SB Nation ACC power rankings by tier | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SB Nation ACC power rankings by tier

Yes - if the coach has a winning personality and character and there is progress with the program. Bottom line, though, the coach needs to win a share of rivalry games in November. Can't go 0 for November two years in a row. I am not setting a high standard. Patience has limits.

Failure doesn't, however. Playing revolving HC is a good way to perpetuate failure.

bcubs9497 said:
Failure doesn't, however. Playing revolving HC is a good way to perpetuate failure.

I wouldn't expect you to know this, but for Greg Robinson's 4th year failure was not only likely, but entirely expected. I don't think Shafer is Robinson, but giving a coach more time, in and of itself, doesn't make success likely.

I don't disagree that patience can be beneficial. But it's also not a panacea.

to keep a bad coach just for stability is insane- and we all know the saying about insanity

I wouldn't expect you to know this, but for Greg Robinson's 4th year failure was not only likely, but entirely expected. I don't think Shafer is Robinson, but giving a coach more time, in and of itself, doesn't make success likely.

I don't disagree that patience can be beneficial. But it's also not a panacea.

Yep - risky either way. Wait too long, dig too deep. Pull the plug too quick, stuck in rebuilding mode.

to keep a bad coach just for stability is insane- and we all know the saying about insanity

Pure nonsense. No one is saying "let's keep a bad coach on just for stability"... You keep someone on because there have been mixed results, ie. the quality of the coach isn't determined yet. After two years we are squarely in the mixed results portion.

Pure nonsense. No one is saying "let's keep a bad coach on just for stability"... You keep someone on because there have been mixed results, ie. the quality of the coach isn't determined yet. After two years we are squarely in the mixed results portion.
You'll never convince that guy. It's too late for him. Negativity to the core.

robinson showed from day 1 he wasnt head coaching material -schafer hasnt shown a lot more -
You'll never convince that guy. It's too late for him. Negativity to the core.

hey if you like a coach who has more huge blowouts in his first 2 years than every other su coach - gooooooood fur yoooo

lots of blow outs- bad oc hire - bad oline hire - the replacement oc showed nothing after 8 games(this is were you chime in with patented excuses 9-15)

ive said all along he has to show something this year- if thats to negative for the koolaid drinkers- i dont give a baboons red azz

robinson showed from day 1 he wasnt head coaching material -schafer hasnt shown a lot more -

hey if you like a coach who has more huge blowouts in his first 2 years than every other su coach - gooooooood fur yoooo

lots of blow outs- bad oc hire - bad oline hire - the replacement oc showed nothing after 8 games(this is were you chime in with patented excuses 9-15)

ive said all along he has to show something this year- if thats to negative for the koolaid drinkers- i dont give a baboons red azz
This is the third year. It isn't that hard to spell !!

*Shafer.

Does an extension really matter though? I mean, people are pretty savvy about that sort of thing. If someone is concerned about SS's long term situation at SU, would the proverbial "vote of confidence" via an extension really do anything? Especially since as a private school we don't announce the terms of our contracts anyway.
Technically 90% of the money in the coach's contracts is paid by IMG so not really "undisclosable" and also they are disclosed when the school has to report financials to the federal government for federal funding.

Step away from the ledge...and if you can't already recognize the difference between Shafer and Robinson yet, then there really is no hope for you. Using just W-L is not looking at the whole picture. I bet you are the guy that would watch a drag race and bitch about a car losing a race after he blew an engine and still not understand exactly why the car lost.

BTW - You forgot to mention that Shafer has more wins in 2 years than Robinson had in 4.

Good Day Sir!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...acc-power-rankings-2015-florida-state-clemson

We are in tier 4 with Wake Forest. This is why patience can't be expected by our fanbase. We are in year 3 of the Scott Shafer Era. Either give him extension now and say he is the HC of the foreseeable future or this is a make it or break it season. There can be no other mindset. Our FB brand is pathetic right now and I don't care about the schedule as we all know it has been tough hard in the OOC games. Our 2 year ranking in the SS has been 60th in the nation and our 5 year ranking is 68th in the nation.

If you think SS is the guy Syracuse then give the man an extension and the fanbase will unite, but this hedging BS is killing us on the recruiting trail and keeps the freaking fanbase divided between the kool aid drinkers and people who want change.

Love the limitation of categories of fans. Kool-aid drinker or people who want change. Classic.

Love the limitation of categories of fans. Kool-aid drinker or people who want change. Classic.
I have neither the time nor inclination to get into a sparring session over this comment. If you honestly read my post and that is what your going to take away from I can't tell you what to think but my reaction is really?

I have neither the time nor inclination to get into a sparring session over this comment. If you honestly read my post and that is what your going to take away from I can't tell you what to think but my reaction is really?

I for one can cut Shafer some slack for last year because of injuries, however his staff decisions have been questionable, and hiring a inexperienced OC was frankly absurd. I like the guy but he must get his house in order quickly or he can not last long. I could live with an extension, but it would need to be a limited one(2 years max). I must see the program on a upward trend and improvement in offensive production this year and next, then a contract extension of greater duration should be done, if we get more of the same then he needs to go.

Some of you guys a ridiculous with how negative you are about Shafer. Damn! We got it you don't think he is a good coach. You want to be able to be the first ones to say I told you so. Great well some aren't buying that. In some instances time and a little patience are required. He is not Saban but Saban had to start some where and before you start pulling up Sabans first year stats my point is you have to start somewhere. It is a work in progress that seems to be getting somewhere with recruits. We have been pretty bad for a few years you don't just magically get better, you have to build the damn program which is what he is trying to do.

By the way you don't need to respond to try and prove why you don't think he is good to me. I've read all the angles and I'm not convinced that he isn't the answer and this post is not to try and convince you he is. If you think he has had enough time to prove himself and get the turmoil that was left for him settled than I think you are impatient. DM had just started to get things turned around and left and we had not even turned the corner so I don't give me he had talent here.

Some of you guys a ridiculous with how negative you are about Shafer. Damn! We got it you don't think he is a good coach. You want to be able to be the first ones to say I told you so. Great well some aren't buying that. In some instances time and a little patience are required. He is not Saban but Saban had to start some where and before you start pulling up Sabans first year stats my point is you have to start somewhere. It is a work in progress that seems to be getting somewhere with recruits. We have been pretty bad for a few years you don't just magically get better, you have to build the damn program which is what he is trying to do.

By the way you don't need to respond to try and prove why you don't think he is good to me. I've read all the angles and I'm not convinced that he isn't the answer and this post is not to try and convince you he is. If you think he has had enough time to prove himself and get the turmoil that was left for him settled than I think you are impatient. DM had just started to get things turned around and left and we had not even turned the corner so I don't give me he had talent here.
I somewhat agree. I thought SS's first year was better than anything Marrone put up. His second year, Lombardi couldn't have won with the QB's we were throwing out there. He might not be the answer. But we really don't know yet