC Co-OC/OL - $250K
Ron West - UNC Co-DC/LB - $250K

UNC's assistant coaching structure is weird, and overall UNC and GT have by far the lowest salaries for assistants. But all of the schools minus UNC have at least one - or in most cases two or three guys (FSU 6) - making at least $350K. And UNC has 6 guys making $250K - which I would guess is more than we have.

We can do a lot better than Lester or McDonald (and arguably Bullough for what he was when we hired him) for $350K per year, which leads me to believe one of two things.

1) Shafer picked out his own guys and didn't get maximum value out of his allotted salary slots, or
2) Every person saying we are competitive with salaries for assistant coaches is full of it.

Wow those are some huge numbers. I didn't know Foster was well over $1m for a DC job at VT.

This is an area where the ACC money should be used in the future.

Wow those are some huge numbers. I didn't know Foster was well over $1m for a DC job at VT.

I'm pretty sure I read it was a one time retention bonus that put him that high this year.

It helps to have been around forever. Salaries build up.

that's just this year because he got a bonus of 800k from va tech to stay this past year vs leaving to become head coach

UNC's assistant coaching structure is weird, and overall UNC and GT have by far the lowest salaries for assistants. But all of the schools minus UNC have at least one - or in most cases two or three guys (FSU 6) - making at least $350K. And UNC has 6 guys making $250K - which I would guess is more than we have.
Syracuse, Wake Forest and Duke are would be toward the lower end as well. I suspect that BC may be a tad higher.

We can do a lot better than Lester or McDonald (and arguably Bullough for what he was when we hired him) for $350K per year, which leads me to believe one of two things.

1) Shafer picked out his own guys and didn't get maximum value out of his allotted salary slots, or
2) Every person saying we are competitive with salaries for assistant coaches is full of it.

I would argue:
  1. Shafer likes having his guys around
  2. the timing of FHCDM's departure made it more difficult for SS to reach outside of the old gang
  3. SU's coaching budget is likely of the small-but-flexible variety, in which the starting pool of funds is less than great (though improving) but where additional funds can be allocated for the right/qualified candidates. If HCSS wanted to hire an experienced OC this off season (not named Chad Morris :) ) then that could've happened.

I would have thought Florida State would have had the highest paid coaches across the board, am surprised to see otherwise ...