Scary moment in San Diego State game... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scary moment in San Diego State game...

No need to watch it because it is an ever moving video in my memory banks. I could vividly see him dunking the ball as only he could and running back on defense turning and then collapsing but then only trying to get up because that was the fight and toughness in him. But then the people laying him back down and he starts shaking. His mother rushing to the court and Hank not moving at all at that time. I knew it was really bad then. I really believed that he was gone by the time they took him off the court. We had just beat the hell of Siena in the semis while hearing the news during the game and myself, Doug Overton, Train and Randy Woods collapsing and crying like babies in the locker room and team meeting. Fordham was going to award us the game for the chip in the MAAC. But we talked to Doug who was the closest to Hank and he said, "WE ARE PLAYING BECAUSE HANK WOULD WANT US TO PLAY BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HE LOVED TO DO AND DIED DOING AND HE WOULD BE MAD IF WE DIDN'T."
Wow, OGBJ, that was some LaSalle team that you played on. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/la-salle/1990.html

...they had a senior player collapse during the game, and remain on the floor for more than 10 minutes.

Apparently, he remained conscious the entire time, and ended up being responsive while being carted off the floor. Scary, given some past incidents where players have collapsed during games [RIP, McNasty], but sounds like it was a positive outcome.
i still get the heebie jeebies thinking about that ref dropping dead at the east carolina game years ago. he was making some strange calls (understandably in retrospect) so I was watching him when he went down and convulsed. i might've screamed like a small girl maybe.

Here is the video, if you can bring yourself to watch it...

Little known fact. The point guard for Portland, who was on the court when Hank collapsed. was Erik Spoelstra.

That was brutal. OGBJ, I'm sorry to have dredged this up by referencing that situation last night.

It was eerie to see the crowd go silent like that. Not that I'm putting this on the same level, but I vividly remember a Georgetown game when I was a kid, where the cheerleader fell and hit her head on the Dome floor. 30,000+ boisterous fans in the Dome, all of whom hate Georgetown, got so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. The only sound was the girl screaming in pain while the paramedics attended to her. You could have heard a pin drop.

So when they talked about that in the video clip, I knew exactly what they meant.

OG did u play with Lionel Simmons? He was awesome!

Idiot...I didn't open the box score...of course u did...wow.

no, lionel simmons played with him
L-Train & Instant Offense.jpg
We have a great time talking about old times at LaSalle and growing up together.

Definitely hits close to home. I have a similar condition to what Hank G. died from and have only lived due to an ICD implanted in my chest. I know the feeling of collapsing like that, suddenly without warning and having the world fade. Fortunately, the defibrillator in my chest works! I think about all those athletes that have died because of cardiac arrest quite often. I was a runner and used to be able to push to any limit my body would take me, not I have to be careful with exercise and can never go all out. I'll bet he had warnings prior to the episode and thought nothing of it. I almost did, luckily I went to the Cardiologist and was able to put in place a monitor that caught the issue. It's a lesson many need to listen to. Don't ignore hat you feel in your chest, it may be your undoing!

Definitely hits close to home. I have a similar condition to what Hank G. died from and have only lived due to an ICD implanted in my chest. I know the feeling of collapsing like that, suddenly without warning and having the world fade. Fortunately, the defibrillator in my chest works! I think about all those athletes that have died because of cardiac arrest quite often. I was a runner and used to be able to push to any limit my body would take me, not I have to be careful with exercise and can never go all out. I'll bet he had warnings prior to the episode and thought nothing of it. I almost did, luckily I went to the Cardiologist and was able to put in place a monitor that caught the issue. It's a lesson many need to listen to. Don't ignore hat you feel in your chest, it may be your undoing!
Yeah he collapsed earlier in that season and was put on meds.

Here is the box score. It was a fun game to play in. Still looking for game video.
Box Score
A lot of numbers jump off the page there. The crazy one for me was the 32 turnovers LMU had. Do we even have that many possessions in a game now?

i still get the heebie jeebies thinking about that ref dropping dead at the east carolina game years ago. he was making some strange calls (understandably in retrospect) so I was watching him when he went down and convulsed. i might've screamed like a small girl maybe.

Did that ref actually die? For some reason I thought he survived.

A lot of numbers jump off the page there. The crazy one for me was the 32 turnovers LMU had. Do we even have that many possessions in a game now?
Bo and I talked about the game recently and he stated that they did not worry about the TO's because most teams could not play at that frantic pace to shoot well enough on a consistent basis to beat them. Running to other teams was = them slowing down. We got more attempts and most of us was not ready to play that fast of a pace for 30-40mins. That system worked for them that night because we did not capitalize on their TO's. Fatigue set in on us as well. We convert half of them and win going away. Still we had a chance. I remember us going 5 on 7 to try to emulate the speed that they played at in practice by having two players at half court after an offensive possession. That was a lot of fun that night.