Scott Shafer and Clemson's Dabo Swinney clear the air: 'Me and Dabo get along just fine' (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer and Clemson's Dabo Swinney clear the air: 'Me and Dabo get along just fine' (PS)

I never figured they disliked each other, just that Shafer got pissed we were getting our butts handed too us and finally able to get his guys to make a play we sorely needed to make.

LOL..PR Stuff...makings of a good rivalRy.

Schafer is just hoping for the chance to return the favor.

Hopefully we can eventually hold up our end of the bargain sooner rather than later.

Im sure the coaches get along fine, and most Clemson fans have been great (likely helped by the fact i loathe USC as well), but this SU fan (assuming I'm not alone either) won't soon forget that move by Dabo.

Hopefully we can eventually hold up our end of the bargain sooner rather than later.

Im sure the coaches get along fine, and most Clemson fans have been great (likely helped by the fact i loathe USC as well), but this SU fan (assuming I'm not alone either) won't soon forget that move by Dabo.

I can see it in either direction. First, your job is to stop us (and you did)...not the other way around. Teams routinely now go for 2 when they don't "need to". We were up by 30+, we didn't and weren't going to need the 3 points, and the teams red zone offense had been the sticking part for most of the early part of the season, we likely weren't going to have the starters in much more in the 2nd half and he wanted to see them pound it in. Some folks think kicking a FG is just a little less insulting than taking a knee, they'd rather have the chance to 'stop you'.

Like I said, and what makes sports great...there will be a time where y'all will get the chance to return the favor in one way or another I am sure.

I can see it in either direction. First, your job is to stop us (and you did)...not the other way around. Teams routinely now go for 2 when they don't "need to". We were up by 30+, we didn't and weren't going to need the 3 points, and the teams red zone offense had been the sticking part for most of the early part of the season, we likely weren't going to have the starters in much more in the 2nd half and he wanted to see them pound it in. Some folks think kicking a FG is just a little less insulting than taking a knee, they'd rather have the chance to 'stop you'.

Like I said, and what makes sports great...there will be a time where y'all will get the chance to return the favor in one way or another I am sure.

You don't take a knee in the red zone unless it's the end of the 4th quarter and that comment was a jab as well. You kick the field goal and go up 31 points going into the half.

Needless to say, I hope our HC makes a better call than putting star players in a position where one opposition player could take exception and end their career. Risk/Reward doesn't pay off. Thankfully our players were above that, but you can't assume all teams/players would be.

Personally I think taking a knee is the most insulting thing you can do to a football team.

I'll never be mad at a team for trying to score however they choose in the first half of a game. I was surprised by the decision but never took it as hard as some of the other SU fans. If that had been the 4th quarter, I would've tabbed it as classless. In the first half, no way (apparently some of my fellow SU fans forget the reverse we ran against Rutgers in '98 already up 28-0 with under 6 minutes to go in the half or the 50 yard bomb with 15 seconds to go in the first half to put us up 42-7).

I'll never be mad at a team for trying to score however they choose in the first half of a game. I was surprised by the decision but never took it as hard as some of the other SU fans. If that had been the 4th quarter, I would've tabbed it as classless. In the first half, no way (apparently some of my fellow SU fans forget the reverse we ran against Rutgers in '98 already up 28-0 with under 6 minutes to go in the half or the 50 yard bomb with 15 seconds to go in the first half to put us up 42-7).
I'm w/ you...I was surprised by it, and I won't say I would like it if positions were reversed, but I don't think it would strike me like it has many here as completely insulting. But again, I'll let you know when positions are reversed one day...lol

You don't take a knee in the red zone unless it's the end of the 4th quarter and that comment was a jab as well. You kick the field goal and go up 31 points going into the half.

Needless to say, I hope our HC makes a better call than putting star players in a position where one opposition player could take exception and end their career. Risk/Reward doesn't pay off. Thankfully our players were above that, but you can't assume all teams/players would be.

If your guys, or any guys, would take cheap shots for what we did...they are going to find any reason to take cheap shots. Note - I never thought or think your guys would have done so.

Honestly I never understood what the big deal was? It was the 2nd quarter, you don't start thinking about the scoreboard until after half time. I had absolutely no problem with his decision, and was pretty embarrassed by Shafer's reaction.

If your guys, or any guys, would take cheap shots for what we did...they are going to find any reason to take cheap shots. Note - I never thought or think your guys would have done so.

We've played enough teams that would. One that had a nasty habit of diving at knees on kneel downs even.

Go cocks. :). I loathe Clemson.

Wait till we beat them eventually, all those fuzzy and friendly Clemson fans will start blaming refs, the weather etc Etc etc etc. At least the one I lived around.

(I lived in SC for a while, and learned to prefer the Gamecocks even though I loathe the entire SEC)

It was a crappy coaching decision by Dabo. They were trying to put the game out of reach, nail in the coffin, before the half and it almost backfired. We stopped them and then came out in the 2nd with some momentum.

He tries that in a tighter game - or if our QB wasn't in his first real game - could have come back to haunt him. I took it like Shafer - he was being arrogant.

Anyways - doesn't much matter. They'll be cool with each other till game time this year. Cannot wait.

It was a crappy coaching decision by Dabo. They were trying to put the game out of reach, nail in the coffin, before the half and it almost backfired. We stopped them and then came out in the 2nd with some momentum.

He tries that in a tighter game - or if our QB wasn't in his first real game - could have come back to haunt him. I took it like Shafer - he was being arrogant.

Anyways - doesn't much matter. They'll be cool with each other till game time this year. Cannot wait.

So if the game was tight, then you still think we wouldn't have just taken the 3? Almost backfired?

I get a kick out of Spurrier and you have to admit he has Dabo's number and no doubt is in his head.

No doubt...we need to end this run they're on this year, it's about the only chink in the program right now.

I thought it was a great decision. SU has had some big 2nd half comebacks in the Dome over the years. There was no real risk, he had a comfortable lead. The reward was that it could be the nail in the coffin.

I get why Shafer was upset. When someone is beating the dog out of you, and nearly keeps it up, I'm sure it's not easy to hold in all the emotion.

When I saw the picture, I wondered if Dabo even knew about it. Or cared. I'm sure he spends a lot more time thinking about Spurrier and Jimbo than he does about Shafer.

I thought it was a great decision. SU has had some big 2nd half comebacks in the Dome over the years. There was no real risk, he had a comfortable lead. The reward was that it could be the nail in the coffin.

I get why Shafer was upset. When someone is beating the dog out of you, and nearly keeps it up, I'm sure it's not easy to hold in all the emotion.

When I saw the picture, I wondered if Dabo even knew about it. Or cared. I'm sure he spends a lot more time thinking about Spurrier and Jimbo than he does about Shafer.
i don't understand how people are upset about the other coaching making a bad decision

Dabo made a dumb gamble and boy did it make me mad. ???

(i don't think it was a dumb gamble at all)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom